Planning a Yellowstone Trip in Late June/Early July

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

70ss496

Hello, I'm new to this site, this being my first post.  We just moved from a Pop-up camper to a TT.  We are planning on going from Missouri up through South Dakota and across through Wyoming.  We are from the Kansas City Area.  The campground we are going to spend most of our time in is the Yellowstone Valley Inn.  It seems relatively close to the East Entrance of the park and looks nice in the pictures.  Does anyone have any idea about this RV Park.  I really wanted to stay in Yellowstone at Fishing Bridge but with no electricity the last thing I want to listen to all day is generator's running(and I don't have one yet).  Does anyone have any recommendations of where to stay along I-90 through South Dakota while we travel up there.  We're planning on taking 3 days to get there.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks! Matt

Glas you started this thread.. We're leaving WI July 26th - through Dakotas with couple evenings at campsites in route  - expection to get to yellowstone July 29th - Aug 1st and planning on 3-5 days in area of Yellowstone and tetons....
Still checking to see if I can get 1 week in one of the Interval lodges in that area and if so will use it but don't have confirmantion yet..... If we can't get that week in one of the 6 resorts in area, will need to find campsite ground site somewhere around there for that week .... hoping to find something in that area for 8/1 thru 8/5 (may only be there 3-4 days, so may have to pay for week but leave it empty 3-4 days early) ...This one may be a good option ?  Car (6 passenger capacity) available for retal from there?  Then will return with perhaps couple stops in route back.....

Be prepared for crowds. Yellowstone is extremely popular and the 4th of July weekend through Labor Day weekend is the busiest.

There are very nice RV parks at the West and North entrances too. Grizzly at West Yellowstone is nice and there are 3-4 places on the road coming to the north entrance near Gardiner. Google Yellowstone camping to find lots of choices.

>>The campground we are going to spend most of our time in is the Yellowstone Valley Inn.  It seems relatively close to the East Entrance of the park and looks nice in the pictures.  Does anyone have any idea about this RV Park. <<

On www.rvparkreviews.com the park gets from a 1 to a 10(highest), but most are 7 and 8's. A pretty good rating. You might want to read a few of the reviews. THey will tell you a lot about the park. One did say it was about 30 miles to Yellowstone - I assume that was to the East entrance.

ken

Thank you I was not aware of that site.  I'll check it out.  Yes, it's about 30 miles to the east entrance which I didn't think was horrible.  If anyone can recommend any fishing guides that would be appreciated.  Thanks!

I've never been there before so I really don't know where to go.  As far as what kind of fish, I really don't care.  We like to flyfish for trout.  What else is in Yellowstone to fish for?  We have never been there before.

I found out last summer that you can't fish at fishing bridge, day late and $ short again.
Go figure

There are lots of places to fly fish in Yellowstone Park. But first of all, apart from your Wyoming fishing licence, you need a special licence for the Park as well.

That said you also need to know where to go and remember, you have to feel comfortable being surrounded by wildlife. And always be on the look out for buffalo and bear.

This is prime fly fishing country and highly pressured fishing during the summer as well. Depending on the snow runoff and which river, usually the best time of the year is June on the Madison and August on the Yellowstone. - Depending on which section of the rivers! In other words, it depends on when you want to go and how much time you have to spend there and where.

These are only a few pointers. Google for more information.

Mariekie

One of the finest parks in US is at Spearfish, SD at I-90 exit. It's called Elkhorn Ridge RV Park and Resort. They treat you right from the moment you walk through door. http://elkhornridgervpark.com/

It's any easy days drive from there to Yellowstone Edge RV park Hwy 89S 20 miles south of MT I-90 X 333 at Livingston. That leaves you 35 miles north of the North Entrance which is an easy drive with scenery as nice as inside park. We drive it daily and enjoy it all ways. We have stayed there seven years.  Fly fishing all long Hwy 89S as well as off the edge of RV park and park guests can direct or guide you to great streams. Quality of fishing is related to flow of water into Yellowstone - too high not good. It is dependent upon snow levels and melt conditions.

I fished there most of last summer.  Hardly a guide, but know some good spots.  I fished mainly the Firehole and the madison because I lived right there.  Also fished Slough Creek and the Lamar. 

The fly stores outside the Park, at least south and west, have chalkboards up describing the activity and best flies etc. 

Inside the park the General Stores have gear and flies, plus mostly the guys working in the store fish, so they can also be a good source.

Bill,

The Lamar is one of my favorites and second to that the Madison, between Reynolds Pass bridge towards Ennis.

Mariekie

We had originally had reservations at Fishing Bridge for this time period, but since they don't have electric anymore, and generators are going to be allowed at that sardine park, we moved our reservations to Grant Village.

Yes, the crowds will be fairly large, but with both of us working, and Summertime is the only time we can take vacation together, it will be fine for us.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom