Desert Valley RV Park
EPDM Coatings
RV LED Bulbs offer Sponsored by Spotless Water Systems rvupgradestore.com Composet Products EVDO

Author Topic: How do I seal around the ac unit on the roof?  (Read 1297 times)

Kstrat

• ---
How do I seal around the ac unit on the roof?
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:02:35 AM »
So i had just re-sealed the roof on my motorhome but do not know how, or if i need to seal around the ac unit. I tried to move the white cover on the roof but I could barely put any pressure on it without it cracking? How do I do this if it is needed?
Thank You,

Kyle
1984 26' Suncrest motorhome
2006 Yamaha 700
1987 Suzuki Samurai

Epicman

• ---
Re: How do I seal around the ac unit on the roof?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 06:01:50 AM »
Remove interior cover and you will find 3 or 4 bolts holding the outside unit down. Remove them and disconnect the electric wires , you can then lift the unit up. Underneath the unit you will find a replaceable gasket (usually foam) that you should be able to buy at any RV supply house.

George

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 07:13:32 AM »
Kyle,

As George mentioned, there is a gasket that seals the air conditioner to the roof. It sounds like your covers are about to disintegrate. They will fail over time. I'd keep a close eye on them. If you travel down the road they may fly off if they are very brittle. Replacements are not cheap. If you have a good dealer nearby you could ask them if they have any from a/c units that had to be replaced. That's how I replaced mine.
Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:21:22 PM »
Do not use caulking; use only the specific foam gasket made for your A/C.  Also, you should tighten each of the four corner bolts evenly.  Count how many turns for each bolt as you remove each one as a guideline to duplicating the original tightness and to keep the A/C level on the roof.

Both Monaco and Lazy Days RV compress the foam gasket to about 1/2 of its original thickness.  It's no big deal except that the A/C is heavy and you will have to disconnect some electrical wires to get the gasket in place so mark the wires or, better yet, use a digital camera to take pictures of the wires.

JerryF

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:31:57 PM by JerArdra »
JerryF  ;D  ;D