ABS light on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madrone

I have an Oshkosh four wheel steering chassis produced at Gaffney shortly before the facility was sold to Freightliner in 1995.

http://www.rvtechstop.com/articles/allsteer.pdf

It has full air brakes and an early ABS system. I recently had new tires installed and evidently the air wrenches shook something up and ever since my ABS light has been on. If any owners of the early air brake FCCC
pusher chassis have had similar problems I could use any information
you have. Oshkosh did not pass the AllSteer system on to FCCC but in
most other aspects the early chassis retained the Oshkosh design and parts remained the same for some time.

Steve
'95 Luxor AllSteer 37

Hi Steve - let's see what kind of response you get in the Winnie board since you have a somewhat unique chassis - if not much activity, I'll move it over to Tech or Motorhome.

First, with the ABS light on it is indicating a failure in the system.  So it is NOT working right now.
So since you say it started after new tires were installed, I would start by checking the ABS sensors at each corner to see if any of them have been dislodged or disconnected.  That is free and will take you all of five minutes.  If they are not at the proper distance from the sensor ring then you can get a failure.  Start by measuring the air gap at each corner.  Then look to see if any of the sensors have come unplugged.

Donn,

I have looked and the wires leading to the drums are intact, are far as measuring as you suggest doesn't that apply to disc brake systems? My chassis is full air and the wheels and drums would have to be pulled,
somewhat more than a 5 minute operation. BTW my rear tires 425/65R22.5, too large for me to pull off
and put back on by myself!

Even on drum brake systems generally the counter wheel is outside of the drum  Or at times is the drum itself.  The ABS sensors are almost always exposed to the weather and can be looked at measured without removing anything.

On some systems you can push in on the sensor and they will re-set the air gap automatically when the wheel spins. Another issue would be if they removed the wheel hubs. If they did you could have a miss adjusted wheel bearing that can send a trouble signal. Also on some systems there is a reset button on the abs ECM. After the sensor adjustment you would push the reset button and then move the vehicle at least 10 mph and it will reset the system if indeed you have corrected the issue. Find out who the manufacture is of your ABS system and investagate their web site. They usally can provide manuals and possibly tell you the procedure for blink codes troubleshooting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom