Quartzsite Arrow Goof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

There has been discussion of late about having a second (or third) carry around camera for those shots we come across when the big guy cameras are not with us. For the most part, my Omnia by Vz Smart Phone has been my carry around - tho I have a small P/S Insignia that I found one day on a bike ride. However, the Omnia is always with me.

Anyway, while visiting QZ about 3 years ago the 4 lane on 95 from Main St to the North city limit was being finalized -- and street markings painted. I had heard about this arrow goof, but had never taken the time to grab a photo. So this AM, armed w/my 5.0mp Omnia I got the shot.

If driving South on 95, there are lanes to turn right (West) onto Main, lanes to continue South on 95 (toward Yuma) -- or, to turn left (East) onto Main Street.

Notice the direction of the left turn arrow in the attached image. :)

Edit: Have added a couple more pics to better understand the nature of that very busy intersection. After all updates were comleted, one can now turn either left or right when entering the Main/95 intersection from any direction.

The second pic now views two trucks turning East onto Main from 95 -- note the two left turn arrows lit. Also, note the second truck almost sitting of the arrow pointing West.

The third pic now views the left turn lane if traveling East on Main, wanting to turn North onto 95. Note how far back the left turn arrow is.

Attachments

• QzArrowGoof.jpg
    QzArrowGoof.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 106
  • EastOffOf95.jpg
    EastOffOf95.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 62
  • NorthOffOfMain.jpg
    NorthOffOfMain.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 56
from the lines I would call that a suicide lane both lanes of traffic have "right of way." or at least that is what I have been taught the yellow with solid and broken line facing away from the lane you are traveling in.
that being said the car in the photo opposite you has the "right" to come straight through the intersection and make a left turn from that lane. presuming there is somewhere to go to (store parking lot)
usually around here they also paint another arrow going the other way.

In theory, the lane can be used to come out of parking lots as well and a sort of on ramp. IE: if road runs North/South and you need to make left turn out of a parking lot heading North. North bound traffic is heavy, South bound light. you can pull into the "center lane" and wait for the North bound traffic to open up. You would be parked in lane facing North with signal indicating you wish to re-enter North bound traffic.

Bob, I don't think that's a goof.  That arrow is for the northbound traffic turning left at the next street.  It would be a goof if the arrow were located nearer the intersection of 95 and Main (like the arrows in the other two lanes).

rsalhus said:
Bob, I don't think that's a goof.  That arrow is for the northbound traffic turning left at the next street.  It would be a goof if the arrow were located nearer the intersection of 95 and Main (like the arrows in the other two lanes).

Rolf, there was an article the QZ paper about this - and they also referred to it as a goof. The arrow is closer to the intersection than the perspective of my shooting angle indicates - much closer. Also, there is an arrow just under, or behind my Jeep pointing pointing to the East. I believe the QZ paper indicated they were reversed by mistake.

As I approached the intersection to take the pic -- the fellow in the East bound left turn lane would have the right of way to to enter my lane head on with me. If he entered the lane, as he should, to my left, he is past the arrow in front of me, indicating he could  make a left turn from the center lane.

Also, if I continued, not knowing that intersection -- the current arrow indicates it is OK for me  to make a right turn onto Main from that center lane. That actually happened, if I understand correctly - and that 's what led to the Q paper article.

Rolf, there was an article the QZ paper about this - and they also referred to it as a goof.

Bob, I didn't know Quartzsite even had a paper!  I learn something every day.

The arrow is closer to the intersection than the perspective of my shooting angle indicates - much closer.

No, I don't think so.  That arrow was intentionally placed a long distance away from the intersection so as to not be confused with one placed at the intersection (like on the other two southbound lanes).  Another thing, since there is no painted left arrow for southbound traffic at this intersection, it looks like it is illegal to make a left turn on Main St at this intersection.  Notice that there is no left turn signal light for 95 southbound traffic turning left (east) on Main St.  Therefore, a left turn is illegal for 95 southbound traffic turning east on Main Street. 

Pretty confusing, I'll admit, and subject to interpretation in different ways.

As I approached the intersection to take the pic -- the fellow in the East bound left turn lane would have the right of way to to enter my lane head on with me.

There is no fellow in the East bound turn lane because there is no eastbound turn lane, that fellow has to go straight ahead as indicated by the straight ahead arrow in his lane.  The solid yellow line also prevents him from crossing into your lane.

Also, if I continued, not knowing that intersection -- the current arrow indicates it is OK for me  to make a right turn onto Main from that center lane.

No, that arrow in your lane is for northbound traffic only, not for you.

it looks like it is illegal to make a left turn on Main St at this intersection.  Notice that there is no left turn signal light for 95 southbound traffic turning left (east) on Main St.
Look at the left green light, it has a left turn arrow below it, not lighted in the picture.  That would be for a protected left turn onto Main St.

Look at the left green light, it has a left turn arrow below it, not lighted in the picture.

Ned, yes, that does kind of indicate a left turn lane doesn't it?  :eek:  But the left turn arrow is in the same lane as the light for the lane that goes straight ahead; not that each lane has to have its own light (as is done in more upscale areas).

Besides the arrow confusion, there still seems to be an inconsistency in the southbound markings leading into this intersection.  Like the two solid and dashed yellow lines on either side of the left turn lane.  I guess I don't understand the exact purpose of these lines.  I think I prefer the solid white line on the south side of the intersection for northbound traffic turning west on Main Street.  I wonder why they didn't do it like that on the north side of the intersection?  Could it be because they wanted to add the arrow for northbound traffic to turn left on the next east-west street north of Main Street?

>> Bob, I didn't know Quartzsite even had a paper!  I learn something every day.
====
Actually, it may be a part of the Blythe paper -- tho if I recall, there is small rag just for Qz.

>>  Therefore, a left turn is illegal for 95 southbound traffic turning east on Main Street. 
====
That sure would make it tougher to get on the 10 to Phoenix. Note the second pic I added to my original post, Rolf.

>> There is no fellow in the East bound turn lane because there is no eastbound turn lane, that fellow has to go straight ahead as indicated by the straight ahead arrow in his lane.  The solid yellow line also prevents him from crossing into your lane.
====
Guess I didn't explain that well enough. I was referring to the fellow in the left turn lane "on main wanting to go North on 95". If he has the right to make that  turn (and he does), and can occupy the same lane that I was in when I took the first picture -- well, that might lead to some road rage.

Note the third pic now in my original note. It shows that left turn lane on Main Street -- and now far back they place the left turn arrow.

It would seem to me that a left turn arrow would help if placed closer to the intersection (as are the adjacent arrows). And then move the arrow pointing West even farther back to indicate one can turn left from the center lane once they get past the intersection.

But then, as  you write, the solid line prevents him from getting into the center lane anyway.

That sure would make it tougher to get on the 10 to Phoenix

Not really, you can get on 10 going east on Kuehn Avenue.  In fact, that's the way I normally go.

It would seem to me that a left turn arrow would help if placed closer to the intersection (as are the adjacent arrows). And then move the arrow pointing West even farther back to indicate one can turn left from the center lane once they get past the intersection.

But then, as  you write, the solid line prevents him from getting into the center lane anyway.

I agree, placing arrows there and moving the arrow as you said would make more sense.  But you know, I see a lot of places here in Mesa where a lane is 'shared' like that one, i.e., it is used to make left turns by vehicles coming in opposite directions.  Maybe it's an Arizona thing, I don't know, but it can result in head-on collisions.

Maybe what Quartzsite needs in that intersection is a Roundabout.  Do you know what a Roundabout is?  It's a traffic intersections where you only make right turns, no vehicles entering the intersection make left turns.  They started putting them in Minnesota a few years ago.  They're really quite confusing at first, but they kind of make sense for cars only, but could really be a nightmare at busy intersections for longer vehicles like semis and motorhomes.  It works like this: you enter the Roundabout by turning right and going around in the inside lane of a circle until you see where you want to exit and then you move to the outermost lane of the circle and you exit by making a right turn.  The trouble with it is that it's hard to stay in your lane going around a tight circle if you have a long vehicle.

On second thought, with all the motorhomes and RVs in Quartzsite, maybe it's not such a good idea.  :p

Rolf,

With all that traffic, maybe they should have something like the 'magic roundabout' reported here with photos by Paul, our resident UK big rig truck driver. 5 mini roundabouts act as on/off ramps to one large one. Of course, they'd need to reverse the rotational direction  ;D

More on the magic roundabout in this wiki.

Tom,

A little research has shown that Roundabouts are not appropriate everywhere. Intersections that may not be good candidates include those with highly unbalanced traffic flows (that is, very high traffic volumes on the busy street and very light traffic on the side streets), and isolated intersections in a network of traffic signals.  I think both 95 and Main Street in Quartzsite are pretty balanced traffic flows and aren't isolated so maybe this intersection would be a good candidate for a Roundabout.  It certainly is a big enough intersection so the lanes could be made wide enough to accompany long vehicles like RVs.  'Magic Roundabouts' seem to be best used when there are more than four streets entering the intersection.

A study of three locations in New Hampshire, New York, and Washington, where roundabouts replaced traffic signals or stop signs, found an 89 percent average reduction in vehicle delays and a 56 percent average reduction in vehicle stops.?  That seems significant enough.

?Retting, R.A.; Mandavilli, S.; Russell, E.R.; and McCartt, A.T. 2006. Roundabouts, traffic flow and public opinion. Traffic Engineering and Control 47:268-72.

Rolf, that suggestion was tongue in cheek; Personally, I think one or more roundabouts would be a disaster with all the RVs that go there.

Roundabouts were quite common, even on major highways, when I lived in the UK. Used to negotiate them at 70 mph, and was quite adept at being in the correct lane to make my exit. Over the years, traffic increased to the point that roundabouts, as designed, couldn't handle the traffic, and some in my old stomping grounds had traffic lights installed at entry points; Defeated the who concept.

A few weeks ago Chris happened to be talking with her Dad on the phone and he mentioned how complex some of those roundabouts have become to negotiate. The 'magic roundabout' is but one design to help the on/off flow, and there are other equally dumb ideas that were put into practice. I subsequently spent an evening on Google Earth looking at roundabouts in the old country, and couldn't stop shaking my head.

This photo shows the two arrows in one lane. And it shows the location of the arrows nearer to the intersection.
Pretty curious; I wouldn't know what to do... Lift the car, rotate it 180? and enter the intersection reverse?  ;D

Attachments

• qz-arrow.jpg
    qz-arrow.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 19
The opposing arrows are 'normal' for a center lane, with solid and broken yellow lines on each side, that allows turns in either direction. But having that one arrow so close to the intersection is pretty dumb. Was this intersection modified after the lane markings?

Back
Top Bottom