Hitches and other Newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sscamper

Hello all! Just a few questions from another new guy on the block from the "great white north". Would appreciate any comments you may have on these topics.

1. Are there any on line rv parts dealers in Canada. I've been to a few sites and they are great if you live in the US but pretty complicated if you want anything sent to Canada. Any recommendations?

2. I think we have decided on a "Equal-I'zer" hitch for our new Rockwood 8317ss. Anyone have experience with a similar setup on a Rockwood? Also, any ideas on what I should be paying for one with 1200 lb bars and would the Reese dual cam set up give me similar performance?

3. With new Rockwood TTs, are the main electrical cords 30 or 50 amps? I was looking to buy an extension cord.

4. Most of our camping will be in parks without sewer connections so we will have to drain at the park dump stations. I have read that you should never drain the black water tank unless 2/3 full or greater. For a weekend trip I wouldn't expect to fill that sucker up. Would I just fill it with fresh water from my fresh water tank and then dump it, or store the contents of the back water tank until the next weekend?

Thanks in advance for you input!

Scott

I think we have decided on a "Equal-I'zer" hitch for our new Rockwood 8317ss. Anyone have experience with a similar setup on a Rockwood? Also, any ideas on what I should be paying for one with 1200 lb bars and would the Reese dual cam set up give me similar performance?

I use a Reese Dual Cam system and in fact have used the same rig for 15 years on two TTs and a heavy boat trailer.? Rock solid anti-sway control as tested in the winds of Banning Pass, Mojave, and the Navajo Rez.? ? ?Dual? Cam rigs like heavy, 500lb plus,? tongue weights.? ?My trailer has a 750lb tongue weight as weighed.

3. With new Rockwood TTs, are the main electrical cords 30 or 50 amps? I was looking to buy an extension cord.

Likely a 30 if using a single A/C unit.? ?However, do not guess, call the dealer or Rockwood and ask.? ?If you buy an extension, buy a short one.? The longer the wire, the higher the resistance.

Most of our camping will be in parks without sewer connections so we will have to drain at the park dump stations. I have read that you should never drain the black water tank unless 2/3 full or greater. For a weekend trip I wouldn't expect to fill that sucker up. Would I just fill it with fresh water from my fresh water tank and then dump it, or store the contents of the back water tank until the next weekend?

You got the routine.? Fill the tank with fresh to near full and dump.? ?Why use high priced gasoline to round-trip a load of sewage?? ?Besides tank sensors are notoriously inaccurate, you could find yourself filling up and having to dump halfway thru your next weekend.? ?However, after a few runs you will get a good idea on how fast you all fill a black tank and be able to do your own judging.

One caution:? ?Never ever use your white, drinking water hose for anything to do with the waste tanks.? ?For that purpose, get a length of colored ordinary garden hose -- colored green, black, or whatever, just any other color but white.? ?Store that hose in the same compartment with your sewerage stuff.? ?Store your white drinking-water hose in another compartment.? ? ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom