Pick-up Canoe Rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

With our old pop-up trailer, I would just place our canoe on the trailer when we stayed at a lake campsite.  With our new travel trailer, that's not possible.  I have a Dodge short bed and have been looking at racks that can be used to haul the canoe.  I want something that is easily removeable but every thing I've found that fits this desire is up-wards of a $1000. I would like something that extends out above the cab to support the canoe forward as well as over the bed.  Does anyone have any do-it-yourself ideas or lower cost alternatives to suggest?
Thanks,
Jake

I have seen a lot of homemade racks for pipes. Using the stake holes in the bed and the front bumper brackets as supports, they weld tubing to form a  rack/support running from front to rear over the cab.

I've found some aluminum racks for around $600 and e-mailed the supplier to find out how easy/difficult it is to remove them. I also talked to some local welders and found that it cost as much to have something made up as it did to just get some already designed.  There is a "Pay and Save" here in Tempe that has a modular steel rack for $174 that would do the job but isn't all that easy to remove. It is also too heavy for me to assemble by myself.

Of course, I could probably rent a boat at the campground for less but that seems like cheating. ;)

Back
Top Bottom