Alternate site for Quartzsite rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken & Sheila

Site Team
Betty Brewer said:
What a framily.  As we continue this wonderful Quartzsite tradition I am wondering if  maybe we should consider mixing it up a bit and think about moving  our venue to the nearby  Plamosa areas where BLM land has 14 day free camping.  I've heard several make that suggestion  for future  rallies. Costs are way up over the years and those  who come in for a short time would benefit greatly and the more the merrier!  Just look at the savings to our budget and the "taxes."  And firewood issues may be resolved?

Betty

Betty,

I would love to see us try a different location. I know several groups that meet in the Plamosa area. Only downside is for those who need to dump and take on water during the week. It is a little further in to the spot on the north side of town.

ken

Admin edit:

The original message to which these messages respond is in the Quartzsite 2010 rally happenings and photos topic. I split these replies into their own topic. The relevant text from Betty's original message is quoted in Ken's reply above.

RE:the possibility of moving rally to new location, possibly Plomosa RD.
That is a 14 day fee area. No $40 fee and you can dump and fill at the Pit Stop , Loves, Pilot and other propane selling areas for generally around $10.  Net savings $30.. Less traffic-Less dust.
it is something I have hoped would happen for years. Maybe now the time is right.
Helaine

Plomosa sounds good to us.

We will have to carry a lot of rocks for Bob's fire ring. ;D

Thats where Im at, Plomosa Road, your right no dust here and very quiet and nice, dont even have to leash your doggy here!

Jeff,
Just in case we do move I have stolen "Helaine's Rock" and we  can use it as seed to start a new fire ring. Wouldnt it be fun if all of the rocks bore a Framily name.

Helaine

I love the idea of finding a new "home" for the Qtz rally in the free area. I think we may have lost attendees who would have come for a day or two but didn't want to pay $40 for such a short stay. Traffic into town might be better. One dump and fill at one of the pit stops would save money. And change is good :)

Jeff, I suspect there are rocks at Plomosa but I like Helaine's idea of every attendee having their name on a rock around the fire ring.

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful Quartzsite - Betty for planning the birthday party, Bob for the great pictures and greetings, Mike for printing name tags so we all knew who was who, Don for fixing coffee every morning even though he's a tea drinker, Jack and Wally for getting our firewood back when it "went missing," Helaine for covering Happy Hour for me the day I was "tardy," everyone who brought food to the morning coffee hour, Happy Hour, and the potluck. And a big thanks to all who attended any little part of the Qtz Rally. It was great to meet old and new friends.

See you all next year....wherever we end up !
Wendy
currently 5 miles south of the Rally site at yet another rally

If we are thinking about moving now would be a good time to scout out Plomosa Rd while there are several still out there so if and when a move is agreed to Bob will have directions to share.

Helaine & Wally said:
RE:the possibility of moving rally to new location, possibly Plomosa RD.

I second this motion. However, I have only visited one rally and that was primarily to have Wally install 2 solar panels. As such,  my "second" holds little weight.

Sounds good to me to park in a free area. I hope to never miss another time in Quartzsite and will park anywhere that the group is parked.
With practice now, I can go about 10 days without a dump when I'm alone - as long as I shop all day! Wouldn't matter if I had to dump at a commercial place or BLM, the hard part is preparing to go. Maybe at a paid dump one wouldn't have to get there in the dark!

Having never stayed at Plomosa, I have no strong feelings about it but do recognize one probable negative.  On bad traffic days it would be impossible to drive down the wash to get to the RV tent and those other places on the south side of I-10 which are the ones in which we have more interest.  I have to say I probably wouldn't make as many trips to the vendor sites from Plomosa.  Tyson Wash is certainly more convenient and I have to say I like it there.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
On bad traffic days it would be impossible to drive down the wash to get to the RV tent and those other places on the south side of I-10 which are the ones in which we have more interest. 

Ardra,

I'm told the traffic from Plamosa is much easier to get to  places.  But I wasn't a shopper much this rainy year.

Betty

Plomosa road is 5.5 miles north of Main street off of 95 and goes east.

ArdraF said:
Having never stayed at Plomosa, I have no strong feelings about it but do recognize one probable negative.  On bad traffic days it would be impossible to drive down the wash to get to the RV tent and those other places on the south side of I-10 which are the ones in which we have more interest.  I have to say I probably wouldn't make as many trips to the vendor sites from Plomosa.  Tyson Wash is certainly more convenient and I have to say I like it there.

ArdraF

But the members of the Escapees Chapter 34 rally tell me that the traffic is not as bad going south as it is for us going north to the vendors.
There are pluses and minuses on both side of the issue.
I am on Plumosa now and wifi signal is good. No dust.
A little longer drive maybe but faster traffic.  Our biggest problem at the show this year was parking. It was dang near impossible to get a spot after 9am.
We are hoping that Bob and any  others around can help us check out possible sites. We will be here for several days.

Helaine

Plomosa road is 5.5 miles north of Main street off of 95 and goes east.

That's right - it's also twice as far to the vendor stalls and RV tent.

ArdraF

On bad traffic days it would be impossible to drive down the wash to get to the RV tent and those other places on the south side of I-10 which are the ones in which we have more interest.

I don't remember seeing a major backup along Hwy 95 from the north - it's 4 lanes all the way from the Quartzsite city limits to Kuehn Ave. which keeps traffic moving pretty well.

ArdraF said:
That's right - it's also twice as far to the vendor stalls and RV tent.

Lets see an extra 5.5 miles  vs the number of  miles I drive from home to get  to the Quartzsite rally.  Seems very minor.  I "love change."  Recall I am the one who suggested a change from Moab  to  another venture.    If we always do the same thing we just may miss a new opportunity for something different and it wouldn't cost us as much to make a move  to the  14 day  free area.  As Lucy says it's not so  much about where we meet but that we meet with friends who become Framily. 

Betty

Moving the Quartzsite RV Forum Rally site to the BLM 14-day free area is actually a no-brainer. 

It means that those RV Forum members and their RVer friends who want to come visit them for only a day or so can now join them without paying for a 14-day stay.  Simple as that. 

We've stayed in the free area just east of 95 off of Kuehn Avenue and there's plenty of room for our group there too.  And it's even closer to the big tent than the present RV Forum site.  It isn't paved, but neither is the current site.  And it's not like no one gets lost (or takes a wrong turn) going to the present site.  Just ask Tom.  :p

I guess that Plomosa will save $40 but we still like the place we've been for the last 15 years.  I think that Ardra and I would most likely skip Quartzsite next year if it goes out to Plomosa.  Our vote is NO for Plomosa!

We like the walking/hiking areas at Tyson Wash 541, the ability to easily get a sewer dump (not drive into town to dump), and the 4-wheel drive trails into town as well as the overall location.

JerryF

Back
Top Bottom