Fifth Wheel to Gooseneck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2500HD

Ok? Just bought a 2006 35 ft fifth wheel with the gooseneck adapter and already have the B&M gooseneck hitch in the truck. I?ve read all of the responses about it ?could? void your warranty (which I don?t have ) or "could" cause damage. I?ve called several dealerships and get a mix of responses. (Usually feel most likely it?s based on if they are trying to sell me a new hitch!) Out of all the research I?ve only found one person that spoke about damage but stated it may have been self induced. So? how many of you have actually had a problem or seen a problem yourself, in which was caused by using the fifth wheel to gooseneck adapter? Thanks for the feedback. I?m not trying to do the wrong thing or to be taking chances on the highways with others at stake, but just can?t find any real documented issues that would convince me to go and spend all the extra money when I really like the GN

I have had two 5fers and used both of them with a gooseneck adapter.  The first one I bought an adapter and for the second one I build its own gooseneck adapter.  I love the fact that I can just push a lever and the ball drops and I have full use of my truck bed.  I would do it again if I buy another 5th wheel RV.

I too have only been able to find "anecdotal evidence".  Doesn't mean it isn't true.  My advice, since it already has it, is to check the frame around the pin box.  You may have to remove some screws and sheet metal do do it.  If it is o.k., you should be good to go. If it isn't, you will have to repair it wether you stick with the gooseneck or convert it back, so just fix it, beef it up for the gooseneck and you are good to go. Either way, you have peace of mind.

P.S. if it is cracked, take a picture and post it - then there will be documented evidence for the next guy who wonders.

The OEM for the trailer would be the one to ask if you want to know the truth.

I have seen photos on damage from a gooseneck conversion/use on other RV sites but not sure which ones. If I see again I'll post location.

My experience with a goose neck adaptor has not been good.  I purchased a used Tahoe
Delux that had an adaptor  added.  After the first trip of less than 150 miles it became obvious that this combination would not work.  The chucking motion was extremely uncomfortable and the "flex" in the adaptor and frame felt unsafe.  I did not know what the problem was, but it was bad enough that it had to be corrected or I was going to return the fifthwheel.  After some observation by a hitch installer and  discussions with those who had pulled fifth wheels many miles, I removed the adaptor and now pull with a fifthwheel hitch.  The fifthwheel weighs around 10,000 loaded and I was pulling with a 250 powerstroke.  Problem solved.  The frame was flexing due to the torque of the gooseneck.    But and there is always a but, I have seen others pull with a gooseneck hitch and not have any problems.  A gooseneck Cattle or equipment trailer is braced differently than an RV.    That's my story.  ( I did call the mfg and was told that a gooseneck hitch was not recommended)            joe

This is a bit off to the side of the discussion, but I just purchased a 25' trailer that was factory set up as a gooseneck.  Is this fairly uncommon?  I would presume that because the factory did the work, that it is reinforced correctly and ready to pull.  Are there any other issues that I might face?

Here is the unit:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb301/glfredrick/3n83pb3o35Q05Pc5S5a3k67ec9da0dc7-2.jpg

Edit: Fixed link.

The Anderson Ranch hitch adapter is a good choice, i have several friends with them and they have had no problems. But you might want to ask the frame mfgr.

Using a gooseneck adapter on a trailer designed for a 5th wheel hitch puts loads (torque) into the pinbox that it was not designed to handle.  That doesn't mean you can't do it, it just means it wasn't designed to carry those loads.  A lot of it has to do with how easy you accelerate, how easily you stop and what kinds/types of roads you travel with regularity.  The old bump/slap concrete interstates with tarred seams that have not been milled are hell on that combination.  You may be lucky and suffer no ill consequences.  As Joer said, "It's all about torque" introduced by the adapter that is not there when pulling with a 5th wheel platform.

I won't even consider the adapter. Our new to us tv came with a goose neck hitch but it will get removed and a fifth wheel installed. After experiencing the chucking of a goose neck shop trailer I want nothing to do with it. In defense of said trailer it was an all steel stock hauler that had been converted and was far too heavy for the design.

I bought the Anderson Ranch hitch adapter for my All American Sport. I hate the thing and finally removed it and am trying to return it. I picked up entirely too much surging from my trailer that I never had with a traditional fifth wheel hitch. I spoke to the factory and they told me I needed to add a system of gussets to stop this effect. In my humble opinion, a product should be safe as sold, not after you have to modify and add to it. There is a reason manufacturers make these fifth wheel and not gooseneck. I would rather have rails in the bed of my truck than have this surging problem. Just my $.02

If your truck has the B&W turn over ball, you can get the B&W Companion fifth-wheel hitch. You just remove the ball and drop the Companion in the hold. No rails nor adaption to the truck bed. We have used one from the very beginning, because I wanted to be able to tow a horse trailer if I needed to.

DENNIS

Is this Anderson hitch the one that sits at normal 5th wheel hitch height, but has a ball on top, on an aluminum "pyramid" frame, and attaches to the gooseneck connection,  or some other style?  I have been looking for feedback...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom