Allison transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rollinghomer

We have a 1998 Newmar DutchStar 38 foot diesel.  Love the RV, but have an issue that I can't resolve.  We had been fulltiming but now have a home without wheels, consequently we have had the Rv for sale.  It hasn't been used lately...when we tried to start it yesterday we had to run the generator to charge the batteries.  When I tried to start the rig, a flashing light came up on the transmission display.  Normally I would see an N there as the engine starts, but it had a flashing message, "mode in service".
Naturally it won't start.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Tammy Gilbert

I suspect you actually have two messages, "Mode On" and "Service", rather than "Mode In Service". Can you recheck that?  Mode On simply means the Mode button is active - pressing Mode again should turn it off. Service  means the ECU is not receiving the expected signals and I suspect that is your problem. Perhaps a wire has come loose, a ground is bad, or the loss of electrical power has  messed it up.

On the pushbtton type, you should be able to display a diagnostic code by pressing both the Up & Down arrows simulataneously. On the Handle type, you push the Display Mode button and

Do you have the pushbutton shifter or the one with a handle that you move to select gears? The work a little differently. It probably won't try to start becasue it is not sure the transmission is in neutral.

When you say "won't start", do you mean it doesn't crank the engine at  all, or it cranks but doesn't run?

My first step would be to get the chassis batteries fully charged.

That's probably enough for now, until some of the qiestions are answered and the status clarified.

Back
Top Bottom