Does my Adventure diesel have two oil filters ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lesd

I was looking under my '99 ADV, and it seems to have some kind of extra oil filter. I spotted a 'normal' looking one, spin on, hanging down, and then this extra big one, where the spin on is inverted. The MH ( with Cummins 5.9 ) is new to me, and I'm just getting familiar with it's features.
Do they have two oil filters?

Attachments

• IMGoil_0709.jpg
    IMGoil_0709.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 97
I've not heard of RVs w/two oil filters, but the diesel fuel filter is normally a spin-on type, and many do have two fuel filters, often with a fuel/water seperator attachde.  My Spartan chassis also has a smaller die spin-on hydraulic filter. Sorry I cannot see your pic well on my little phone screen...

I have one fuel filter near the generator, and it has a water separator as well. There is a fleetguard fs-1268 filter on the engine as well, and that is a fuel filter as well.
What I pictured above may be something to do with the air brakes, I'm not even sure that it is a filter at this point, but it does say 'hand tight only' on it, so I guess it is a cartridge of some type.

Looks like a air dryer desiccant filter manufactured by Midland. This helps keep your air system clean.

It says Midland Grau so it's most likely the air dryer.

You can see the shreader air valve where you can introduce air into your coach to release brakes. It is an air dryer. Art

Also notice the steel braided air line coming in, That is the line coming out of the air compressor and is steel braided so it won't melt from the sometimes hot compressed air coming out of the air compressor. The outgoing line is plastic as by the time the air goes threw the dryer it has been cooled enough to not melt plastic. Art

Look up a little further too Les.  You may have leak at the valve cover that is leaking oil.  Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

Sarge

The air dryer filter element needs to be serviced regularly just like the engine oil, fuel, air filters.  Its purpose is to keep water out of your brake system.  Depending upon your geographic location, the replacement interval varies.  If you' live in an area of high humidity, change it yearly.  If you live in a drier part of the country...maybe you can stretch the service interval a bit.

If the RV is new to you and you don't know when this filter was changed last, then I'd change it ASAP.  The filter kit usually consists of a new spin on dryer filter (visible) and an inner coalescing filter and a new check valve.

Thanks for all the great info! The oil stain Sarge saw is actually on the transmission, I'll try to locate that source today. I live in southern CA , so it's fairly dry here. I wish they had date codes on these things !
-Les

lesd said:
I was looking under my '99 ADV, and it seems to have some kind of extra oil filter. I spotted a 'normal' looking one, spin on, hanging down, and then this extra big one, where the spin on is inverted. The MH ( with Cummins 5.9 ) is new to me, and I'm just getting familiar with it's features.
Do they have two oil filters?

A 5.9 in 99 should be a Cummins ISB 275 or ISB 300, They have several engine filters as follows:

A Water/fuel separator
A Lube Filter
A Fuel Filter 

The filters will be plainly marked although possibly dirty and need to be cleaned see these numbers

Cummins Filtration (formerly Fleetguard) keeps improving filters so I'd try this chart for finding proper numbers.

http://www.freightlinerchassisownersclub.org/Documents/PDF/knowing_your_chassis_200806pg16.pdf

It is your air dryer for the brakes. I have mine changed when I first purchased my jig. (same as yours). It is a good Idea if you do not know the history of it to change it. If it gots to full the service brakes will apply and you will not move. It happen to one other in my club, so I changed mine for good measure.

Hi lesd,

I think I have the same coach as yours. I just bought it last Aug and have been learning all about the diesel and chassis. It's a great coach in my opinion. I'd love to share info with you. So far, I have done the following to mine: Oil and filter changes, air system service, new flat screen TV's (including modifying the cabinets in front), replaced slideout topper, resealed roof, new sink and toilet in bath, new blue tooth radio, new dual pane windows at driver and passenger station (old ones fogged), power seat module for passenger seat, 1,500 watt inverter, new kitchen and bath sink faucets, new satellite TV antenna, new slideout seal, radiator/charge air cooler clean, raise trailer hitch 4", plus lots of small things. Next, I will replace the patio awning fabric, put in a 200 watt solar system and a new converter/charger. Also looking at replacing the carpet and vinyl floor. Sounds like alot but we are having fun fixing it up and also using it. I got nearly 11 mpg on a trip recently to Spokane from our home in Sacramento. Cheers.

R&D

what did you seal your roof with? it is fiberglas correct? I just purchased a 99 Itasca Sunflyer (Winnebago) 36' DP and am bringing the maintenance up to date. I still have to change the coolant and tranny fluid but have done most everything else (chassis lube, oil\filter change, fluid filters, diesel gen maint).

have you had to clean your radiator\charge air cooler fins? I noticed mine are pretty dirty while looking in the engine compartment under the bed.

A good way to keep track of when the filter was last changed is to write the date and mileage on it with a permanent marker.  I usually write it on before I install it and write it on opposite sides so when it is installed you can read one of them.

boatbuilder said:
A good way to keep track of when the filter was last changed is to write the date and mileage on it with a permanent marker

Same here.

Welcome aboard lavaman!  If you have some maintenance questions, it would be best to start a new thread instead of reviving an old one.

I advise taking your coach to a dealer that has the equipment to properly clean your CAC and radiator.  They use a high volume low pressure spray (at least Freightliner Factory Service does and it might have even been heated water) - I watch the cleaning of a couple of radiators and it was quite the production.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom