What TV mfg has controllable audio outputs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Bill

I am replacing my 24? Sony front TV, in our Journey, with a LCD one.  I am looking at 32? units, both standard LCD and LED.  My question is, those of you who have done this, what TV manufacturers have you found that allow you to control the RCA audio volume output via the TV volume?  I want to use the Winnebago installed sound system for right now. I know I can put a gang pot, or a separate audio amp, in the line.  I just don?t want to unless I have to.

On almost all the flat screens you can set the audio output to fix or variable. In variable you can control the volume with the remote. Murph

Mr_Bill said:
I am replacing my 24? Sony front TV, in our Journey, with a LCD one.  I am looking at 32? units, both standard LCD and LED.  My question is, those of you who have done this, what TV manufacturers have you found that allow you to control the RCA audio volume output via the TV volume?  I want to use the Winnebago installed sound system for right now. I know I can put a gang pot, or a separate audio amp, in the line.  I just don?t want to unless I have to.

In any case, the LED backlit models will use much less power. power consumption varies according to maker and model but if you frequently run off solar or house batteries the LED is the way to go.

I have our Sharp Aquos flat screen audio output hooked to my coach stereo system. I am able to control it with the Aquos remote. Mine is about 5 years old so my guess is newer models should also have this feature.

Our TV is hooked up through the dash stereo too.  The stereo has the surround sound hooked up to it.

We have kicked this around a bit.  Look near the top of the Winnie board for what others have done when changing out their CRT for an LCD.

I am expecting my 32" Hitachi LCD to be delivered tomorrow as my replacement for the 27" Sony in our Horizon - I'll need to modify it by tapping into the speakers with a resistor pad to lower the output levels - if you are a DIYer and comfortable with taking things apart and handy with a soldering iron, it is an easy mod.

I called the Tech line to the company that makes the surround system in my 03 Journey , he told me in my Samsung 26 in you could change 4 wires in the tv that would allow you to control the sound when you set the audio to external speakers.  He also said you could put a varible rheostat in the speaker feed that would enable you to control the sound manually.

I did the line-level variable audio modification on my Hitachi and the hardest part was figuring which screws to remove on the back of the case. :D

The mod is simple:

-- +  <----------1K resistor------------|----------- |
                                                      |              |
Speaker  (do for left/right)            |              |----center conductor------------->
                                                      |                                                    to amp
-- - <-----------470 ohm resistor-----|-----------Shield side of output--------------->

Resistor wattage isn't critical, 1/4 watt would be fine, however they are a little
small and hard to handle.  I used 1/2 watt.

Just fyi, the 32" Vizio VL320M I have at home has menu controlled fixed/variable audio out.

Some do, but a lot don't. Anyone looking for a replacement should put this as #2 on the list of confirmations, right behind "will it fit"?

John, could you expand on your diagram or route me to the source of your info.

Neighbor installed a new Sony and the output Audio is fixed.  I can do the external Potentiometer routine but would rather be able to control with TV volume control.

In my search thru the posts about the inability to control the Surround Sound volume from the TV after installing a new HDTV I read the concern as to whether this is a Winnebago specific problem. 

It is not, changed to an HDTV in a 2001 Country Coach and am having the same problem.

weewun said:
In my search thru the posts about the inability to control the Surround Sound volume from the TV after installing a new HDTV I read the concern as to whether this is a Winnebago specific problem. 

It is not, changed to an HDTV in a 2001 Country Coach and am having the same problem.
Walt - info on the way.

Not sure what other RV manufacturers have done for TV/DVD sound systems.  Winnebago used the Q-surround (not 5.1 Dolby) product for a few years and then finally went to real 5.1 sound sometime after the 2005 model year.

John, thks for the file and will let you know how it works on the Sony Bravia.

I take exception with the statement that most Flat Panel TV's have variable audio output.  This years Sony, Samsung, LG and others do not.  They have a Fixed Audio Output and expect you to control Sound level with the Surround Sound System, of course the Sound System can be controlled with the TV Remote. 

No allowance is made for older Sound Systems that are not adjestable.

I got a Samsung at home a couple of years ago. The remote volume on my stereo is broken so I needed the TV to control the volume. At the time Samsung did not have a variable volume output (I was very surprised that a high end TV did not have such a basic function). My fix was to get a headphone to RCA plug adapter and plug it into the headphone jack. No wiring or warranty issues and it works as good as any mod I have done in the past. Almost all TVs have a headphone jack. Try using it.

John, thks for the advice and information.

I fianally installed the modification and it works beautifully.

This was on my neighbors 2001 Country Coach Intrigue.  We installed a 26' Sony Bravia.  While it was not the same brand Surround System as used in a Winnebago the change works perfectly.

The delay was the owners were not sure they wanted me making modifications to their new Sony.  The Winter Olympics convinced them as they had to use max volume on the TV to hear some of the events.

Again, thks for the help. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom