Americas Cup - Returns to America!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Boy have I been out of the Sailing world loop.  Didn't even realize it was going on this year.  Cup is coming back to our shores, right now it appears as though San Francisco will host, but also looks like San Diego and Newport, RI are in the running.

Back before Dennis Connor took a fall in race 7, (I'll never be convinced otherwise), I was up close with the cup.  From sailing around Newport Harbor and seeing the boats coming in after practice, to wandering on shore watching work being done.  The boats were stored at a marina 5 minutes from my office over the winter season.  My Mom bought a sewing machine from the France syndicate after one race season was over.  Actually called starboard on France III and they tacked for me.  (That was fun!)

So, over the next few months I would guess that the cities being considered will be mounting their campaigns.  I would love to see it go back to RI.  However, the infrastructure, the taken over boat yards and such might be hard to get ready.  They take over an amazing amount of waterfront to do this thing.

Technically, the winner was a 114' ultralight trimaran with a wing sail 20 stories tall.

The AC stopped being interesting when they stopped sailing 12 meters.

I second that Ned, living on my sail boat, summers, in Marblehead. Watching Ted Hood sail Robin through the mooring area the huge sail area and tied up next to Courageous. All memories of a grand tradition now lost. Actually one summer the USS Constitution sailed to Marblehead. Lying in my bunk looking a the great ship all lite up in a calm night and morning and wondering what life was like when she was a battleship, and the pride of the fleet. O'yester year. But if they do return I suppose I will be poking my head in the yards and watching the crew train.
Jim

I preferred the 12's too.  All those years being in Newport was a blast.  Seeing Ted Turner on the street, Ted Hood etc.  The bif ri's etc, probably pretty exciting to see go by at 33 knots, but the elegance of the 12's i just not there.

Back
Top Bottom