Alternate site for Quartzsite rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lucy,

We've been to Quartzsite so many times that if the boon docking were to get any more remote, or any more difficult to get "some" on-site services, or further from the RV tent or town why go.  Yes...we would miss Framily but we can make up for it at Catalina, Hop/Skip/Jump, Moab, and many other places the RV Forum holds rallies.

JerryF

I will vote no with Jerry.  I would rather stay down at the existing site.  If the forum moves, I think Pat and I would stay down with the Newmar rally and the Hams than change.  We would probably came up for the potluck if it did not conflict with the other rallies.

Lots of traditionalists in this group. I recall that same sort of reaction when we talked about moving the old Centermost Rally to Moab (which did happen). Then again when the Hop, Skip, Jump was proposed as an alternative to the Moab site.

We vote with Ardra & Jerry. Much more convenient to downtown and don't have to worry about garbage and dumping. We stayed out at Plomosa a number of years ago when we brought our local RV club out and that was when they were drilling for water here. Weren't overly pleased out there.

Four of the five couples who came with/after us to the rally had been to both the rally site and Plomosa several times. They'd all planned to spend the week at Plomosa and drive in for the potluck but, when I twisted arms and cajoled, they agreed to spend several days at the rally.

Their preference for Plomosa is apparently based on "less dirt & dust". Most don't get online here often, but I'd guess from their comments that it would be four rig-votes for Plomosa, but I'll get confirmation.

We'd planned to check Plomosa out last week, but didn't do that. Our vote would be to try it next year. As in past years at QZ, I'm really suffering from allergies and a sinus infection.

Looking forward to reading comments/observations from folks who plan to check it out shortly.

If it was a "truly" dust free site, perhaps I could talk Laurie into coming. The one time we stopped by in 2002, she was totally turned off by the dust and says NO! to ever returning. now. Her tear ducts only work at about 15% so dry eyes and dust kills any fun she would have.

I doubt that Plomosa would be much less dusty (it is the desert after all) but I like the idea of moving to a new spot.

I think there are folks who would like to attend our rally for a couple of days but don't want to spend $40 for 1 or 2 nights.

Not all of us can go into town through the wash and the northbound traffic is almost always bad, backing up as it does for those turning left into the show or onto Kuehn.

The 4WD roads aren't going anywhere and if we're further north, just think of the new possibilities for going 4-wheeling.

I think I only saw one rig leave during the rally to go across the street to dump. You've got to pull in the slides and put stuff away to move whether it's across the highway or into town to the Pit Stop. And there's always JerryF's solution of paying the honey wagon to come out and pump you dry.

As for 5.5 miles vs. 2.5 miles, that really only makes a big difference to the bicyclists.

I love Quartzsite but I've always come to the Qtz rally for the people, not for the place. And I'll continue to go to the Qtz rallies to visit with Framily.

JM2C
Wendy

The traffic might be worse going to the RV Tent and the areas across Kuehn street from the RV Tent because you would have to drive over the I-10 overpass to get there.  Picture going over the I-10 overpass where there are 3 lanes.  You would turn right into the worst traffic in Quartzsite (Kuehn Street) and find lots of PAY parking, turn left onto the Kuehn street parallel parking only and not much of it, or go straight to NO parking because often the folks who park along 95 get tickets. 

I wonder about the statements about NO DUST.  It's still dirt and the surrounding land is also more dirt.  The wind doesn't care, it just blows for miles and miles taking the dirt with it.

Every time I have driven by the Pit Stop the RVs were entering from 95 south to north so we would have to make a U-turn (really go around the block) to line up to get in.  I have seen lines of RVs filling the Pit Stop's available space and lined up on 95.  Sounds like fun to me!

JerryF

Jerry, most of us know what you're referring to, but it's the I-10 overpass (not I-15) and it's Kuehn Street (not Kuhn Street).  Just so you know.

Tom said:
Looking forward to reading comments/observations from folks who plan to check it out shortly.

We have started gathering notes, Tom. Helaine and Wally are at the site now and Mike and Wendy may arrive Friday. I am at the site just East of downtown -- on the extension of Kuehn past the newer white church. Wally is coming in tomorrow to install my solar panels and according to how long that takes, we may have time to expore the proposed site.

Here are some thoughts so far:

o Coming in from the North, one can still do the Tyson wash to get to the show. I gave up on going to the show years ago until after 2:00PM -- and now just drive down the Old Yuma road and do wash parking adjacent to the big tent. It's then an easy walk to the show.

To get to the same parking from the North, I would "not" go all the way to Kuehn -- but would exit  95 to the West on the street North of the Post Office, or on several others parallel streets. They all end up at Tyson wash. From there drive the wash South and park in that area -- or cross Kuehn and park by the tent. Again, after 2:00, one could get across Kuehn OK.

o As to free parking, would imagine that will mean more RVers would tend to already be in any site we may pick by mid January.  As Bernie can also attest, there are always RVers well entrenched when we arrive. Chatting with them in hopes they will either leave, or if they join us, move their rigs in a different direction or whatever is not a fun chore. :(

o Jerry's point of the conjested overpass is well taken. The right lane is a zoo most all day because Kuehn from 95 West is a parking lot until the Tyson show closes -- 5:00PM. So -- the right lane over the overpass has nowhere to go. However, would imagine the best alternative there would be to take the center lane out to the first ranger station and from there, shoot over to the wash as usual. You can do that without a sticker, I think.

o The Pit Stop: There is a North entrance and a South entrance - and an exit lane in the center. The design leaves much to be desired but it IS set up for entry from either end. Water, Sewer, and Propane stations provide each from either side -- so the South bound lanes fill with water first, then sewer, then Propane. Point is, there are two lanes, one in each direction. Also, I always wait until later in the day, and have never met a line either way. So -- one can enter either from the North or South entrance, from either direction, according to what they want done. The $5.00 fee there for dump and water fill is FAR better than the free dump area -- IMHO.

o The distance thing: That will become a factor for me: I drove out today and measured the distance from the Main/95 intersection to the site entrance. It is exactly 5.7 miles -- plus another 1.5 estimated to a site for us. Figure another 1/2 mile or so to ones destination that trip and we have at least a 15 mile round trip each time we go to town. Trips per day will vary from perhaps one a day, to in my case more like three per day. I like to do breakfast at the bakery or Taco Mio, plus a trip to one of the shows, an then either out to dinner or to a grocery store (I don't buy ahead). But just considering 2 per, that's 450 miles in my two week stay.

o Not sure as yet if it could be considered an alternative as yet, but where I am now has always been my favorite boondocking spot in QZ. I can ride my bike to most anywhere I want to go -- or, do a good walk. Plus, it's also a 14 day freebie. The drawback to some for the space up front is the freeway noise, plus it's worn more so more dust. However, as I drive around this space goes on forever and there are a lot of larger areas. Of course, finding a large area for 40 rigs in free areas after mid January here would be as hard as Polmosa.

o But then, do we need to park as a group. Was thinking today, if we set aside a center point for happy hour and firering, as long as we are all in the same general area that may work as well. Plus, we would meet a lot of other RVers that way that may want to join us. Just a brainstorming thought vs. a suggestion.

o I for sure like the idea of FREE PARKING: Think about this -- as a group, we are ponying up over $1,600 for the QZ rally!! Think of the party Betty could come up with if given less than half that much. :)

That's all I know so far. I haven't made a decision myself as yet -- but must admit, I do not like being that far from downtown. As a lone RVer, I have never been fond of staying in or around my RV all day and especially all evening. That's a pretty long partly roller coaster drive out there, and my eyes for sure do not like night driving -- plus I can use that gas money for more fun things. If where I am now was an alternative, I would give it a vote in a heartbeat . . .  :)

I'd like to check out several locations on Friday if I can get my chauffeur to cooperate.

Wendy
MM99 area

Personally I would prefer to stay at our current location. I really would love our "original" location when Fred & Daisy were able to secure the area near the Ranger Station. :) Wherever we go it will be dusty but there's something about LaPosa Tyson Wash that tugs at my heart. Sure, going north might relieve some "dust" concerns but you will still get some "dust"!! We have always enjoyed the location of the forum rally for several years and don't see why it needs to be changed.

Please understand that we are checking out POSSIBLE sites. There has been no decision made to move the rally. That comes later when all options have been investigated, I would think that decision would be made by staff, based on what the members want. I will not be apart of that decision. It happens that we are on Plomosa now and give you some facts.(There is much less dust, wide open spaces, and beautiful), I am not pushing for Plomosa more than any other site. I AM  pushing for a change of sites.
Helaine

As noted, we are still parked at the original site. No dust, lots of space ;D ;D . With the recent rain, I doubt that either site would have significant dust until it dries out more. What I haven't heard addressed is how garbage is handled in the free areas. When we parked up there we had a long drive to the transfer station.

rsalhus,

Thanks, I fixed my post.

Jim Dick,

You mentioned Fred securing the site.  This year (Jan 2010) I talked to the folks at the ranger station where we sign in and pay the $40.  They said that they would tell arriving folks that usually about 40 coaches from the RV Forum park at area 541.  While it's no firm guarantee they said that it does help to keep the area clear for the Rv Forum because many people ask where they should and/or shouldn't park

JerryF

Bob Buchanan,

Using your mileage as an example, if you did drive 450 miles at Quartzsite (3 trips per day) that would be 45 gallons of gas assuming 10 MPG for your Jeep.  At $2.80 per gallon that is $126.  If we assume you would drive, lets say, half that amount from our current site (Tyson Wash 541) it would only be $63 plus the $40 registration fee or a total of $103 and Tyson Wash already has, a very short MH drive, to the prepaid water and dump. 

BTW, this does not take into account, for anyone needing to dump or get water, the extra fuel cost for the 25 to 30 mile round trip in a motorhome for the $5.00 water/dump fee at the Pit Stop.

Sometimes things that appear to be a bargain, are not!

I'll bet that most of us would NOT go into town as often due to the 15 mile drive and the heavy traffic gouing over I10.

JerryF

Hi Jerry,

That site I mentioned would be way too small at this point. I think the largest gathering there was about 11 rigs. The only reason we got it, I believe, is because Fred & Daisy were working there.

It's nice to know that they are still looking our for us at the Ranger station. ;D ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom