rv brands for winter living

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbirdguy

I was wondering what rv brands of rvs are best for winter living? And all year long in maryland thanks

Canadian make Triple E is good, newer models, but a lot of makes out there offer a winter package, insulated tanks and more...
Make sure you get the right info from the maker of the RV and beware of sales people, do your own research to be on the safe side
[b]Make sure the valves are heated not just the tanks[/b]
Good luck

I am currently of the opinion that they're all pretty bad despite some of them being marketed as being "arctic ready."  If there's anyone who lives someplace where it gets really cold and runs their rig in January with a positive report I'll stop thinking like that.

They're all insulated and many have heated tanks and water lines but that's not really enough for serious use in cold weather.  Things to watch:

* is there a vapor barrier between the interior wall and the insulation (I've never seen one on any rig, condensation between the walls is a huge problem for frequent/lengthy winter use)
* are the windows double glazed (some are, you'll get condensation if they're not)
* are the roof vents double glazed (some are)
* is the city water inlet protected from freezing (never seen one that is and usually the pressure regulator right behind it isn't either, crack, drip drip drip even if you're running with the tanks and internal pump)
* is the insulation continuous around the shell?  Areas to watch:  wheelwells... sides of fridge... compartment doors.  Often makers figure a certain amount of heat loss is acceptable.  If you have a compartment under the bed, accessible from in and out, is the outside door insulated?

Caveat emptor

I. Am currently looking at a sunnybrook 267rl any good for winter living it has enclosed underbelly and heated tanks what brands are good

I found a new 09leftover sunny brook 267rl for 17700$is it worth it should I get it

What do you expect for $17,xxx?  It's an economy RV, one step up from a popup.  If you're OK with that and you understand what you're getting, fine.

Can you take it on a ski trip once in a while?  Sure.  Will you be happy living in it for all of January and half of February in North Dakota?  Well, no.

It seems to be of more quality thain some I have seen please not bash each outher just try and help thanks whell thain what is a good rv for cold weather at a resonable price under 25thousand and is nice and roomy some you guys have mentioned similar to what I want like the sunnybrook layout is almost 40g I can't afford that right now I waqnt a new or leftover but still new as I wil probably stay in in in the winter any help would be nice thanks

I have seen sunnybrook mentioned for winter living on some rv forum would you recomend it????

The trouble is that even a modest upgrade with "winter stuff" adds considerably to the price and also puts you in a factory order situation where you're not going to be able to make a deal on leftover inventory.  If I were looking at a winter TT I'd look at Arctic Fox:

http://www.northwoodmfg.com/arctic/model.php?id=584501689

But the base price is higher and then if you want the winter windows and stuff it's more money.

I don't have much experiance with that model. I like the layout but 1 thing to check is where the water lines run. if it goes across under the floor it may be trouble when it's cold.

What's the typical temps in Maryland?
It says r-7 insulation so it will use a lot of heat. you should get a 100# tank some campgrounds have them on site and will refill it.

Tipical temp I would say woul be between 15 and 90 what kind of price are we looking at on artic fox I like them too! I like 26x and 27t thanks

I think they typically end up selling around $25,xxx or so.  They're supposed to be nice trailers.

If I could get the 27t for that I would concider it 25000$ that's nice I will try and call dealer for. Actual price any one have expirence with artic fox or sunnybrook travel trailere how do they hold up how do they pull. Thanks again

I bought an Arctic Fox 26x in 2000 - it's a very nice trailer.  In fact, I got mine from a salvage yard after it flipped and fell over onto it's side.  After replacing the bent hitch, some patching of the Filon exterior and fixing a couple of interior dents from flying furniture it's been good ever since.  I doubt many other trailers would have survived as well.

The 26x tows nicely.  The hitch weight is on the high side, which adds to stability, but means you have to be careful and get a hitch that can handle the weight.  I use a Reese Dual-Cam sway control and am very happy with it.  The payload capacity is absolutely amazing at something like 3000 lbs.  You won't be able to get that much stuff inside, but it means the running gear and frame won't be stressed as much as a trailer that is running at it's full rated GVWR.

I've used it down into the low 20s and it's performed well.

The 29V is exactly the same trailer except with additional space in the bathroom and bedroom.

When we were researching Class B (van) RVs, I talked with a guy who had just sold his 2002 CoachHouse Platinum and he lives in south central Colorado where it gets very cold in the winters, and he had gone RVing all winter long with it for all the years he owned it, using filled water tanks, shower, toilets etc....7 yrs...with no problems. He said he bought it because Coach House had better insulation of water tanks etc. for winter use.  Since he'd already sold his unit, we ended up buying a Roadtrek, which isn't really insulated for winter use. Therefore I can't verify what he said about the CoachHouse, but he seemed honest. You might want to check it out, if you think you can live with the smaller Class B unit.

Any more brands.  I know of topaz.  Artic fox and.  Hitchhiker.  Any body have one?

mrbirdguy, what did you end up going with? does anyone possibly have any new advice on this in the mean time? have any brands begun to stand out? I'm looking to full-time in Maryland as well. advice is much appreciated.

mrbirdguy hasn't been here since March, 2010, so don't look for any replies from him.

Back
Top Bottom