Winter Modifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirkwood

I've got a '07 Sierra 33' 5th wheel that I use while working out of town, this is the 3rd winter I've spent in it, it's not a 4 season trailer. This summer I plan on doing some modifications on it to make it more comfortable. Any help or advice on products, links, or procedures would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking about spray on foam insulation, something for the water lines, the city water connection, and possibly something to do with the furnace ducting. Also are there schematics for the plumbing, electrical, and mechanical systems on these trailers or is it a search and destroy mission?

If you have the opportunity to park it where you have hook ups that would be a plus. I was in Montana in the winter and I purchased some 2 inch thick blue styrofoam sheets that I cut up to fit under the coach where the holding tanks are. Added a small heater and was good to go. If you can obtain bales of hay, you can outline the perimiter of your rig, and add the heater- way away from the hay.
Best yet, plug into 50 amps and then you can get all the power you need for heat. A large exterior propane bottle, would be a plus, especially if you can transport it to be filled. It can be done- just a lot of planning is required.
Ernie

For the water lines i would put a 100w light bulb in any compartments. if they are exposed under the floor put heat tape on them but don't leave it on when traveling if it goes through a wall or anything hard it will chafe and fail.

I would recommend against the hay bales they harbor pests and are flammable.

where are you going?

I've spent 3 winters in Kansas City and 1 in Cleveland -11 was the coldest.

I'm from KC so I know exactly what yer' talkin' about!!!! BRRRRRR!!!! I've spent 2yrs in north Mo and 1yr in western Ill, right on the Missippi river, this year I'm north of St Joe Mo, we've had several mornings in the minus teens, dang thats cold!!! Been working on pipelines and wind farms, gotta go out of town as there isn't much work in the KC area for bulldozer operators. I've built skirting for the outside, that helps alot, and also use the onboard fresh water when the city water connections freezes. Thinking about taking the underbelly off and seeing what I can do there. Tank heaters for sure, and also some insulation for the floor, forthe floor I'm thinking about that spray on expanding foam stuff. I think it comes in different densities, the less dense would be better, wouldn't it? The furnace duct work and inside water lines are another thing, still thinking about that one.

Thanks for any info and input.

If you can deal with the cold there you should be ok anywhere south of Alaska. Coldest winter i ever saw and hottest summer were both in KC.

When i was there last spring there was a lot of people working on the pipelines it was a little hard finding a campground spot.

I had a 2000 Cherokee. On it the main water line dropped under the floor ran about 2 ft and came back up inside the kitchen cabinets. The part on the outside froze i couldn't even use the tank water because it was the same line there. underneath there wasn't and insulation just the black plastic, so i put heat tape on it and it worked for as long as i owned it.
I also had some freeze ups where the piping gets too close to a wall and it gets really cold. mostly opening cabinets

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom