Disc Brakes on a class A?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

When I had my front tires replaced on my 1985(6) Allegro I was shocked to find out it has disc brakes in the front. Is that common or uncommon?

What freaked me out, was to find disk brakes on the back of my 1988 Elandan. I thought there was no brakes on the rear wheels since it has the drum brake on the drive shaft. Great! now I have to worry about resurfing four rotors when they get warped. ::)

Fred G. said:
What freaked me out, was to find disk brakes on the back of my 1988 Elandan. I thought there was no brakes on the rear wheels since it has the drum brake on the drive shaft. Great! now I have to worry about resurfing four rotors when they get warped. ::)

My 1988 Hawkins has four wheel (or is that six wheel?) disc brakes...well, front and rear. Had 'em redone about a year ago, and it wasn't that expensive.
'

Punomatic said:
My 1988 Hawkins has four wheel (or is that six wheel?) disc brakes...well, front and rear. Had 'em redone about a year ago, and it wasn't that expensive.
'
You mean you have two rear axles, and each wheel has disk brakes (four)??
how much did you paid for the four you did? if you don't mind me asking.

Fred G. said:
You mean you have two rear axles, and each wheel has disk brakes (four)??
how much did you paid for the four you did? if you don't mind me asking.

No. I have one rear axle. I had front and rear disc brakes rebuilt for about $485. It didn't involve turning the rotors.

digiacomo said:
hey fred,

i think the drive shaft brake is the emergency brake........ ;)..........

some call it an emergency brake, in reality it is a parking brake 
peter d

some call it an emergency brake, in reality it is a parking brake peter d

i'll remember never to use it in case of brake failure than, thanks  ::)

I think TBirds had them first in the early sixties. I have had disc brakes on almost every car I have ever owned. When I bought this motorhome I just assumed it had drum brakes because they didn't feel like disc brakes to me. But by golly, they are discs. And with a ton of pad still left on them.

Disk brake technology has been around since the 1890s.  They were further developed and used (not always successfully) on British cars from 1902-1949 before becoming near standard equipment.

First American car was the 1949-53 Chrysler Imperial. (early design) 

Next was the 1963 Studebaker Avanti, then the 1965 Rambler and the 1965 Corvette. (modern design)

Call the drum brake on the drive shaft a parking or emergency brake but unless your rig came with a anchor and a chain its the only emergency brake on most so configured rigs. In the event of brake failure hit the RED button (red for emergency) and the rear tires will stop the rig AFAP!

My '91 P30 has disk brakes on all 4 corners. Sliding calipers...

I did new pads on all 4 for $50 TOTAL! IT isn't a very hard job, just dirty...

PorscheMark said:
My '91 P30 has disk brakes on all 4 corners. Sliding calipers...

I did new pads on all 4 for $50 TOTAL! IT isn't a very hard job, just dirty...

Is the bleeding the same as a regular vehicle? I'm planning to do the brakes after I send it for front aligment.

In the event of brake failure hit the RED button (red for emergency) and the rear tires will stop the rig AFAP!
That's true for a diesel with air brakes - dump the air by hitting the red button and the spring brakes will apply.

But a gas motorhome uses hydraulic brakes and a driveshaft parking brake.  It's used instead of the parking pawl in lighter weight vehicles because a motorhome has too much weight for the pawl.

Our motorhome is a diesel with hydraulic brakes and an air-driven driveshaft parking brake.  Not all diesels have air brakes and I don't think too many gassers have air-driven parking or emergency brakes.  Motorhomes come in all varieties I guess.

My rig has the same configuration, hydraulic and air drum on drive shaft, Allison MT series tranys have no parking lock at all so the drum is mandatory for parking. The hydraulic disc brakes are nice that's why all but one car that I know of uses them, if your hydraulic  system fails while driving there is a automatic electric pump to keep the brakes fully functional so you can get someplace for repair. If the air system fails on this system (drum on drive shaft) the brake can be locked out with a 1/4 turn of a special wrench on the brake actuator, the wrench comes with the actuator and is mounted to actuator unit.

Mark R. said:
In the event of brake failure hit the RED button (red for emergency) and the rear tires will stop the rig AFAP!

When the rear wheels of a vehicle are locked up and the front wheels are not, the rear end and front end will instantly trade places.  That would be a sight to see, especially if the MH were towing a toad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom