Toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon Groff

I'm going to need to line up a dinghy for our new Allegro.  We're going to have to trade in my wife's Hyundai Tuscon and that will be a tough sell.  She LOVES that thing!

I've got an unreasoned prejudice against Jeep products.  Something about AMC purple Pacers, I think...  :)

I've heard recommendations for the Honda Fit.  That looks good!  Any other significant success stories out there?  I've got the Motorhome Dinghy guide, but there are so many options there that I can't really use that to target anything specific.  Being a gasser whose size is already a significant challenge for the Ford V10, I want to keep it light too.

Thanks,

Gordon

Assuming your Tucson is an auto transmission, why not just add a Remco lube pump and solve two problems - keeping your wife happy and having a good toad as well. If your Tucson is a manual transmission, it is already towable.

In your size range and assuming you like an SUC like the Tucson: Honda CRV and Fit are good. So is a Chevy Equinox or GMC Terrain. Ford Escape. Suzuki Grand Vitara.

The Honda CRV seems to be the most popular Toad along with most Saturns with standard trans.
  Our first choice was a CRV but price and the need for a dedicated 4WD (vs all wheel drive) pushed us into a Grand Vitara.
  We both still drool when a 40'+ bus pulling a new CRV passes us.

Gordon Groff said:
I've heard recommendations for the Honda Fit.  That looks good!  Any other significant success stories out there?

We have a Chevy HHR and I like it very much, relatively light weight and great fuel mileage. Easy for towing. If I was buying new today, I would get a Honda Fit; good handling, light weight, good fuel mileage and very roomy for it's size. Only negative is that it isn't an offroading 4x4. :(

Gordon,

I'm like your wife I LOVE my Hyundai Tuscon.  Ours is a manual so it can be towed; and we have, all over the place.  So, if it's a manual, it will do just fine.  Hook it up, put the transmission in neutral, turn the key to "accessory", release the brake and off we go!

Marsha~

Thanks all!!  I'm not sure about adding a pump to the auto Tucson - have to check that out.  Any good resources to find out?  That thing has an incredible 4wd system that I can't get it to slip at all, ice, snow split mu, anything.  Can mash the throttle, spin the wheel and it just crawls around w/out slipping.  I'm worried that it is so effective and complex a simple pump may not do the trick.  Dunno.

Going to look at a Fit.  Would love the CRV, but it's extra $$ and ## and we really don't NEED 4wd.  :(

Gordon

Checked out the Fit over lunch.  Not an option.  Sweet Nancy insists on only 1 feature - Heated Seats!  Ouch!  I think she's spoiled.  :D

The CRV weighs in at 3500#.  My Allegro's published vehicle weight ratings indicate I have a 4000 lb. tow capacity.  Would the CRV be too much for it?  It's also $15K more expensive than the Fit.  :'(

The CRV is beautiful!  I also like that we'd still have a 4wd vehicle in the family.  I literally could not have made it to Dulles to pick up our daughter before Christmas this year without it.  The recent snows in SE PA have made me rethink my "Don't need no 4wd in THIS climate" attitude.

Gordon

Hi All,

Can the 4WD CRV be towed?  If so what would I have to do to tow it.  I have a 35J sightseer.

The CRV is towable without mods, both All-wheel-drive and 2WD. There is a procedure for towing in  the owner manual, involving a sequence using the shift lever. It's a very popular toad for gas coach owners, because it is relatively light.

The only other 4WD automatics in that weight class that are towable without mods is the Suzuki Grand Vitara or Ford Escape. They are pushing the limits for a 4000 lb tow limit, but should be ok because many coaches aren't loaded quite to their GVWR either and that leaves a bit more tow capacity.  The coach GCWR is the controlling figure.

We bought a GMC Canyon pickup specifically because it had 4WD, automatic, and had a curb weight under 4000 lbs.

Gordon Groff said:
Checked out the Fit over lunch.  Not an option.  Sweet Nancy insists on only 1 feature - Heated Seats!  Ouch!  I think she's spoiled.  :D

Gordon, we live in Arizona, don't need heated seats ;D ;D

If you are looking for a light load, the Smart Car comes in at 1600 lbs.  We tow one and it does have heated seats.  We really need them in Florida when it gets down to 50 degrees.  It really is a great toad for 2 people

Gordon Groff said:
Thanks all!!  I'm not sure about adding a pump to the auto Tucson - have to check that out.  Any good resources to find out?
Just go to: http://www.remcotowing.com/remco_lube_pump

fixed quote

Heated seats can be added aftermarket, check out Ebay, item number, 130276360575.
J

I also started to think about a new Toad and I like the Escape.
Then I found this.
http://www.fordforums.com/f59/2009-ford-escape-xlt-2wd-3-0l-v6-169014/

I still like the escape But I may get a stick.

Just go to: http://www.remcotowing.com/remco_lube_pump

Phew!  I jumped the gun today and signed for a Honda CRV EXL 4WD.  We REALLY liked the test drive.  I was never real happy with the Hyundai, even though my wife thought it was the greatest thing she's ever driven.  She likes the CRV even more.  Thankfully, Remco does not offer a solution for the Tucson 4WD Auto. :)

Thanks for the link Dands, even if I was almost too scared to look it up after the fact.

I'm spending money like a drunken sailor over here!  ;D  I think I'm done now.  Will be well equipped to HIT THE ROAD......  At least when I can SEE the road again.  :'( We're getting dumped on again here in SE PA.  I wanna be a snowbird!!

Gordon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom