Link 20 or Link 2000 Experience anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

Does anyone here have experience with either the Link-20 or Link-2000 installed with two separate house battery banks?

I'm specifically looking for information on whether bridging the two banks together occasionally, either during charging or while powering the inverter, will contaminate the data being recorded for either bank.

I realize that, while bridged, the real-time voltage readings may not reflect the true state of charge of either bank, but since all the other data is derived from current measured through the shunt(s) on the negative side of each bank, will it not still be valid?

I would expect the data to remain accurate for each bank because, as you say, each has it's own shunt for measuring current flow.  With our Link 1000 I don't use voltage to measure state of charge but rely on the AH value.  And even if they were bridged, each has it's own sense wire for voltage so those readings would also be accurate.  Voltage isn't reliable as a measure of SOC when charging in any case.

Ned, I agree completely that voltage is not a conclusive measurement of SOC.  What I was trying to say, is that if you were to bridge a fully charged battery, with a nearly discharged battery, you would get a voltage reading that was not indicative of the SOC of either battery.

I don't have an inverter/charger with the Heart interface, so I'm considering the Link 20.  I could permanently bridge the the two banks and use the Link 10 except that they are physically installed so far apart that excess cable would be required to share a single shunt.  Plus, I may as well preserve the flexibility of the two separate banks.

Thanks for your response.

Back
Top Bottom