Basement Lock Actuator Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolo

One of my basement locks quit working with the electronic fob.  I pulled it off and looked up the Winnebago part number and was ready to go to Lichtsinn Parts to order one.  First I looked for one on EBay and found something that looked like it would work.  It cost $4.99 for two and the shipping was $5.00.  So for 10 bucks I have two.  It came in the mail today and is an exact fit for the actuator.  I'm sure that the Winnebago part would have been $25 to 30 each.

Any way, it worked for me.  Something to remember.

Well Harry the link to the listing is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-PAIR-OF-POWER-DOOR-LOCK-ACTUATORS-2-WIRE-STYLE-NEW_W0QQitemZ220548488133QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3359b6dbc5.  I just searched on lock actuators and found these and looked at the pictures and thought that it looked right and what could I loose except $9.05.(I went back and saw that it was $4.99 and $4.06 shipping.  The guy selling has sets of 2, 4, 6, 10 etc and they come with hardware to add lock actuators to cars without power locks.

I guess sometimes I try to make things more difficult than what they are. ;D

I might order a set as well to add to the various spare parts I carry. Like you said what is there to loose and we have plenty of these things on our model coach. Thanks again for the tip Bill.

Warning to all.  If you haven't bought the actuators... DON'T.  I went to install today and the throw of the new actuator is 5/8".  The Winnebago one has a 7/8' throw.  The shorter throw will not open the lock.  I found out the hard way by slamming the door and then found that I couldn't unlock with the electronics or the key.  Had to open the locks by laying on my back with a long knife handle.  So I will probably go to Winnebago parts to buy the real McCoy.  If you bought one already.  I'm sorry for the bad info.
Bill Bell

Bago said:
Warning to all.  If you haven't bought the actuators... DON'T.  I went to install today and the throw of the new actuator is 5/8".  The Winnebago one has a 7/8' throw.  The shorter throw will not open the lock.  I found out the hard way by slamming the door and then found that I couldn't unlock with the electronics or the key.  Had to open the locks by laying on my back with a long knife handle.  So I will probably go to Winnebago parts to buy the real McCoy.  If you bought one already.  I'm sorry for the bad info.
Bill Bell

You got me thinking about adding power locks to the new unit I'm getting since it's does not have them and the old one does.  Just wondering if your tried call calling any other place such as http://www.1aauto.com/1A/DoorLockActuators
they seem to have many different actuators and may have the length you need. 

On a related question I'm thinking of adding a remote key pad outside  in addition to the remote I already have, I found any aftermarket for $149.00 did you figure out which type of system the Winnie has (Positive, negative or reversal) I'm away from the unit for another month so I can't test it.

Thanks
Dave

Bill, is there any way you could rig a small bell-crank (no pun intended) between the actuator and the latch to give you the extra 1/4" throw required?  It wouldn't take much offset of the pivot point to gain the extra travel.  My coach has manual latches and it's all "inside the door", but yours is obviously different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom