Goodbye Satellite Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

Can you imagine what it was like before air cards, smartphones, satellite ISP's, no WiFi in parks or coffee shops - and most cell phones in bags? And the frustration for full or part timers trying to just get their email? Many of us started that way.

My entry into the progress was with a portable acoustical coupler with line out the window of my RV by a pay phone. That's why the 1st QZ folk liked to park by the ranger station with access that pay phone booth. The couplers worked great - but not so well on pay phones.

Can't remember the year -- but Datastorm was building and beta testing their auto roof mount Satellite together with DirecWay (now Hughesnet) service. They, their dealers, and beta testers tried everyway to discourage the manual set up of a sat dish.

Fortunately, a sat dealer arrived at the QZ big show with a $600 package that included a one day training program, a dish meant for home install, a 2x4' piece of plywood, a CW analog meter plus a package of shims to level the plywood on the ground. Most everyone I chatted w/about this discouraged my purchase other than Ron Ruward. I bought the 1st unit by a forum member, and Ron got the second one. We figured that what the Datastorm folk were preaching about the FCC would never happen to the manual set up folk, and if it did, our worst scenario would be the loss of $600. As it turned out, within 2 years, most all Datastorm dealers were selling tripod systems.

We were all moving to Tripods, then manual Roof mounts, and the rest is history. Datastorms were selling for 6-9,000 according to complexity of install and tripod systems for between $1600-$2000.  Life was good for all concerned.

Then came the air card, then the air card that really worked well, that gave good enough coverage for most. Used Datastorm auto mounts are now selling for a fraction of their original cost, very few are buying tripod systems -- and the dealer that started the plywood systems closed doors and retired last month.

About 2 years ago I moved to an auto mount by a company in Canada that supported both Hughes and Starband plus others around the world. Mine was via Starband. When Starband upgraded their modem to the Nova, my 481 became obsolete and no longer sold by Starband -- and my mount would not work with a Nova. The Canadian Co. upgraded their SW but also required a $2300 upgraded controller. And that signaled the end of my Satellite Internet days.

In the past 3 days I have had Wally remove my auto mount and replace it with 2 solar panels. Have also purchased, installed and configured a Vz aircard and cradlepoint router. It was a bit sad, but OTOH, great to continue moving ahead as the technology moves ahead. But, hey, as a programmer beginning with vacuum tube machines in the early 60's, I have become very familiar with the exponential path of the technology curve. It has been and continues to be a great ride.  :) :)

And I recall when 10 bps was impressive, over a yellow paper teletype machine and now I get irritated when I can't get 2,000,000 bps.  Oh well.

Good going...Bob.  You'll love the Cradlepoint router.  Which one did you get?  I have the CTR 350 and it is GREAT.

JerryF

Very cool post, Bob.

I'm personally amazed at how much 3G Verizon has deployed.  I would like to believe that my role in developing the technology behind some of the competing, much faster services (which are sadly still deployed only in a handful of cities) is part of what has pushed them to do it.

They must have spent a fortune.

But then again, coverage is the sine qua non of wireless data.

Welcome to the air card world Bob. While in Quartzsite and the storm moved in, the VZ service slowed to a crawl, making it all but impossible to get on the forum. I hopped over to my T-mobile EDGE card, which I've had for a number of years and keep as a backup, and was a happy camper.

Tom said:
Welcome to the air card world Bob. While in Quartzsite and the storm moved in, the VZ service slowed to a crawl, making it all but impossible to get on the forum. I hopped over to my T-mobile EDGE card, ......

Tom,

When the storm moved into Quartzsite, I moved from my Verizon Wireless Broadband with my Cradlepoint CTR-350 over to Ned's satellite and was a happy camper.  BTW, thanks Ned.

Richard

You're welcome, Richard.  Sometimes satellite is the only solution :)

During the heaviest rain when the satellite signal was lost, I had to send an email and switched to VZW via my tethered Droid and it took numerous attempts before it would send.  Doing anything else over VZW was nearly impossible due to the congestion.

taoshum said:
And I recall when 10 bps was impressive, over a yellow paper teletype machine and now I get irritated when I can't get 2,000,000 bps.  Oh well.

In the '70s I managed the US Civil Service Commission (now OPM) computer seminar program for the Western region. We demoed time sharing via portable teletype terminals. If the class was on the road, we carried (wheeled) that puppy to our flight check-in, then to the classroom on the other end. Several times, I had the class around a phone booth outside the classroom and got online via acoustical coupler.

I go pretty far back, but I understand Ned was a student assistant to Charles Babbage.  :)

JerArdra said:
Good going...Bob.  You'll love the Cradlepoint router.  Which one did you get?  I have the CTR 350 and it is GREAT.

Jerry, I decided on the CP 1000 -- one reason being it has 4 ports vs. one on the 350. I have a 3 station network with one purpose of simulating that type of network in an RV park using my software. Two of my machines are desktops that I cable to the router. The 1000 will also give me greater broadcasting range than the 350.

I followed your suggestion of chatting with a tech guy at the 3GStore - and that led to my final decision. He also recommended the 760 USB modem - in that it works better than others with the 1000.

Don't have an antennae as yet. Will explore that now that I have everything else in place. For now, in a test I ran this AM in QZ using www.testmy.net, I am getting 1157kbps down and 429 up. Wow!!! My Starband dish system's best speeds were 1,000 up (but not consistently) and never over 125 up.

Jammer said:
Very cool post, Bob.

I'm personally amazed at how much 3G Verizon has deployed.  I would like to believe that my role in developing the technology behind some of the competing, much faster services (which are sadly still deployed only in a handful of cities) is part of what has pushed them to do it.

Thanks for that comment -- I appreciate that!!

What was your role in developing the technology?

Tom said:
Welcome to the air card world Bob. While in Quartzsite and the storm moved in, the VZ service slowed to a crawl, making it all but impossible to get on the forum. I hopped over to my T-mobile EDGE card, which I've had for a number of years and keep as a backup, and was a happy camper.

Thanks, Tom . . .

The unpleasant serendipity with C-COM auto dish actually happened a year ago - so had been using my tripod backup system since then. While C-Com and Starband tried to find a solution, I found that I could tether my smart phone with Vz for only a $15/month increase in my fee -- with no contract and the ability to cancel and restart anytime. That gave me a good taste of being online with Vz for about 8 months -- so helped a lot in my decision to drop Starband.

Actually, I still feel strongly that Starband was a better system than Hughesnet, and that the C-Com mount was much better than the Datastorm mount. I was on DirecWay and Hughes for years prior to Starband.

Unfortunately, C-Com markets more world wide to governments and to companies that work in remote areas of the world, e.g., firefighters. And I found out too late that they have little interest in RVers -- or Starband (and vice versa with Starband). They do mount HughesNet dishes as well as their own ISP -- and I believe others in other countries.

But again, having a backup system as you do now is a great scenario to have. . .  :)

Ned said:
I recall dating Ada one time.

The Countess Ada is considered the "first programmer" -- and all this time you were teaching her that, and other stuff, behind Charley's back. You devil . . .  ;)

You silly boys. One of my first jobs was as a keypunch operator. I progressed from that to programming mainframes in machine language. And I'm not nearly as old as Ned and Jeff and Bob  :)

Wendy
Qtz

You were late with cards, I had to start with paper tape and sense switches :)

You folks have nothing on me!  I started with two Campbell soup cans and a kite string connecting the cans.  My 2C network, cans that is, went between my bedroom in my parents house and the neighbors house next door.  The only thing you had to do was to pull the string taut before speaking.

JerryF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom