Checking tire pressure on dual axle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LostVTer

Having trouble finding a way to add air to tire on the dual axle tires on the back of our Jamboree class C.  Can't fit the inflater in the tight spot.  Do we need a special adapter?  We were trying to do this as a service station and it just wouldn't work.  Any suggestions for us?

Not sure of the configuration of the "inflator" at the service station, but to air up most dual wheel setups, one needs an air chuck that has both a forward-facing and a rearward-facing air chuck.  There are adapters out there also which consist of a length of braided stainless steel hose and a fitting that will screw on the existing valve stem and extend/turn it to a point where you can reach it with a single-ended air chuck.  This URL depicts the dual-sided inflators I am talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-MP3231-Dual-Chuck/dp/B000BOA0HI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1266268890&sr=8-10

Inside or outside dual?  There are several solutions, depending on which tire you're having the problem with.

One of the first things I did to my new Class A was have extended valve stems put on the rears. It makes checking air pressures easy. Worth the $200 to have them installed.

Definately recommend the extenders similiar to these http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/dual-tire-inflators-wheel-cover-mount/1832.

$50 and approx. an hour to install and saves allot of cursing on a reoccurring basis down the road.  ;D

Will look in to those......I also found at the America's Tire Store will check your pressure and fill your tires for free.  Just pulled up around the back and they took care of it. 

It woudl be much easier if my hands were not xxl (or is it xxxl) but I am able to inflate mine using a straight chuck.. Just, barely.. (I plan on doing something about that when I need to replace the tires but frankly can't afford to do that just now)

Extension lines are a good option, And I may use them, however the problem with them is that they are a very common source of leaks in tires.. This concerns me.

I do find the "Trucker" Type inflators and tire guages work very well for the outer dual.. However I"m having a bit of a time with the inner dual.. On that one I take a rod and using both hands position the guage/inflator with one hand and use the other to press on the chuck NOT in use to take the reading.  That way it presses squarely onto the stem... But a larger hole in the rim.. Would be very very nice.

One option I own but have not yet attached.. Mostly because I can not, personally, do it (Hands too big) is the Crossfire tire pressure equalizer..  This system consists of two extension hoses and a "Magic Eye" type pressure guage.. I hook one hose to each tire and so long as the pressure is more than, about 70% of the "Set point" (70 PSI or 75 PSI in the case of the units I have) the pressure in the two tires is equalized.. There is also a very easy to access fill port.

Should a tire blow and the pressure drop BELOW the low-pressure limit.. The unit will close off the blown tire.

NOTE: if you add something like a dorian pressure pro to these (They come with an optional second fill/read port) The pressure pro senders may not fit on the 2nd port though, but read on)

Then one sensor can read both tires.. Here is how it works

Assuming the main port is the outer dual

Assumption2: The proper pressure is 100 PSI

Tire pressure 80PSI or up.. The pressure reading is the pressure in the tires

Tire pressure 70.. Inner dual blown
Tire pressure zero The outer dual is blown

Very fast and easy.  use the 2nd port to inflate the tires so long as you have at least the minimum pressure on the outer dual.

Back
Top Bottom