mitchell truck camper remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

railroader

i bought a Mitchell camper real cheap the out side looks good shape. but the wife wants me to remodel it, has no ac and it does have a toilet. no shower. just asking what should i start with first. we decided since i restored 1978 powerwagon. i can restore truck camper. any help would be appreciated.

Check out your electrical, plumbing and LPG systems. If you want to add an air conditioner, you'll have to check your wiring. Those oldpower wagons are tough as nails.

Good Luck with the remodel.  Just make sure it's not too heavy for your truck. 

I had a camper remodel job I helped perform back in the 1960's that's pretty humorous when I look back on it.  I had a part time job working for the University while going to college at Oklahoma State.  The Forestry Dept. had a new Dodge half ton truck.  One of the Profs found an old army surplus cab-over camper and wanted me to fix it up so he could haul a group of students on a trip to Virginia for a Forestry competition.  I got the water system and electrical system working and
properly tied it down on the truck.  The truck handled it pretty well without modifications, but that old camper was HEAVY!

When the time came for the trip, they loaded a group of students and all their stuff in the camper and took off.  They had a University credit card to use to buy gas.  The truck had about a 15 gallon fuel tank and got about 5 mpg hauling that camper!!!!  They drove straight through to Virginia, but all they did was look for gas stations and stop to buy gas.  They said they didn't think they were ever going to get there!!!!!!! Then after staying three days, they had to do it all over again on the way home.  A trip to remember for a group of students and one tired Professor.

We just got our 1975 / 1976 Mitchell Truck Camper today! (I will double check the year tomorrow on the plate). Its got a strange smell like something died, coming from the oven.  So tomorrow we will tear that out and see whats lurking behind!

Attachments

• mitchel_camper.jpg
    mitchel_camper.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom