TV and electronics ReDo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

My 1997 Southwind was equipped with a honking CRT style TY.  They bult a very nice and strong overhead cabinet to house it.  With the advent of more add on electronics, TIVO, SAT receiver, DVD, Surround Sound etc, the other overhead cab's were tight and got hot. 

With limited budget, and with mainly stuff I had, we redesigned.  TV cabinet became the stacked electronics cabinet.  TIVO, Other SAAT receiver, Surround, Switching components, Digi to Analog converter, remote extender etc.  The oter overhead cabs will store DVD's. maps, bowling balls the usual stuff that goes overhead.

TV, DW did not want it mounted high, No matter how I was going to do it, no way up high.  Plan was to house an existing (analog) flat screen in the center lift portion of dash.  Almost fit, missed it by |___________________________________________| that much.  So, plan A (DW's), plan X (mine), TV will ride on bed and hook up and set on dash.  One good side of that, when it dies, I can get a wider screen TV and not have to do over any housing. 

Here are some pics of the empty cab up thru finished, other than installing rest of components.

Update, my DVD, surround sound has been having issues with the load/unload action.  I opened it up, hoping to fix it, but it just won't work.  Found a real nice one on eBay at a Best Buy Outlet.  New in box, discontinued model for less than 1/2 what the new model costs, and free shipping!  Just waiting now....

Attachments

• 100_3931.JPG
    100_3931.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 100_3933.JPG
    100_3933.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_3935.JPG
    100_3935.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 100_3945.JPG
    100_3945.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_3938.JPG
    100_3938.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 199
Since my bus is old and it had a 9 inch backup/tv, the back up portion works great. i bought a 26 inch LCD and set it on the dash. Doesn't weigh much and stow it on the bed, also for traveling. The newer coaches have a larger area for the flat screens.

Here you can see across the top.  Also istalled the satellite system thru the roof and surround sound. 

Attachments

• IMG_7726.jpg
    IMG_7726.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 177
Thanks so much PancakeBill.  Great job!  I am just starting a remodel of my 1997 Southwind 32H's entertainment system.  It has the same overhead setup as yours.  Your post, and pictures, are much appreciated.  I had the exact same idea, right down to the glass doors on the new component housing (old TV location).  I am going to Costco today to pick up a 32" LCD and like you, will store it (hopefully under the couch) and set it on the dash when desired.  Did you have any issues that I should know about before starting the overhead cabinet modification?  The old TV cabinet is angled down a bit towards the back of the coach, is that a problem?

Thanks again,
Dave

I kept the same angle for the shelving little velcro on the bottom of components.  4000 mile since install, no issues.  We store our tv on the bed while traveling.  I took the front panel off the couch, made it so it can lift off.  Maybe yours is different.  Have a couple slide out storage things in there with printer paper etc. 

BTW, the frame is not wood, it is a composite.  to mount the door hinges I put blocks in the cabinet, the frame can come off and leave the dors in place. 

Have fun

Yeah, I figured that the small angle of the new component cabinet would not be an issue.  Thanks for the verification and the hinge mounting tip.  The front kick panel of my couch comes off and the LCD I purchased today slides underneath with no problems.  I'm a little concerned about the TV resting only on it's base and top edge when laid flat, may build a slide-out shelf to support it more evenly.  Don't know if it's necessary, amazingly the 32" LCD TV only weighs about 20 lbs.  By the way, are the doors on the front of your component cabinet made of glass or are they an acrylic/lexan?

Thanks for your help!

Acrylic.  Had them cut at the shop I bought the acrylic at.  Figured they would do a better job than I could, but they didn't.  I noticed it when I was installing but no longer.

Back
Top Bottom