M&G brake light shows when brakes are on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL Jerry, I thought you'd started a topic to rival the TP thread  ;D

Agreed that cost isn't the main consideration when it comes to safety.

ALL,

Here is a cost estimate for you guys and gals.  If you count the eBay and PayPal fees, USPS priority mailing fee, pressure switch, brass fittings, misc parts, web site, packaging, gas to go to/from the post office, and so forth I would guess he has a $30 to $35 cost per each one sold.  Also, there might be some returns that he has to eat.

JerryF

Good catch Ron. I know Jerry posted them earlier. I suspect he's re-posting his message with in-line photos.

Ron said:
Where are the photos of the installation Jerry? ??? ??? ;D ;) ;)

RON,

The photos of the installation are msg #29.  It is the last mesage on page 1 of this thread.  They got side tracked because the thread is so long.

JerryF

It's time for one of us to go to NAPA and find that 2.99 presure switch. ;D ;D

LOL Jeff. Buy one for me while you're there. I'll gladly give you double that for it.

I stopped by M&G today to ask them what pressure switch to buy for the break light solution. They had on hand the components for the hard wired solution and will sell the kit for $80. They are searching for a good (and reasonable cost) solution for the wireless unit so they can sell a wireless kit.

I just picked up the switch and will try to find a wireless solution of my own.

Robert

What did they charge you for just the switch? Does it have a manufacturer/nodel number on it?

Any chance you could post the outcome of your research for a wireless solution and maybe a photo or two of the final thing?

Tom, I paid $30 plus tax for the switch and three brass fittings required to plug the switch into the air line.

If I find a good wireless solution (suggestions are accepted) I will document the installation with pictures.

The switch has the number 3162 on it and that's the only writting on the switch.  It looks just like the one in the documented installation in this thread.

A belated follow-up to this discussion ...

While at the FMCA rally in Pomona a few weeks ago, I stopped by the M&G booth, introduced myself to Leon Meadows and thanked him for a great product. I also asked about a wireless solution for a remote brake application sensor. Leon told me they're working on it and hope to have it out soon. (He might have given me an approximate date, but I don't recall).

You could use the Blue Ox Apollo wireless brake indicator.  It triggers on the brake lights.

I'm not sure that would work the way I'd like Ned. e.g. the Pac Brake system on the coach will activate the brake lights on the coach and the toad, but that doesn't tell me the piston is being depressed in the brake master cylinder of the toad.

True, it would activate with the exhaust brake in that situation, unless you can separate the towed braked lights from the exhaust brake actuation.? I've never looked to see if our towed brake lights come on with the exhaust brake.? When used with the Apollo, the indicator is triggered from the brake light switch on the pedal, so only indicates when the towed brakes are actually applied.

That raises another question:  Does the M&G activate the towed brake lights when applied?

Ned said:
When used with the Apollo, the indicator is triggered from the brake light switch on the pedal, so only indicates when the towed brakes are actually applied.

Of course, that wouldn't work for us either because the brake pedal on the toad isn't depressed in a toad braking mode.

Back
Top Bottom