vehicles that can be flat towed behind motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine12

any info on what type of vehicle can be flat towed without a lot of modifications would be appreciated.

Motorhome magazine just published their 2010 Dinghy Towing Guide.  It's with the January 2010 issue.

ArdraF

You can acquire prior years of the towing guide here;
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/output.cfm?ID=1073647

Similar information in the Family Motor Coach Association FMC magazine, also January, 2010 issue

Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4 can be flat towed as it has a real transfer case that can be switched to neutral.

Older Acura MDX can be towed four-down.  2005 was the changeover year after which it can no longer be towed.  Also some older Chevy Trackers that have a transfer case.

ArdraF

Are you towing a vintage VW?  I have a rebuilt 1968 VW bug that I am considering towing behind a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer.  Please give me any  comments or suggestions.

WBK said:
Are you towing a vintage VW?  I have a rebuilt 1968 VW bug that I am considering towing behind a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer.  Please give me any  comments or suggestions.

We towed a '72 classic VW bug all year last year behind our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer. When the VW was mercilessly crushed by a crazy travel truck, we bought a '73 classic VW bug. Uses a tow bar that costs less than $150. Put it in neutral, take off the emergency brake, turn the key off and away we go. We use magnetic tail lights stuck on the bumper. On the old VW, Mike ran the cord under the VW, through a tunnel (?) and had a plug at the back for the lights and a plug at the front for the cable from the motorhome....hasn't got that done yet on the 73. It weighs next to nothing. In fact, sometimes, we just push it up to the motorhome when hooking up.

Have fun with your '68. And remember, if someone ever hits it with a gravel truck, and you're talking to their insurance company, it's a "classic, fully-restored Volkswagon."

Wendy

Manual transmission Subarus can be towed four down, and Subaru still makes and sells manual transmissions.

We have a 2008 Mazda 3 with a 5 speed manual transmission and it is not listed as towable and the owners manual states it should not be towed 4 down...doing some searching on the web I found a few who have towed successfully without a problem and this is what the Remco website says:

"Five and Six speed manual..no formal testing. Remco has never heard of a problem towing these vehicles. check for baseplate availabilty."

...hmmm

Jim

Motor Home magazine dingy guide says that a 2008 GMC Canyon can be flat towed even with an automatic tranny.  I thought that all automatics had to be decoupled or they would destroy themselves from heat buildup.  Is that true?

We have a 2007 Canyon with auto and 4WD and it's flat towable.  The transfer case has a neutral position that allows for towing.  I believe the 2WD auto is not towable.

Honda CR-V automatics can be flat towed, at least our two wheel drive 2009 can. Honda provides a short shifting procedure in the manual that you perform before towing.

We have a 2008 Saturn Aura automatic and we flat tow it and there are no issues at all, we pull the fuse and away we go, I am assuming the 2010 Malibu would be the same.

We purchased a 2008 Chevy HHR, it  can be towed 4 wheels down, just by putting in neutural and removing fuse, could not be any easier and we love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom