V10 engine head problems? Minnie Winnie 29 problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZuniJayne

Greetings, all!

I am asking this in the Winnie Forum mainly because I am seriously looking at a couple of Minnie Winnie 29s.  Both have the Ford V10 engine in them.

I've heard from no less than three mechanics (one of them Ford) that the V10 engine has a problem with soft heads and has a tendency to spit out spark plugs.  This is a condition that is not acceptable. I tried to ask over at www.ford-trucks.com and they wanted money out of me just to ask a question!

Have any of you heard about this?  Could it have only been for a particular model year?

Also, what are the good and bad about the Minnie Winnie 29, such as a certain part always failing on a certain year?

I plan to tow my 3000 lb 4WD behind it.

TIA,

Jayne

The first year V10's (1997, I think?) had some teething problems, but they were pretty quickly fixed.  Since them it has seemed to be a good solid engine. Maybe not quite as bullet proof as the GM 8.1L V8, but it has been a reliable performer in motorhomes for several years now. You may be hard pressed to find a mid-size C without the V10, given the popularity of the Ford van cutaway chassis for Class C's.

My understanding is that it was the first five years of production and that Ford never really owned up to the problem.

Ford Trucks Spit Spark Plugs
Ignored by Ford, Truck Owners Face Massive Repair Bills

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/01/ford_truck_engines.html

We have a 2004 Minnie 29B Ford E-450 chassis V10.  35K miles, don't want to jinks myself, no problems.  2003 Minnie roof design was changed.  2006 name chaned to Outlook.  Itasca its called Spirit.  I took out the couch and put in two Laz-eboy recliners, we didn't need the couch for sleeping anyone.  I agree with others, early years of V10 had some spark plug problems.  You can go to www.winnebagoind.com and get online spec sheets brochures plus parts list and various diagrams.  Also check out the WIT club.

Like NVRVR, I also have the 29B and am very satisfied with the unit.  The quality, ride, and handling are great.

I have the 1999 V10, first year in the F53 chassis.  We have 90,000 mi on it.  Also had a 2000 Class C with the V10 and put over 70,000 mi on it.  All trouble free.  I wouldn't worry about it.  We have a 20,000# Class A and tow a 3,000# Jeep Wrangler.

The sparkplug problem was on the first generation 275 hp V10 engines.  In 2000 Ford brought out the 310 hp version with 8 threads to hold the sparkplugs in place rather than the 4 on the first generation.

I have an 2006 35 foot V-10 Voyage & so far love it & the engine. pulled us to Colorado with the Jeep behind us up all grades with no problems. Over the Smoke's  along the Blue Ridge with no problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom