short bed, extended king pin, slider hitch ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tpinck

I have a short bed truck, if I get a unit with an extended king pin is a slider hitch still necessary??? Also I have noticed that some 5er manufactures offer the units with 2 or 3 axles, with all other factors being the same which would be best for towing performance.

Someone else is going to have to answer your question on the slider hitch, but I suspect the answer with have to be specific to your short bed and the hitch in question.

As far as the number of trailer axles is concerned, that is going to be a function of the trailer's gross vehicle weight.  Big 5ers have a lot of basement space and are going to need axles and tires to handle the stuff you are going to stuff in them. ;) 

tpinck said:
I have a short bed truck, if I get a unit with an extended king pin is a slider hitch still necessary???

I have a short bed GMC, my choice was get a PullRite it will cost more than  a Reese but for me the security was important. The hitch will slide back when the truck is at a 15 deg. angle going forward or backward. With a Reese you must remember to get out and activate the slider.

Nelson

From the responses in this forum and others, I will be looking into getting the Pullrite Superslide. :)

Thanks to all.

I personally feel a slideing hitch is not at all necessary. I've towed with a shortbed truck and never came remotely close to hitting the truck cab when backing.  It all depends on the sort of places you need to get into and your own driving techniques.  Obviously, the tighter you need to turn when backing, the greater the chance you will "jacknife" enough to hit the cab.  And you won't ever  need a slider when moving forward.

In my opinion the slider is more insurance than necessity.

Back
Top Bottom