"*228" for your USB modem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZuniJayne

I am religious about doing *22899 to update my Verizon cell phone to update the roaming and let the new towers know I'm in the area. 

One day this week my second of two synapses left asked, "hey - what about my new Verizon USB modem?  It has its own cell number.  How do I update that?"

Well, how to do this is not prominent in the literature or on Verizon's site, so I called tech support today.  She said, yes, it is just as important to update your USB modem as it is your voice phone.  Simply:

- Go to Verizon Access Manager and choose "Options."
- Choose "Activation." 
- You will get a warning to turn off the modem. 
- Say "yes."

VZAM will then run the equivalent of *22899 on your modem.  I gained an extra bar this way.

You must do this in a "native" Verizon area.  I am headed to the Roswell NM area soon and if that is an "extended" area I can't update the phone or modem there. 

Hope this helps someone.

I followed your directions and updated my modem. I don't know what it will do for me but I did it. Thanks for the info ZuniJane

ZuniJayne said:
I am religious about doing *22899 to update my Verizon cell phone to update the roaming and let the new towers know I'm in the area. 

One day this week my second of two synapses left asked, "hey - what about my new Verizon USB modem?  It has its own cell number.  How do I update that?"

Well, how to do this is not prominent in the literature or on Verizon's site, so I called tech support today.  She said, yes, it is just as important to update your USB modem as it is your voice phone.  Simply:

- Go to Verizon Access Manager and choose "Options."
- Choose "Activation." 
- You will get a warning to turn off the modem. 
- Say "yes."

VZAM will then run the equivalent of *22899 on your modem.  I gained an extra bar this way.

You must do this in a "native" Verizon area.  I am headed to the Roswell NM area soon and if that is an "extended" area I can't update the phone or modem there. 

Hope this helps someone.

100% correct. Also, if you have a EVDO router, it is just as important to remove the USB or PC Card from the router and update it in the same manner as you described.

Some EVDO routers claim to perform this function automatically for you but few do it as advertised.  Also, at times, Verizon will update the firmware (internal embedded software) in the modems and the procedure you posted will also take care of that.

The other way to update the modems is to run the connection wizard in VZ Access Manager.

Good tip. ;)

just want to make sure I am following...

so this is if you are using your phone as a tethering device for your laptop computer? 

Is this with using the mobile broadbanc connect and VZ Access manager of verizon wireless? 

Sorry, I am learning and trying to figure out how I can have online access while "on the road" for my work.  I have a smartphone with data plan and just spoke with a rep at Verizon yesterday,,so very much still trying to figure this whole thing out !!!!

TIA :)

Whether you have a phone, Smart Phone or modem device, you have to periodically update its PRL (Preferred Roaming List) by dialing *228 in a native Verizon area (not while on the Extended Network) and selecting menu item 2 or use the shortcut of *22899. The instructions above are for  a modem, which is a bit different because it has no dial/keypad of its own.

Saw this thread and talked to VZ because I have always used *228, option 2 to update our phones. I asked about *22899 and was told that number was for data only units with no voice; anything with voice is supposed to use *228, Option 2 to update roaming capability.

Back
Top Bottom