The One Most Important Thing To Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve,

Last among the final details we do upon departure is a tradition we started and continue as it exemplifies our lifestyle.  Within the first 100 yards of  our drive Terry says, "Another day........" and my line is "Another adventure."  RVing is surely an adventure
Betty

Yep, I always to the walkaround.  I used to fly and they would certainly drum that into your head.  But........

Two years ago, leaving a campground, did the walkaround, then pulled out of the site.  Before pulling out of the campground driveway into the raod, wife says, "wait, I'll go back and get us a couple drinks before we pull out".  "Great idea!", says I.  So she gets our Cokes and we pull out.

Hey!  You're getting ahead of me here!

Yep, the steps were still down!  Drove through Lake George and halfway home before I happened to look very closely into the passenger side mirror.  Yikes!  Now, I do a walk around after the LAST person enters the vehilce for any reason.

I used to fly and they would certainly drum that into your head.

It is very easy to forget a little detail like the folding steps especially when we've done these things so many times.  Please share your experience as a pilot about ways pilots are trained to overcome routine tasks.  This advice could be very helpful to those of us who spend a lot of time in our RV's.

Thanks!

Well, I've not had any personal "mis-adventure" yet, but while we were at the Parkview Riverside park in Concan TX (our first "real" outing with the new camper), I got to help someone.  I had just stepped out of my trailer to enjoy a cup of coffee, and another couple was just pulling out.  They had a very nice 5th wheel (we're still in the ogle mode at all the other nice rigs).  Anyway, I heard a horrible noise, and found that under the trailer, he was dragging a laundry basket.  I had to run a little to get his attention, but I finally got him.  He gave me one of those "Duh, how stupid do I feel now?" kinda looks.  But all was well, we rescued the laundry basket, and he drove off with a chuckle.

Steve said:
It is very easy to forget a little detail like the folding steps especially when we've done these things so many times.? Please share your experience as a pilot about ways pilots are trained to overcome routine tasks.? This advice could be very helpful to those of us who spend a lot of time in our RV's.

Thanks!

It was just recreational flying but I did own my own plane, so I was serious about it.? It was a small four seat Piper and was very simple to land.? (But, it doesn't matter to the instructor whether you own the plane or not).? They aren't bashful in loudly correcting you.? Some things I got yelled at about.....
  • The VERY last thing you do before your passengers get in is the walkaround.? This is after baggage is stowed and plane is pushed out to the apron, (if it's parked in the grass like mine was).? The passengers wait by the door while I complete the walk around, (then there's no distractions and no one will undo something I just did).
  • Before takeoff checklist - no matter how well you know the drill, you had better be READING it and doing things in the order it says!? "NO!? You check the ailerons AFTER you check the flaps, see step 6?!?"
  • Landing checklist - this was the one I got yelled at the most for.? You're in the traffic pattern, who wants to be looking at a stupid checklist!? ?It was all mundane stuff that I knew already, right?.? Yeah, yeah, drop the flaps one notch, RPMs at 2450, base leg drop flaps another notch, etc.? Blah, blah, blah.? If I didn't read every step, he made me abort the landing and try it again.? Like he said - what happens if you start on a plane with retractable landing gears and you miss the step of dropping the gears before landing!? I guess he had a point there!

Bottom line in all that rambling is that the most professional and qualified pilots, astronauts, etc. are probably a bunch of the most competent, confident folks around and THEY use checklists religiously.? Later.

Steve said:
But after the checklist is completed, and just before putting the transmission in Drive, there should be one very important activity.

I have found that one more check point is necessary after putting the transmission in drive. I keep my foot off the accelerator pedal and let the idle speed of the engine start me forward. If the coach doesn't move, I either didn't release my toad brakes or left it in gear.

Bottom line in all that rambling is that the most professional and qualified pilots, astronauts, etc. are probably a bunch of the most competent, confident folks around and THEY use checklists religiously.  Later.

Having several thousand hours instructing Private, Commercial through Instrument that is very near the same thing I would tell my students no matter what level of training I was giving them.  Why I even flunked a guy on a check ride because he failed to use any kind of a check list and it bit him.  Retractable gear airplane and he went through the check ride with the gear extended.  Of course I had to be carefull not to let him do anything he shouldn't with the gear extended.  First indication I saw that he had realized what he had done is when he reached for the gear to extend.

How many walk around their toad before departing on a trip of 100 mile or so?

For those that have pulled out with the power plug connected a walk around would have most likely prevented that.  Just on the way to Boise on our way down here a walk around revealed a flat tire (outside dual ) that had leaked down overnight.  Could have caused some serious damage had I not done the walk around.

BernieD said:
I have found that one more check point is necessary after putting the transmission in drive. I keep my foot off the accelerator pedal and let the idle speed of the engine start me forward. If the coach doesn't move, I either didn't release my toad brakes or left it in gear.

Very good point Bernie.

The last items before I get into the motorhome is we check the towed brake and turn signal lights and then Lorna pulls forward a few feet while I see that the towed wheels are going around and the towbar is fully latched.

I didn't do a walk around with my popup, drove up the Garden State Parkway for two hours. Walking back to the car at the rest stop I noticed the crank sticking out from when I last cranked down!

Good lesson, I'm lucky that thing didn't fly out and hurt someone.

jerfman

Walking back to the car at the rest stop I noticed the crank sticking out from when I last cranked down!

Oh my!  It goes to show how easy it is to become distracted while preparing for departure. 

Often friends will come by to say good bye while we are preparing to leave.  I find it's best to say all good bye's then perform my circle check, and if I'm not sure, I'll perform a second circle check.

There are too many things that can be easily overlooked, and as in your case could cause serious damage or injury.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Back
Top Bottom