towing with a slider hitch???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1mcrider

I have a stupid question but here goes.  I have towed a 5th wheel for years but have now upgraded to a larger unit and my truck is a short bed.  Since this camper is wider than my old camper I got a slider hitch to use with it.  My question is can you tow with the slider hitch slid back in the manuver position or is it a must to have the hitch slid forward in the tow position. Thanks for your help.

Well first of all, I'm a firm believer that there's no such thing as a stupid question, except for the one that wasn't asked!  (News reporters are the exception to that belief!  :p )  Second, I don't know that much about the slider hitch, but what I do know is, in the "tow" position, it brings the weight of the 5er pin up over the axle, better distributing the weight on the back of the truck.  In the "maneuver" position, it slides it back behind the axle, so you don't take out your back window and destroy the cap of your 5er.  So the answer would be, it must absolutely be in the tow position while towing.

You definitely want the hitch in the tow position, which brings the pivot point further forward. This balances the load on the truck better (splits the weight somewhat between front and rear axles) and makes the trailer tow straighter with less tendency to sway. 

If it were ok to tow with the pivot point in the back position, there would be no need for a slider. You could simply mount the hitch further back on the truck frame.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom