pets traveling..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

free2

has anyone  had too many dogs & had to travel with one in the 5th. wheel???? thanks

That begs the question, how many dogs are too many?  Usually the answer is 1.  Whether you have no dogs or 8 dogs, one more is too many, cuz what you have is just right. 

There is also too much dog.  IOW, a 100 lb dog in a 17'TT. 

Now to get to your question.  Huh?  You want to travel with one and have more than one? 

PancakeBill said:
That begs the question, how many dogs are too many?  Usually the answer is 1. 

Not sure if that is an answer or an attitude.

I think the OP wants to know if it is okay to let a dog ride in the 5th wheel. 

I don't know the legal answer, but my "dog lover" answer is NO!

Ahhh, interpretation, I thought he meant essentially with a pet pulling a 5th wheel.  Guess we need OP to get to specifics.

I assume you mean that you don't have room for all the dogs in the tow vehicle?

I wouldn't let human children ride in the 5th wheel and the same goes for the hairy kids.

Wendy
Qtz

While driving north on I-5 yesterday we were, for a while, following a pickup truck with a lab in the (uncovered) bed. Apart from being illegal in CA, it's also quite dangerous for Fido. It didn't take long for my driver to pass the pickup, while I verified there was no restraint preventing the dog from either jumping out or being ejected into the path of oncoming traffic.

I also hate seeing dogs riding in the back of pickups, especially when they're chained. Imagine the dog thrown from the PU bed with a chain or leash attached? Broken neck, dead doggie. And looking forward from the pickup bed causes eye damage from dust, particles, etc. I know folks say the hairy kids love riding in the back of the pickup but it's better for them to ride inside.

Wendy
Qtz

HI, I was not asking about dogs riding in back of a pick-up I too do not approve of that & think it is unsafe for the poor dog & other drivers.. Im  referring to letting your pet dog ride in your 5th wheel, like we haul prize horses,cows,etc. in 5th wheels...if thats ok & safe, would it not be ok & safe for fito in your 5th wheel?? thanks

[quote author=free2]I was not asking about dogs riding in back of a pick-up ...[/quote]

Understood but, as has been pointed out, it's also unsafe for pets to travel in a fifthwheel while traveling. The physics are similar, maybe even worse inside a fifthwheel.

yes you may right, but that would take in  most any pet or amimal riding in a 5th wheel trailer... thanks...guess I should also state the pet would be in its cage anchor to the floor.... thanks again....

I think the issue for me is the temperature inside the 5th wheel.  If you are not running the A/C, it could get hot in there. 

I also haul horses, not in a 5th wheel, but in a horse trailer.  This is specifically made to haul horses with lot of air circulation.  That's an entirely different consideration.

My preference would be to have the dog/cat in the truck with me; not in the 5th wheel.

Marsha~

My preference would be to have them in the truck with me; not in the 5th wheel.

The horses in the truck with you  ??? 

Marsha, you have me confused  :(

The animal being crated would be an improvement over it being loose in the 5th wheel but I would still recommend not traveling with the pets in a towed vehicle. I can still remember traveling by "cattle car" in the military and being tossed around. Not something I would do to my critters.

Wendy

Whew I think I must have typed a bit too fast....I sure don't want anyone thinking I liked having my horse inside my truck....Now my dog, that's a whole nuther matter.  Charlies loves to ride in the truck!

BTW, I fixed the reply. 

Marsha~

Tom said:
Understood but, as has been pointed out, it's also unsafe for pets to travel in a fifthwheel while traveling. The physics are similar, maybe even worse inside a fifthwheel.

How does that compare to two doggies left in a towed broken down motorhome? Our two doggies were in such for the entire length of NV when our old junky motorhome blew a rod. And they did just fine.

-Don- (Reno, NV <and IMAO, Sha Tin, Hong Kong  feels more like home than being home!)

Dogs in my area of Texas are taught from the time they are puppies to ride in PU beds and trailers, along with being allowed in the seat of the family vehicle.  Many of our cow dogs prefer the PU bed and will not get inside a vehicle or a trailer.  They are quite often seen standing on PU tool boxes, trailers with hay bales, etc.  These dogs are not only pets, but valuable working dogs who are very highly trained with livestock and worth their "weight in gold" to the owner.  I have never in my 40 years in agriculture living in the country seen a dog injured while riding in this fashion.  What is more common is to see or hear about is a pet injured while riding inside a vehicle that has been in an accident.

Great response Riley, good someone spoke up for we "country folk." Dogs, esp Labs, love to ride in the back of a PU, and what kind of person would chain one on?

I love my dogs like I love my kids and grandkids, ....., but the dogs are farther advanced than kids in this area. In fact, a dog riding in the back of a truck would never let a kid riding there with him do anything foolish; dogs are very protective of our young.

As to riding in the fifth wheeler down the road, most likely, the dog will just find a confortable place to rest and sleep mostly the whole way. Make that place confortable and permanent for him and he will know it's his place. Doubt he'll ever complain.

PS--"he" as referenced to the dog, can be "she" as well.

Back
Top Bottom