Alternate site for Quartzsite rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wendy and Mike,

A big thanks for your efforts. Glad to see an unbiased report. Several in our group stayed for a couple of nights or less, and had previously stayed at Plomosa Road with glowing reports.

We'll also go where the group decides, but can't see us making multiple trips to town from any location (IIRC I went exactly twice this year, and Chris maybe three times). So that's a non-issue for us.

The reports of less dust ARE significant - I'm just recovering from what someone described as "the Quartzsite crud" i.e. sinus infection and allergies, which has happened to one or both of us each time we've visited QZ. I saw that Bob M has similar symptoms when he visited this year. A number of others have reported similar symptoms in the past.

Wendy,

I think based on your information that the area near Boomerville (Scannan Wash) would be worth a try for next year.

As several have said, if it doesn't work well for the group, we can always go back to 541.

Thanks for the research.

ken

A lot of folks mentioned dust. Isn't that what happens in the desert? My coach is a mess and I was UPWIND from the dust. Maybe its due to the fact an old man and 2 dogs live in this thing and I better clean it up before I go home to the "boss" next week ;D

I've been reading all the responses in this thread at least twice.  I think it's time for the staff to set up a poll for framily to vote on.  Change locations.  Stay at 541.
I don't think the $40 blm charge has any weight.  People don't drive the distances they do to be stopped by a $40 charge.  As far as friends or relatives visiting, if they don't want to pay don't stay.  There were 4 first timers there this year and $40 didn't stop them. My wife and I were there for our first time. We had a great time.  Only downer was not winning the card game. I was part of Randy's team. WE HAD 8 SEVENS and should have won. Something smells foul here, could have been jerry's pump out!. ;D  Let the voting begin.

jack r said:
I've been reading all the responses in this thread at least twice.  I think it's time for the staff to set up a poll for framily to vote on.  Change locations.  Stay at 541.

Jack,
Since the Quartzsite event  is nearly a year away and many of staff and attendees are not yet even back home, I'm thinking we need sometime for the dust to settle. (so to speak)  Keep visiting the Forum so you know what 's going on.
Save the dates in your calendar as similar to this years.
We were sure glad to see you at the Rally and happy you had a good time.  Now may I add, it was a 5 card hand and creativity in arriving at your conclusion( and Randy's)  of winning does not count.  ;) I see a leadership role in your future to "make up" the games!

Betty
Still missing one card.
No possible reward.

Have attached two Google Earth Maps of the Plomosa and Scaddan sites if we decide to move from 541. While visiting Helaine and Wally on Saturday I also took pictures of the road in and one very nice site possibility. I have marked that with a yellow X on the Plomosa map.

There is also an X at one site that looked very nice to me at Scaddan. As you can see from the map, Scaddan goes back and East farther than meets the eye at first glance.

Should have made the X's a bit bigger - so if having trouble finding them look in the upper right on the Plomosa map and South of the Bob marker I placed where I am currently parked. Also, you may have to scroll horizontally.

Will try to post pictures of both areas as soon as I can . . .  :)

Attachments

• PlomosaSite.jpg
    PlomosaSite.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 71
  • ScaddanSite.jpg
    ScaddanSite.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 65
I nominate Jack to be in charge of games next year. Only caveat is that he doesn't get to play !!

Wendy
Roadrunner

To those with dust sensitivities:

Fred and I have spent a number of years in the QZ area, and I don't think there is any one place anywhere in a 50 mile radius or more that doesn't have dust.  It would have been a lot less this year because of the rain.  Your QZ crud symptoms may immitate the dust symptoms, but because of this same rain, that may have triggered some of the mold allergies that can lay some people flat when it rains in the desert.  Some areas may "seem" less dusty, but I will guarantee you, that when that little breeze kicks up it will be dusty, no matter where you are, whether you can see it float around or not....  As someone else has said it is the desert, and it is just plain dusty, and until you get back to the big cities or by some water you will have a lot of dust, there is just no way of getting away from it totally.

However, there is so much more to the place to enjoy that for us, what's a little dirt.  Of course, we don't get the crud, though I may have had Valley Fever one of the first years there, that showed some residue when we got back to Maine.  However, they would not have had any idea of what VF was and called it pneumonia damage, just about the same thing.....  :D  But we went back the next year for more damage... :D

All that being said, there isn't anyplace else we'd rather be than QZ at Showtime when all our forum friends are there in one place.  We surely have missed it.

Daisy 

P. S.  My point in posting this, is that I don't think there is any place you might move the rally to that won't have dust.  Some people are just sensitive to the minutest particle of grit, and others can endure tons of it.  Our sensitivities are all so different, that moving or staying won't matter.  Heck, where we live now, clear across the state, about twice a year Yuma blows through here.  ;D  Otherwise, we rarely see dust move.....

Understood Daisy, thanks.

Chris and I seem to get the QZ crud every time we visit. We couldn't make the rally for many years, partly because I was always traveling, often overseas. We made our first QZ rally just a few years ago, and we keep coming back because of the Framily. But the sinus infections are very real, whatever the cause, and are not fun to deal with.

I don't think it's as simple as"dust sensitivities" per se, and there may be other contributors as you suggest. We have lots of peat dust around here from all the surrounding farms, but maybe we just got immune to it after living &/or visiting here for 25 years.

I voted to try an alternate location around QZ although, as you suggest, it may not make any difference to the crud.

BTW we don't go to QZ for the RV show; There's less and less RV-related stuff there every year.

I happen to agree with Daisy.  We've seen desert dust blow so bad in Las Vegas that we could barely see the lights on The Strip from the Rio, just across the I-15.  It's a funtion of the area and it doesn't really make any difference where you go, especially if you're talking about a relatively small area like the one around Quartzsite.

Here's a suggestion.  Why don't we go back to La Posa Section 541 in 2011 which will give everyone a chance to look around at alternate sites and then decide about 2012?  We could take a vote, maybe on the day of the potluck and decide what we want to do then.  We tend to do that at our other rallies, so there's precedent.

ArdraF

Plomosa Area Pictures

Here are a few images I shot recently while visiting Helaine and Wally.

The first is the entrance from 95, then the Plomosa Road leading to any site we might select, the 811 Marker close to Helaine and Wally's site, one site that would work close to Helaine & Wally's campsite last week, and then looking SouthEast from the 811 Marker at the vastness of Plomosa.

BTW, I am now parked at the Tyson Well RV Park on Kuehn in Quartzsite. I moved from Scaddan earlier this week.

Attachments

• PlomosaEntrance.jpg
    PlomosaEntrance.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 46
  • PlomosaRoad.jpg
    PlomosaRoad.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 811MarkerExit.jpg
    811MarkerExit.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 45
  • OneProposedSite.jpg
    OneProposedSite.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 47
  • OtherSites.jpg
    OtherSites.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 43
Scaddan Area Images

These were shot last week during my stay at Scaddan. The first is the entrance a mile or so from the end of East Kuehn street, then a shot of the road leaving the front area by the freeway heading SouthWest to the larger back areas, one of several sites I saw that would hold 40 plus rigs, and finally a shot of one of the washes that must be crossed.

The washes at Scaddan are perpendicular with the road to the back areas vs. at our current site, the washes are parallel and we drive between them after crossing the first one shortly after leaving the ranger station. The image I took was the worst one of 4 or 5 that must be crossed to get to the back area sites. A lot of RVs park in the back so I presume that is not too much of a problem.

Attachments

• ScaddanEntrance.jpg
    ScaddanEntrance.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 51
  • RoadToBackOfArea.jpg
    RoadToBackOfArea.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 48
  • OneAreaThatWouldWork.jpg
    OneAreaThatWouldWork.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 54
  • WashDirection.jpg
    WashDirection.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 60
ArdraF said:
Here's a suggestion.  Why don't we go back to La Posa Section 541 in 2011 which will give everyone a chance to look around at alternate sites and then decide about 2012?  We could take a vote, maybe on the day of the potluck and decide what we want to do then.  We tend to do that at our other rallies, so there's precedent.

Thought I would get the discussion ball rolling again . . .

If you agree with Ardra, I can post the 2010 directions again on the sign up webpage - and we will meet together in the same 2010 rally site -- and set aside some time to share some wine and discuss the 2012 location.

OR, I can begin taking names and post beside each name that the person attending would like to STAY, MOVE, or EITHER SITE IS OK. That way, those who are planning to attend will decide the location.

So -  whatchathink? ? ?  :)

RV Roamer said:
If I wanted to go, even for just a few days, the $40 price tag wouldn't stop me. Yeah, it's a lot of $ for a dusty site with no facilities, but if my friends were there, I would go. OTOH, what is so important about the current location? Hard to believe the choice turns on a few dollars worth of gas for a trip into town.

I'm with Margi - whoever is organizing for next year, just put a stake in the ground and go.

Thanks for the post Gary, exactly what I was thinking. I just didn't want to offend some people. I don't care about the $40, the extra fuel, dump fees, or the miles to drive to town. I just want to have good time. Will driving through the area a little slower help keep the dust down or are we already at a snails pace?
J

34footer said:
Will driving through the area a little slower help keep the dust down or are we already at a snails pace?

Unfortunately, J, the 15mph signs are hard to see because of the dust from the RV in front of you driving 30mph. :mad: :) :)

One of the downers about the current location is that it is adjacent to the "main" East/West road. And that is one of the pluses to the Plomosa site. As seen from the pics I have posted, the main road is paved, so the only dust raised is getting from that road to the site.  And there are several Plomosa sites we looked at that are not more than 1/4 or so from the main road.

My thinking is to  meet at the same old site this  2011 year and during that rally, those interested could scope out alternate places for a first hand look and take others on the same field trip .  Then  a discussion could occur with realities of the crowds during that specific week.  This is a long time tradition and I sense that change is hard for some.  Not me,    but hey I like  consensus.

The real issue of  a Quartzsite  RVForum Rally is the friends we meet up with so hey .  Mike and Wendy have been seraching for some neat games to play? 
Betty

I was thinking we should go to the "old" spot for 2011. I thought about a "field trip" to go look at alternate sites or maybe a "treasure hunt" game with folks checking out the alternate sites, possibly with prizes. I think we really need to see the alternate sites in the middle of RV show week so everyone get's a feel for what they're like.

No matter where we are, we'll have a great time with friends old and new, young and old. And if you want an idea of the kind of games we're thinking about, watch A Minute To Win It on TV.

Wendy

We plan to attend  Jan 11 as first timers..look forward to the dates and details!!!

DITTO said:
We plan to attend  Jan 11 as first timers..look forward to the dates and details!!!

We Love 1st timers - gives us new folks to talk about :) and to hear about and to visit with !

Wendy

We are strongly in favor of staying put at the old site. We were at a Plomosa Road site with another group once and were not happy up there. Cell phones didn't work well then (might be better now), much longer to get into town, no convenient trash disposal and more traffic to deal with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom