How do I seal around the ac unit on the roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kstrat

So i had just re-sealed the roof on my motorhome but do not know how, or if i need to seal around the ac unit. I tried to move the white cover on the roof but I could barely put any pressure on it without it cracking? How do I do this if it is needed?
Thank You,

Kyle

Remove interior cover and you will find 3 or 4 bolts holding the outside unit down. Remove them and disconnect the electric wires , you can then lift the unit up. Underneath the unit you will find a replaceable gasket (usually foam) that you should be able to buy at any RV supply house.

George

Kyle,

As George mentioned, there is a gasket that seals the air conditioner to the roof. It sounds like your covers are about to disintegrate. They will fail over time. I'd keep a close eye on them. If you travel down the road they may fly off if they are very brittle. Replacements are not cheap. If you have a good dealer nearby you could ask them if they have any from a/c units that had to be replaced. That's how I replaced mine.

Do not use caulking; use only the specific foam gasket made for your A/C.  Also, you should tighten each of the four corner bolts evenly.  Count how many turns for each bolt as you remove each one as a guideline to duplicating the original tightness and to keep the A/C level on the roof.

Both Monaco and Lazy Days RV compress the foam gasket to about 1/2 of its original thickness.  It's no big deal except that the A/C is heavy and you will have to disconnect some electrical wires to get the gasket in place so mark the wires or, better yet, use a digital camera to take pictures of the wires.

JerryF

Learning how to replace your RV air conditioner seals can help protect your RV's interior from water damage and contribute to a more comfortable night's sleep. The RV air conditioner has a visor or visor to protect it from flying objects, debris, and other particles. This cover usually has some screws or bolts to secure it to the roof of the RV.

Learning how to replace your RV air conditioner seals can help protect your RV's interior from water damage and contribute to a more comfortable night's sleep. The RV air conditioner has a visor or visor to protect it from flying objects, debris, and other particles. This cover usually has some screws or bolts to secure it to the roof of the RV.
FYI you replied to a 12 year-old message. The person asking the question hasn't been back since early 2010, so they probably won't see your reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom