Who else is on Facebook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cancelled my Facebook account.  Too much political nonsense from friends and relatives that changed my opinion of them.  Don't need it.

Shirley

pssssst......you can keep your friends on FB, but block/ignore any posts by them.  I have good friends that are very political, and instead of getting rid of my friends, I get rid of the posts.....I still like my friends!  ;)

I'm just curious Marc ... since FB is presumably for communicating with people, how does communication happen if their messages are blocked or ignored  ???

Tom said:
I'm just curious Marc ... since FB is presumably for communicating with people, how does communication happen if their messages are blocked or ignored  ???

It's not really a block of all communication, Tom, but rather just hiding their notes to the general Wall. I have several relatives and friends that write constant daily dribble (e.g., "sitting here trying to decide what to do today"), others that post the latest political talking points they hear on Fox or MSNBC, or some that love the dumb (to me) apps such as Farmville, and so forth. About once a week I temporarily UNhide them to see if I missed anything important. Communication still exists via mailbox, direct writes to profile walls, photo albums, and chat.

I have friends and family that "do" do the apps, so I find it a nice feature that I can just hide any post of my wall pertaining to that app vs. hiding the rest of the posts from that person.

This works well for me -- in that they "are" family that I like very much or good friends so I don't want to lose track of them. This allows me to enjoy the other benefits of FB vs. email or forums. Once personal rules are set up such as, "I don't do any of the apps", I find that I do enjoy FB. Right now two of my brothers grandchildren are graduating from college (TCU and Alabama). I can't get to either ceremony, so it is very rewarding for me to see the posts and interactions between family and friends plus the photos from those that are able to attend. W/o FB, I would probably only get an email with a few pics from my brother in a week or so.  :( :)

Bob Buchanan said:
It's not really a block of all communication, Tom, but rather just hiding their notes to the general Wall. I have several relatives and friends that write constant daily dribble (e.g., "sitting here trying to decide what to do today"), others that post the latest political talking points they hear on Fox or MSNBC, or some that love the dumb (to me) apps such as Farmville, and so forth. About once a week I temporarily UNhide them to see if I missed anything important. Communication still exists via mailbox, direct writes to profile walls, photo albums, and chat.

Tom, I do the same as Bob here......if they want to communicate directly with me, they post on MY wall, and those aren't blocked.....

Tom said:
Just curious Grant .... do you see Facebook as a place to advertise, or do you get any other real benefits from being there as a company?

Tom,
Sorry for the delay - we have been swamped this past few weeks!

Facebook truly is a great place to spread the word on both your company's history, new products and services, new photos, etc.  With so many people turning to social networking sites these days, it really reinforces the validity of your business, and your willingness to engage in your customers' needs.  It would be a great avenue for this Forum, further reinforcing the benefits of this site.

From a digital marketing angle, it boost the validity of your business' site on Google ranks, as it links one of the most popular sites in the world to your company's website - a positive sign to Web Search Engines.

Best of all, you can really spread the word about yourself in "real time" at practically no cost, versus the other printed means we rely upon so much!

Thanks for that perspective Grant, much appreciated.

Route 66 RV said:
Tom,
Sorry for the delay - we have been swamped this past few weeks!

Facebook truly is a great place to spread the word on both your company's history, new products and services, new photos, etc.  With so many people turning to social networking sites these days, it really reinforces the validity of your business, and your willingness to engage in your customers' needs.  It would be a great avenue for this Forum, further reinforcing the benefits of this site.

From a digital marketing angle, it boost the validity of your business' site on Google ranks, as it links one of the most popular sites in the world to your company's website - a positive sign to Web Search Engines.

Best of all, you can really spread the word about yourself in "real time" at practically no cost, versus the other printed means we rely upon so much!

I am a fan of many local businesses and when they advertise a special on Facebook, I am more liable to go there.  Don't get newspapers anymore because I read them online, so Facebook is a great way for businesses to advertise and catch my attention.

I haven't taken a newspaper in 20-25 years, but still don't need Facebook.

There are dangers in being on face book but I will tell you folks in advance.. My profile contains false information.. (Security, ID theft given what's on Facebook is not likely to happen)

And Bob... Found you at last,  thanks for the friend request That made it possible.

Hey John, speaking about facebook...how about putting your face in your avatar.

You are famous.. advertise.

carson

Ned said:
The threat is much deeper than what the article goes into.  Many people use the same login credentials for many or all of the web sites they access.  So when one site is compromised, the hacker now has access to any site that requires your login.  The solution, of course, is to use different passwords for every site that requires one.  But how many people really do that?  Raise your hands if you do, I won't have trouble counting :)

Ned,

ONE.....I do that  but it is a royal pain to  recall the passwords.  I have  secured them  elsewhere and must refer to them each time I sign on. 
Betty

I have numerous different login credentials (literally hundreds), most of which could not be cracked with a dictionary attack. I couldn't possibly remember any of them, but I took a leaf out of Terry's book; They're stored in an encrypted file on a thumb drive which requires its own password to access.

When I took over as webmaster for one of our clubs, the prior webmaster mentioned that he uses the same password for all his personal stuff. That was after he shared the password with me.

I use RoboForm to store my login credentials and back them up (encyrpted of course) to the RoboForm server.  That makes them available on all my computers as well as in most browsers.  You can assign a master password to the data if your computer is being shared.  I do export them periodically to a local file so I can recover if necessary.  RoboForm also stores other frequently used data like my credit card numbers and address so I don't have to enter that every time I place an online order.  RoboForm can also generate strong passwords for you if you don't like to make up your own.  I have a scheme for making unique passwords for each site, yet I can recreate them if I'm on a computer without RoboForm.

Interesting Ned, thanks. It's been many years since I used Roboform, certainly before the days when they offered a server to which to back things up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom