Flying J Bankruptcy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

Not sure what this means but Flying J filed a plan today under it's bankruptcy declaration it filed a year ago. Article here.

Sounds like they're taking the high road - pay their creditors in full even if it means shrinking the business.  My hat's off to them.

I'm not sure what having Pilot take over majority interest in the Travel Centers will do to them, but that will probably impact us the most.

The Flying J Travel Centers have been operating as part of Pilot since late last summer and there haven't been any obvious effects on RVers. My FJ Mastercard and FJ Rewards card still work fine.

Since the Pilot takeover FJ seems to have lost its competitive pricing. They have gone from being equal to a few cents low to 6-8 cents over the local average.

When we came across the southern US (FL-AZ) in December we used them for their RV facilities when needed but paid a premium for them.

IMO, the last advantage FJ now has is giving the cash price at the truck pumps when you use your credit card and also providing the AZ truck tax rebate 8?/gallon at the truck pump. I continue to seek out FJ stations since I always pay with a credit card and the net cost is usually as low or lower than other local stations.

We've been seeing Flying J prices as competitive as ever.  When we fueled in El Paso yesterday, both FJs were the lowest in town and still are today.

The Flying J's I see in southwest Florida are competitive with but not lower than other truck stops. Still get the cash price with a credit card, though, when using a FJ Reward Card or FJ Credit card.

pilot----- is this the fuel  company that is owned by the Venezuelan government?

FJ seems to have lost its competitive pricing

That was my observation this past weekend driving from Florida to Upper New York State.  Each station along I-95, I-81 was several cents more expensive than local competitors and more expensive than nearby urban retailers for fuel.

Usually the competitor across the street from FJ was a couple cents cheaper, then I discovered neighboring towns had stations selling diesel far less expensive than the local FJ.

What with the run down facilities, and the overcrowding, I for one have lost my loyalty for FJ and patronize those with the lower prices.

I continue to patronize Flying J because you can use your credit card and still get the cash price when you use your RV Club card at the truck pumps. Flying J also now gives a 2? discount on diesel purchases if you have linked your RV Club card to your online account.

The Flying J's in Florida & Georgia seem to be maintaining a 2 cent difference below Pilot stations in the same area, even though Pilot is now their parent company.  But I would not assume that FJ is the cheapest in any area either - there may well be a cheaper station if you watch the billboards or hunt around.

Like Bernie, we still tend to patronize FJ because of the cash price on credit card offer for FJ RV card holders. Since I am not paying cash for $300+ worth of diesel, that discount makes a big difference.

jdewellz said:
pilot----- is this the fuel  company that is owned by the Venezuelan government?

Pilot is owned by the Haslam family out of Knoxville, TN, which is where their corporate HQ are.  You may have heard of Bill Haslam, who is running for TN Governor this year.  He's part of the family.  They do have a foundation to help non profits and they are not owned by any foreign entitiy.

No, I don't work for them.  Just had dealings with them in my past non-profit life.

The Pilot/Flying J merger has not been completed.  They are still working out details with the FTC.  Here's the latest news article I could find on the merger.

The fun thing with the "J" is the more you spend in the store this month, the more you save at the pump next month... Thing is.. Till last month (March) I had not set foot in or on a "J" for several months.. Still I got 5cents per gallon off.

5 cents corresponds to the amount I spent in the store IN NOVEMBER

Seems. if you don't visit a J, they are now putting your discount on "Hold" till you do.. and when next I visit I should still be at the nickle off level.. (Just)

That will, very likely, be October or November there being only one "J" near me and it is a half hour in the direction I'm not traveling.

A few days ago I received a email from FJ about the change they were making to the free dumping...we always chose to buy our gas there, sleep there, eat there as it made good cents to do so.  Recently we took the car on a 2500 mile trip to see the kids as it was cheaper to stay with them than pay for the extended stay at a RV park and the gas etc.  And the hills in this area are more "scenic" if you know what I mean.
I thought that if we ate and gas up there  the month before we left for Michigan (home) we get this discounts that had always alluded us.  Not all the stops had a restaurant and when they did the food was G awful...in one case my "hot" roast beef sandwich was ice cold and when they brought it back it wasn't changed a bit....I stuck my finger right into the  mashed potatoes....the third time I should have got up and walked out but they were at least warm.  another time we ate the buffet and it was terrible also.
I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BANKRUPT GOINGS ON!

Now it all makes sense.... I too thought the gas prices were not up to Fj standards...we get 7.5 miles to the gal. with our MH and did get for a few mins. this trip 32 with the car...we are lucky to see lower prices at this time of the year it just goes to show just how bad things have gotten.  FJ is just trying to survive...by charging the extra 5.00 fee...why they just couldn't come out and say so...
I miss the old FJ...   

If you go to your account on-line you can print two coupons for dumping.

here 'tis: (we used one already and have one left) https://b2c.flyingj.com/fjportal/appmanager/b2c/loyalty

E-CouponsCoupon Description  Value  Issued On  Expires On 
Waste Dump Disposal Fee    $10.00  06/03/2010 09/13/2010

In assorted places this new charge to dump thing is hotly discussed.

The bottom line seems to be this.. IF, and I stress IF, you have a Flying J RV Rewards (Frequent fueler or loyalty) card.

You can dump once a day, free.

Taoshum's comment on printing 2 coupons is news to me.  But I'm told you can just present your loyality card once a day.

Back
Top Bottom