Lighted dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well lets see how do I put this.  Before I finished the design to put a LED on the DW LNB a good friend gave me a adapter similar to what MotoSat uses to tap the LNB power for the LED.  Actually since I have a Bird on the Wire for Direct TV I elected to place the Tap in the TV LNB coax.  In my case the voltage is tapped from the coax approximately three inches from the TV LNB.  So as long as our Tivo is on the LED is lit.  Easiest way would be to get a unit from a discarded MotoSat TV dish.

Ron said:
adapter similar to what MotoSat uses to tap the LNB power for the LED.

Now that's way too clever for me  ???

WARNING Pay attention to Russes caution about Fry's Electronics. ?I know for a fact that Russ has had this experience in the Las Vegas Fry's. ?A stop at Fry's is fun but can be expensive. ;D

Tom:

Thanks much for the info on the amperage and the RS led.  Though the link to Radio shack bombed out on me.  Not sure if it was on my end or RS end, but the link would not pass.  At any rate, thanks to your information, I now know the resistance value, but still do not know how to wire the circuit and where to make the tap.

I have had to be persistent, but I am getting ever closer to the goal.

The only remaining information I need is how to actually wire the LED.

Ron:

I appreciate your attempt to tell me how you did this, but your answer still leaves me without a solution.  Can you tell me more about what this mysterious Motosat adapter device looks like, and exactly where you wired it into the circuit?  As you can see I am very persistent, and am not going to surrender until I know exactly how this feat is accomplished.  Generalities will not enlighten my stupid brain.  :D

Maybe I really do need to climb on your roof?  Or maybe I really do need a picture?  Is this tap a device that has a female coax connection on each end? 
With a pair of terminals for the led?  I don't see any other configuration it could have if it taps directly into the coax.  And why didn't you explain this in the first place, rather than make the vague reference: "The same principle is used to light the dish up as Motosat in that the LED is powered from the same 18 volts as the LMB is powered from."  That was a true statement, of course, but it did not give me all the information I need.

We have come a long way from that original comment to what you have just disclosed.  But we have yet to cross the finish line.

Does you unnamed friend have more of these adapters?  If so, does he sell them or is there some other way I can "bribe" him to release one?  I bet if he went to QZ he could sell a ton of these.  :D

Ron said:
I am not sure how clever it is but it would be easiest way

Ron, when I make that "way too clever for me" comment, I usually mean "elegantly simple" aka "why didn't I think of that?"

Smoky said:
the link to Radio shack bombed out on me.

Sorry, looks like an error in my link. It should be this. I went back and fixed it in my prior message.

still do not know how to wire the circuit and where to make the tap.

It sounds like Ron's Motosat tap is the easiest way to do it. Talk to Ron nicely and he might figure out a way to get you one, or put you in touch with someone who can.

Smoky said:
Tom:

Do you have access to these Motosat adapters?

Sorry, I don't. Ron has ways of getting his hands on bits and pieces.

Smoky,

My adapter is about 4 or 5 inches long approximately 1 inch in diameter with a coax connector on each end two leads one black and one red exit the device for connection to the LED.  My friend also provided the LED.  My set up provides a white not blue but lights up the painted dish nicely at night without being obtrusive.  Another system used is solar powered lights. I am aware of at least one user that uses solar system to light up the dish and others use solar lights to light up the tripod.  As for the MotoSat device I am not sure it could look like or similar to the one I have.  I do know of one individual that tried to purchase on from MotoSat but was unsuccessful.

Unfortunately I don't think the friend that provided me with mine has any more that he is not using.  I should see him in the next couple weeks and will ask for you.

Thanks Ron.  The configuration is exactly as I imagined it, cept it is a bit longer than I suspected.  I'd be willing to pay him a fair price for one.  In fact, if someone could put together those things i bet they could sell quite a few of them.

I had started to design one myself but dropped that project when I was given the adapter that I was wanting.  I don't even think I have any of my notes anymore. 

Motosat sells the lighting adapters, but they come attached to an antenna ;)

O.K. Specifics:

LED's usually have a maximum current rating of 30mA continuous. The proper resistance calculation is simply Ohms Law - I=E/R, or R=E/I, substituting you get R(Ohms)=12(Volts)/.03(Amperes) or 400 Ohms. Check the manufacturers data sheet to see what the maximum CONTINUOUS current is, then just plug it and your desired voltage into the equation. As was stated before, when using multiple LED's in parallel, you MUST use a separate resistor for each one. You will need at least a 1/2 watt resistor for each one; a one watt would be better (less heating). Also, when choosing LEDs, make sure you get the ones with the proper angle of coverage. Some LEDs have very narrow beams (+ - 6 degrees) which would give you a small spot instead of a wide coverage.

>> simply Ohms Law - I=E/R, or R=E/I, substituting you get R(Ohms)=12(Volts)/.03(Amperes) or 400 Ohms.
====
Hey now, Karl, this IS a family forum -- and that kind of language is NOT appropriate . . .  :)

For lurkers, this is the guy who would not be outdone by the $5,000 MotoSat lights and created his own multi colored light spectrum on his DW pod dish.

Smoky said:
I have also seen plenty of Direcway dishes lit up in blue, besides the Motosats.  I just want to know how they do it.  I think it looks really cool.  Even if it is a copycat.  :D

Smoky,

I would venture to say those "Direcway" dishes might be Datastorms if they are on the roof. They are really Motosats in disguise. ;D They also utilize three blue LEDs instead of one.

Well I refused to let Motosat outdo me with silly blue lights.

Now I have:

A) A solar powered unit that changes color every ten seconds between Blue, then Green, then Red, each color lasting about 10 seconds.  Match that you Motosat you!  :D  I told Ron that I wired it so Blue came on during receive, Red during transmit, and Green during idles time... just to get a rise out of him.  ;D

B) and just to prove that Motosat has no lock on Blue, I also now have a 4 blue led unit that runs off 12 volts. 

Not sure which I like better but that will be decided by the time I rerach QZ.  LOL!

Dang if I was going to pay $4200 just to light my sat dish.  LOL!

Smoky,

Now put all that into an easy to install package and market it as you travel. Make your fortune and write off the expense of your coach! ;D

Back
Top Bottom