Alternate site for Quartzsite rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I would like to see the group try something new ( like the area just east of the RV Show), I am getting the feeling that there is a consensus that we show go back to 541 for 2011 and look at a new site for 2012 with the group there to look at the sites and make a decision.

But I still believe that real decision makers should be the people who put in the work to make this rally happen. If they decided to move the rally, I would go where ever they chose.

ken

At the risk of (again) being ostracized for making an innocent comment/observation ....

Has anyone thought outside the box and considered a venue other than QZ? I'm not talking about 2011, but maybe 2012. Having been to QZ several times, far fewer than many folks here (thanks to my prior work commitments), the only attraction for us is the Framily members who turn up. Beyond that, I just don't get QZ. Lots of wind, lots of dust (aka serious sinus infections for us). A really poor "RV show", with the "big tent" filled with fewer and fewer RV-related vendors; Many of these same vendors can be seen at state fairs. A flea market of sorts.

Want a low cost place to stay for several months, then QZ is the place to be, but we sure wouldn't stay there that long, although we have friends who do.

Sorry, we just don't "get" QZ.

BTW I wasn't the first to bring up the subject of an "alternate location" in this topic  ;)

Tom said:
What's in a name  ???

Quartzsite.  It's way more than a name.  For some of us it's an iconic memory of tossing the "have to do" schedules and embracing the "want to do schedules".  Hanging out in the desert, beginning in 1995, represented freedom to us ... and you know how Americans love and treasure freedom! 

Perhaps today's RVers have different needs and a different perception of what constitutes their personal freedom.  That's OK.  Every generation eventually defines their priorities as they age.

I'll just be pouting and sulking because I can't join you all this winter, wherever you all eventually decide to be.  ;)

Margi

[quote author=Tom and Margi]For some of us it's an iconic memory of tossing the "have to do" schedules and embracing the "want to do schedules".[/quote]

Understood Margi, and we all have those iconic memories of a place and time we spent with Framily. For us it was the Plymouth rally, the first time we'd met many wonderful folks from this forum. Chris and I made it to QZ the first chance our work/life schedules allowed, and it was indeed a time to remember. Hopefully, it will be for others in the future.

Oops, apologies, just realized I'd posted in the wrong topic. Split and merged my message and respective replies into this topic.

Quartzsite is unique in that you can show up at any time, not need a reservation, there's always room for more, and you can leave when you like.

Jim - I just reread your Quartzsite Impressions for the first time in a few years.  It's still as spot-on and as beautifully written as it was when you first posted it.

Margi

We've been to one rally (Escapee's 4WD this year) and certainly don't have a vote here. But we might go, and if we do I'd be concerned that we have reliable phone and internet (I'm kinda sorta only partially retired). Others might like to know about this as well.
Aside from that interest, those that do the work (or have historically) should get to set the site.
Finally, most of us spend thousands on gasoline alone every year; I can't imagine that $50 (often for one nights stay) would be a significant concern.
Hoping to meet ya one of these days,
Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
But we might go, and if we do I'd be concerned that we have reliable phone and internet (I'm kinda sorta only partially retired). Others might like to know about this as well.

Ernie, I run my business out of my RV on a full time basis - and have clients over over the US. So it is very important that I am available all day every day for help desk, marketing, and so forth stuff. Each January I spend 2 to 3 weeks boondocking around QZ and have 24/7 access to the internet. Vz is very strong in the area we ususally park, but also, a number of our members have Hughnet Sat Internet and are happy to share with the rest of us. Internet/phone access has never been an issue at our QZ rally.

Many of us remember in the earlier days of our rally's the trouble and fun ways we had to figure on how to get on line. One reason the site we are currently using was selected was because of the phone booth by the Ranger Station. Many of us carried accoutical coupler modems in those days that we used on pay phones. The phone booth at the ranger station rarely gets used any more by anyone . . .

In addition to Jim's excellent article, we have some additional info in another article in our library on The Quartzsite Experience. It's a few years old, but the basic info is still correct, unless/until the location moves. The current site is also marked on our Google map of rally locations (blue pin near the lower left).

Tom & Margi,
Thanks. It was fun writing that piece. I think it was a first for me. ;D Times have changed but the basic premise is still the same. It's all about the experience that one finds, especially on their first trip. :)

Ernie

Last year so many people had Verizon Air cards & tethering that the system slowed to a crawl....I had to re-enable my Hughes Satellite a month early to keep my wife happy.<G>

Just checking in.... Put us down for the alternate site at Quartzsite.  Don't know what date we will arrive. 

joe and cricket

JoeLacey said:
Just checking in.... Put us down for the alternate site at Quartzsite.  Don't know what date we will arrive. 

joe and cricket

Not an alternate site. We're going back to the "usual" site for 2011 and will look around at alternate sites for 2012.

See you there !
Wendy

I stayed close to where you guys were, it was so dusty I moved to this location, nice and flat and no dust, good spot here.

Attachments

• map2.jpg
    map2.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 49
Vmax,, Ive been going to that very spot for 12 consecutive years now and will be there in 2011.>>>Dan ( one mile off Hwy 95 on plamosa Rd. and left thru one wash)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom