Drinking Alcohol In Your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
geodrake said:
So, what's wrong with driving in our underwear?

We have a new staff member who drives in his underware??? Who was on the nominating committee?

Both my parents are dead alcoholics and one of my sisters and one of my brothers is on the way there. I haven't had a drink in 20 years and I feel fantastic.

Good one George... And I don't know if there is a common theme. but there does seem to be some cause and effect in those two actions, or rather effect and cause... I recall a few photos of OUI's that have been posted to assorted web sites.

Page 2: To the topic: I can not stand the taste of booze so I do not drink it in the motor home.. or anywhere else.

I too wonder about the "open intoxicant" laws when it comes to motor homes.. Now I do use wine in the course of cooking.. But when I'm driving, IF (Currently I don't have any) I were to have a partially used bottle of wine in the rig, it would be locked in a cabinet, well out of the driver's reach. (And I do mean locked, the dang doors come open if you don't lock them)

geodrake said:
Is there is a common theme between driving in your underwear and drinking and driving?.

I would certainly drive in my underwear and could care less about what the truck drivers and bus passengers think (they would probably get a good laugh out of it), but I won't drink and drive.  I too would drink in my underwear.  In fact, in my younger days, I recall drinking and finding myself in my underwear not knowing how I lost my pants or where they were.  Ahhh, youth.......

MikeDeason said:
What's your policy?"

I like a drink now and then (more often now than then ;)). I keep a DOT approved breathalizer in the RV and will NEVER drive if I blow over .06 BAC. .

I also never have ANY open beer or spirits in the RV while driving. At night I may relax with a drink but I am very careful if I overdrink, NOT to drive the next morning (your BAC may still be high).

I think I am very careful bu sometimes wonder about how the rest handle it......

My policy is no drinking 24 hours prior to driving the RV.

Luca1369 said:
I would certainly drive in my underwear and could care less about what the truck drivers and bus passengers think (they would probably get a good laugh out of it)........

Steve, didn't you mention in another post you are a biker? No wonder the truck drivers and bus passengers get a good laugh out of it!!! Where do you keep your wallet? No wait, don't answer that!!!

Joezeppy said:
Steve, didn't you mention in another post you are a biker? No wonder the truck drivers and bus passengers get a good laugh out of it!!! Where do you keep your wallet? No wait, don't answer that!!!

Joe,

I carry a normal folding wallet like anyone else.  The chain wallet bit isn't my style, although I did carry one in my 20s and 30s.  My wallet rests on a small shelf above the driver's seat.  See...that wasn't so bad...

Not sure how it can be a problem for anyone responsible, without denouncing the demon alchohol.  When we travel we stop forr the night, maybe have a drink, occasionally 2, and then drive the next day.  Would anyone in their right mind stop at a roadside rest, have a couple, blow into a breathalyzer, and continue on?  I sure hope not!

Policy?  Only when stopped for the night.

John From Detroit said:
I too wonder about the "open intoxicant" laws when it comes to motor homes.. Now I do use wine in the course of cooking.. But when I'm driving, IF (Currently I don't have any) I were to have a partially used bottle of wine in the rig, it would be locked in a cabinet, well out of the driver's reach. (And I do mean locked, the dang doors come open if you don't lock them)

From Wikipedia's article on the subject*, open bottles of alcoholic bever

To comply with TEA-21, a state's motor vehicle open container laws must:
  • Prohibit both possession of any open alcoholic beverage container and consumption of any alcoholic beverage;[8]
  • Cover the passenger area of any motor vehicle, including unlocked glove compartments and any other areas of the vehicle that are readily accessible to the driver or passengers while in their seats;[8]
  • Apply to all open alcoholic beverage containers and all alcoholic beverages, including beer, wine, and spirits that contain one-half of one percent or more of alcohol by volume;[8]
  • Apply to all vehicle occupants except for passengers of vehicles designed, maintained or used primarily for the transportation of people for compensation (such as buses, taxi cabs, and limousines) or the living quarters of motor homes;[8]
  • Apply to all vehicles on a public highway or the right-of-way (i.e. on the shoulder) of a public highway;[8]
  • Require primary enforcement of the law, rather than requiring probable cause that another violation had been committed before allowing enforcement of the open container law.[8]
So just keep the booze out of the drivers and passenger's seat, and any consoles or glove compartment...and most importantly out of the driver.  8) 

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_open_container_laws

From some of the posts there appears to be some confusion over drinking (alcohol) and driving laws.  Some posters seem to believe that they are unaffected by even a small amount of alcohol in their system, yet science has repeatedly shown that even one beer, one shot or one glass of wine can have a debilitating effect on motor skills, reaction time and, more importantly, judgement. 

Most States, if not all, have a two pronged approach in controlling driving after having consumed alcohol or drugs.  The obvious one is if your blood/alcohol content is above .08 (some States may be .10 - Commercial Truck Drivers in CA for example, is .06 and teen drivers zero).    So that's a specific standard we can all relate to.  On the otherhand, if you have had just one drink, and, in the view of the attending officer - based on other prevailing circumstances - your driving ability is impaired,  that could also lead to arrest.  Sure you would be given a breath test and asked to provide a blood sample for future analysis at the Station house.  However even if your blood/alcohol content (BAC) is below the limits outlined above it would only negate that specific charge from being added to the arrest docket or citation.  The 'driving while impaired' charge would/could still stand.  That blood sample would also reveal any drugs, prescription or otherwise, in your system while you were operating the vehicle, potentially supporting the original arrest. 

Which begs the question...is an officer likely to make an arrest just because he gets a whiff of alcohol on the breath of an RV driver following a lawful stop?  And the answer...maybe.  It's a judgement call and one of potential liability if he fails to do so.  Imagine the effects if the officer allows the alcohol-breathed driver (RV or otherwise) to continue on his way and the driver is then involved in a collision...can you say "lawsuit" let alone probable significant discipline against the officer's possible negligence.    'Passing' your own,  self-adminstered and publicly available breath test and then driving is not going to prevent your arrest should you be subject of a traffic stop or collision.  In fact will likely do more harm than good (shows intent) if it comes out in any criminal or civil procedings.

Folks, no matter how tolerent you think you are when it comes to consuming alcohol, getting behind the wheel after having downed a cold one, is just... irresponsible (I was going to say 'plain stupid' but thought someone might get offended).  Not necessarily because of your ability to operate the vehicle safely but because of and including  other risk factors.  Should you be subject to a traffic stop or involved in a collision, even if it's not your fault.  Any Police Report - will likely show the accident as 'alcohol related' and your insurance company will react accordingly.    And remember, you don't necessarily have to be driving on a public roadway or highway to be subject to drink/driving regulations.  Simply being impaired behind the wheel or even in close proximity to the vehicle with the keys, in many States, satisfies the crime of being in charge of the motor vehicle...Contrary to popular belief, you don't even have to be 'driving'.    Go ahead, roll the dice....

BT

Simply being impaired behind the wheel or even in close proximity to the vehicle with the keys, in many States, satisfies the crime of being in charge of the motor vehicle...Contrary to popular belief, you don't even have to be 'driving'. 

And if you think being on private land makes a difference, think again.  In Texas, the DPS have authority if you are behind the wheel, even on your own land.  A rancher one town over from me found out about that the hard way and he wasn't drinking!  Several years back, he was driving fast on his own pasture land (chasing cows) while visible from the highway.  A DPS trooper saw him, pulled over, flagged him down, and issued him a ticket for reckless driving and excessive speed --- on his own land!  That's when a number of us found out just how much authority the DPS Highway Patrol actually has!  So, even in your own driveway or your back pasture, if you are in your vehicle, or motor home, you are subject to the vehicle laws of the state you are in and that includes the laws concerning open alcoholic beverage containers in a passenger compartment and alcohol consumption in a vehicle. 

Ojisan here, As an Arizona resident with over 30 years of Law enforcement t experience I have learned that over the years DUI (Driving under the Influence of Alcohol/drugs)will put a world of hurt on your R.V.driving. 

The Issue here is the motorhome and how law enforcement view the fact that you are in your home traveling up and down the road.  This is where reason and moderation in the law enforcement community comes to play.

Stopping in a rest stop (temporary stop) and downing a cold one is not  of the way to do things.  Parked in a designated r.v. campsite with the slides out, levelers down and hunkered in for the night you have transitioned from mobil status to home status.  Good to go enjoy!  What sometimes happens is the old "being in physical control of a motorvehicle while under the influence of alcohol" can happen but only under unusual circumstances. (many times the car waiting at a RR crossing and the impaired driver falls asleep at the wheel waiting for the train to pass) qualifies as physical control yet not driving. So downing a barley pop after stopping at a road side rest stop and getting behind the wheel  to travel down the road just don't hack it.

One beer and your are impaired, the smell of beer (tell me what alcohol smells like) on your breath is probable cause for the officer to start his DUI investigation.  Try this scenario out for size.  You have just had something happen to your motorhome, hear something you didn't like, you pull far over to the side of the road to investigate, finding nothing you hop back in and because it is hotter than all get out you "pop a top"  sitting back in the comfort of your R. V, you hear a knock on the door.  Your friendly Highway patrolman stopped to see if everything is O.K. see where this is going! 

R. Vers are not, as a general rule, going to risk their very expensive means of transportation/ home to having it impounded cause the driver was under the alfuence of incohol.  Most of us are beyond the stage of irresponsibility (well at least some of us) and realized that the risks associated with DUI are unthinkable.

Remember NON FOR THE ROAD! Drive and ride safe! 

Thank you Carl... As I said, I wondered about that. I don't worry about that cause, Well, as I said, I don't care for the taste of booze so I keep it "Out of the driver" as you said.

Someone up-thread said something like "I don't see how it could be a problem for anyone responsible"

That's the problem.. Not everyone is responsible... Epically when it comes to drugs.

Alcohol, Tobacco, Narcotics, Hallucinogenics, and several other "Physco-Active" drugs tend to be addictive, and when you get addicted, your responsibility goes out the window.

I have very little doubt that if it were not for the taste factor (Can't stand it), and perhaps one or two other personality traits (like I place a high value on a clear head)  I'd be addicted to booze. 

However.  As I said, for me that will never be a problem.

I do know several others however... For whom one drug or another is a SERIOUS problem. (This includes aspirin which though non-addictive, far as I know, Is a factor in many ulcers)

And likewise I know folks who use the occasional drug, with no serious ill effects.... The key word however is "Occasional"

Or even regularly.. but in moderation (Example. a baby aspirin a day to help prevent heart problems)

I understand a glass of wine a day is good for the heart as well.  (Though it may be only Red Wine (or white) I don't know)  There are some wines that I don't mind the taste of.

After almost, 30 years in the insurance business. I might add one other thing.  To most insurance companies DWI,DUI, ACV, open container etc are all treated as "Alcohol Related Violations". All will raise your rates from 2 to 4 times if not an outright cancellation.  I remember one individual who spent $2000 in legal fees and got his case plea bargained down from DWI to ACV. To his insurance it was the same thing.  I still believe in NONE FOR THE ROAD AND MODERATION AT HOME.
tONY

DON'T DINK AND DRIVE. PERIOD.
but i do have a question, i myself rarely drink, maybe 2 or 3 times in a year, but what about passengers? if they are sitting in the living area while you are driving they are drinking and you are not, does that work or is that a no no too?

John From Detroit said:
Alcohol, Tobacco, Narcotics, Hallucinogenics, and several other "Physco-Active" drugs tend to be addictive, and when you get addicted, your responsibility goes out the window.

I have never heard of proof that ANY hallucinogenic was addictive.  Although it's possible that the individual using them may have an "addictive" personality.  Often the problem lies in the person and not the substance.

Either way, it has been socially incorrect to drink and drive for years, a lot of that credit goes to the efforts of groups like MADD (and the loss of many lives to drunk drivers). 

If you feel the need to have a drink and then the need to drive somewhere, you should decide to do one or the other, but not both, no matter how low you think your blood alcohol level is.  To put other folks in jeopardy for want of a drink and a drive is simply WRONG. 

Some good info that I didn't know here. As mentioned, keeping OPENED alcohol out of the driver and passenger areas is crucial. I will NEVER pop a cold one in the driver's seat.

Occasionally, at night I will have a couple or more in the sleeping area but only if at a Camp Ground. If I blow .06 BAC or over I will NOT DRIVE PERIOD (Once at .06 but that was an emergency). I will wait until at least .04 BAC to drive.

I have the DOT approved breathalizer recalibrated and checked for accuracy every 6 months and do at least 5 tests before confirming results.

I like to think that I am being responsible.

'Responsibility' and sound judgement is waiting for that Breath meter to read 00.  before operating a motor vehicle.  As I said before, if an officer smells alcohol then you will be subject to a DUI investigation.  No matter if  the reading was 01. before driving you are still vulnerable and culpable.  The mere odor of alcohol on your breath or person, opens the flood gates to a potential world of hurt.

bt
(Full career in law enforcement, including DUI Investigation, Traffic Accident reconstruction, Emergency response, Traffic and Road Safety enforcement, Training and Supervision).

Back
Top Bottom