12V issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hopeu01

I am having 12V issues in my TT. When I am hooked up to Shore power of Generator all my 12v stuff works fine. When I go to just battery, the battery indicator first reads full, I turn on the lights and I watch the indicator drop to about half, then the lights start flashing on and off. I checked the batteries and the level in one of them was low (not dry). I tried to refill it and recharge but no go. I then replaced the batteries. I am having the same problem with the new batteries. I disconnected the batteries and charged them for 5 days. Charge indicates full. I also disconnected the converter to ensure that all I was on was DC. Just on DC from the batteries I am having the same issue.

Gene Hopkins
Maple Valley, WA
28' Springdale TT

Sounds like a loose or corroded connection somewhere. You'll need to start at either the batteries or fuse panel and work the other direction until you find out where the problem is. A voltmeter would be a good tool for the job.

Your converter/charger is probably in the power distribution panel and everything seems to work well from that point, as witnessed by proper operation when on shore power. Something is wrong between the batteries and their connection to the 12v power panel.

Bad batteries would just give weak or no lighting. But you said your lights actually flash on & off?  Rapidly or slowly?  That has to be a circuit breaker or relay opening & closing again. Does this still occur when the converter is powered off?

A question I always ask when there are 12 volt issues is what converter do you have. 

Also, does this happen if you are plugged into "shore power" or only when "Boondocking" (no shore power)  This is the more important question.

Next question you said the lights blink... Gary ask some very good questions but left one out..  Do they blink DIM/BRIGHT or ON/OFF.

Every answer leads us closer to a solution.. Usually.

It happens when the converter is off, and the blinking is 1 sec intervals off then on.

Back
Top Bottom