First Trip Out!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon Groff

On Friday, we took our brand new Tiffin 35QBA from the dealer's lot in West Chester, PA up to our daughter's house in Williamsport PA for the weekend as a shakedown cruise.  It drove well - not nearly as good as a air-ride chassis diesel pusher, but pretty good, nonetheless.  Good enough for the $$ IMO.  We spent the night in it and LOVE it!  The grandkids went nuts.  It was a lot of fun.  Put together a punch list of some minor things and returned it to the dealer. 

Had a significant, self-inflicted issue, though.  The full length SAD story is below - copied from a letter I wrote to the dealer.  Yes, I am an IDIOT!!  :eek:  Enjoy!:

I feel terrible over the trouble I caused Saturday by my self-inflicted problems.  Ken went over and above trying to help me over the phone.  Even Abe tried to help over the phone on his own time.  Once again, kudos to those individuals for their customer-oriented professionalism and warm friendliness.

The rest is my long, sad story of shooting myself in the foot and then watching a slow-motion train wreck:

We had a very interesting trip up to Williamsport this weekend!  I learned a lot.  The hard way!  Thankfully, no permanent damage was done, other than to my self-confidence.

When I tried to demonstrate how the front seats rotate, the driver?s seat kept hanging up, apparently on the steering wheel.  Kept trying, then the lights dimmed briefly and the electric seat would no longer work.  Gave up on rotating it.  I figured a fuse blew somewhere.  Spent a LONG time trying to figure out which fuse powers that seat.  Still don?t know.  Pulled fuses out one at a time to check the elements ? before I spoke with Abe and started checking them with continuity on their top posts.  Did not find any bad fuses.  Almost gave up on the seat repair, but finally got under it to trace the wire.  Bingo ? found a kink in the red power wire under the seat!  It had been hung up on the back end of the frame rail and got pinched when we tried to rotate the seat.  Bending it and pushing it together restored seat function.  I cut it at the pinch, wire-nutted it, and got it working again!  Felt real proud of myself.

Pulled the slides in and piled our families into the coach to take them to a museum.  Went to hit the jack retract, and the HWH panel was DEAD.  Totally.  Engine on and engine off.  Could not retract the jacks.    Sent the family back inside.  Started checking EVERY fuse again, and again.  And again.  No bad ones.  Could not find any documentation on HWH or where it got it?s power feed.  Started to panic.  Called everyone I could think of?..  No local RV dealers had any service Saturday.  AAA and Coach Net were no help.  Abe tried to coach me over the phone.  I knew there had to be some manual hydraulic release somewhere, but there were no t-handle valves anywhere.  Got on the internet for HWH and could not find this exact system, but found one that had a manifold that looked like ours and it had a ?? nut on a threaded stem sticking out the back of each solenoid valve bodies that is the release.  A ?? nut driver worked well and we got all 4 jacks retracted. 

Yay!  I can at least drive the unit back to the dealer for repair now!  Or, can I?  Wait! There?s More?.

I had to extend the driver side front slide to get to the HWH hydraulics.  Went to retract the slides again and NOTHING!  Now THEY had quit working!  All of them.

Figured it was a BAD idea to go down the highway with the slides out??

Once again ?checked all breakers, fuses, etc.  Started trying to figure out how to manually retract them.  Gave up.  Still don?t know how.

Threw my hands up and figured we were stranded for a few days until someone who knows something can rescue us?.

Did you even have an ?A ha!? moment after a series of seemingly unrelated frantic failures?  Well, I thought about the sequence of events and considered the possibility that I had put a fuse back in the wrong slot while trying to trace the driver seat power issue.  Yep.  What an IDIOT!  I had put a fuse into a ?spare? slot instead of where it had come out of.  Moved the fuse.  Everything started working correctly again.  Never did make the museum trip.

This was our first day away from home in our new Tiffin.  Leaned a few things:

1. When something seems suddenly all wrong and makes no sense, it?s probably operator error.
2. I know now how to manually retract the latest versions HWH levelers.
3. Just so everyone knows, the plastic vent cap on the hydraulic reservoir has a ?? nut drive molded in its top so they kept the ?no tools retractable? feature.  IF you know it?s molded into the cap and IF you know what to turn to release it.
4. The slides are interlocked somehow with the HWH system so that they worked fine even when HWH had no power, but later, when the jacks were manually retracted, they quit working.  There must be some interlock that confirms they are in the last position that the HWH had power and when I manually lowered them, it locked out the slides.  I still don?t really understand how an interlock can change state with no power, but they would not move no matter what I tried until I restored the fuse to the HWH and extended the jacks.

I?m disappointed that there was no HWH or slide information in the HUGE satchel of mfg lit that came with the unit.  I had pounds of paper and spare parts for all the TV?s, vacuum, fridge, microwave, etc, but nothing on these major systems.  Thank goodness the ?Ford Owner?s Guide to Motorhome Class A Chassis? booklet had a fusing layout that showed #38 to be ?Body Builder Run Feed?.  Why couldn?t Tiffin have a listing of what devices go to these fuses?  Example: ?#38 ? HWH levelers? There is NO cross reference I?ve found that shows what?s connected to the fuses on the Ford fuse block under dash up front.  That?s my only real complaint.  That and the lack of ANY mfg literature for the HWH or the slides.  Big omissions, IMO.

The GOOD news is that we did not go to the expense of getting a tech up to Williamsport to find that the IDIOT OWNER had misplaced a fuse!

All is well.  We LOVE the coach.

A BIG, heartfelt ?Thank You? to everyone at Stoltzfus and Tiffin for providing a unit that is ?over the top? in quality, features, and value.

Gordon Groff

Hi Gordon,

I loved reading of your adventure; seems we all have one at one time or another.  I have a thought on the slides not working. 

You mentioned turning the engine on and off to get the HWH jacks to retract.  We have an 03 Allegro Bus DP and if I am remembering this correctly, you can not operate the slide with the engine on.  There is a protection "by pass" that will not let you put the slide in or out. 

We had this happen once.  We turned the engine on in order to get the mileage reading after we had extended the slide and had set up camp.  When we were ready to leave several days later, and I tried to retract the slide,....nothing happened.  Thinking we had a problem, my husband got out the voltage reader and found that there was voltage to the solenoid for the slide to extend; but no voltage after it.  We went in, turned the key to "engine on" then back off and tried the slide.  Voila` it worked.

It was almost like it had gotten out of it's "Locked/unlocked" sequence.

Call Tiffin and ask for those missing manuals.  :)

Marsha~

Thanks Marsha.  I tried the slides with all combinations of engine running, key position, etc.  Finally started working when I got the HWH power back.  I've also been reading the Tiffin manual and find it is not current to our Allegro.  For instance, the jacks extend with the engine running, but according to the manual, they should not, only on accessory.  Same with slides.  I like to do these with engine running to support the current draw, so that's a good thing.  No big deal.  Learning my rig is an adventure!  I do think I'm going to call for the HWH manual and anything they may have on the slides as well. 

Gordon

Gordon,
Glad to hear you survived your first adventure - hope the next one goes more smoothly!

It is a shame that the tons of manuals provided seldom have anything useful for the owner, especially about emergency procedures and troubleshooting.

Does Tiffin have a 24 Hr tech line? If so that the place to call in this type of situation. Monaco had this (not sure now) and I used it on a Sunday night when I lost all 12 volt power. Call an answering service and I got a call back in 10 minutes. Easy fix if you know where to look and what to do.

ken

Don't know of one... yet.  I tried their main number and only got a message.  Turns out that I'll be getting Coach Net as part of the deal, but since we just took ownership Friday the warrenty card being sent by our dealer had not gone through yet.  That's what triggers the Coach Net registration and I assume a lot of info will follow after we get officially recogonized as owners.

No Problem!  I actually value the learning experience and no harm was done to anything other then my self-confidence!  Won't take long to get that back, either.  ;D

Gordon

Sounds like you are enjoying the RV lifestyle already. Congrats!

CoachNet will be sending you info in the mail in a few weeks. Meanwhile don't be afraid to call them if you have any other problems. Their technical advisors are great.

One of the fun experiences was parallel-parking this rig on our front curb between a huge snow pile to the rear and the neighbor's cars in the front.  I did not have the nerve to leave it there so it was only there from 11:30 at night till 8:00 the next morning - moved it to Wallmart so we could get out of our own driveway to get to church.

Check out the mailbox! :)

Attachments

• 2-14 Park Job2 small.jpg
    2-14 Park Job2 small.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 53
Well, like you said Gordon, no damage done.  Just think though, now when someone else posts about not knowing how to operate their new Tiffin MH jacks, you will be the expert! 

Dar said:
Mailbox for the Moho? You fulltiming?  ;D

Not in the cards for us!  My wife is a pianist and I have not found any way to fit a full size grand piano in a MH.  ;D  That's another reason we opted for a gas chassis.  :'(  Hard to justify the expense when you've got to maintain a stick home as well.  We'll only be doing mostly weekends with an occaisional longer jaunt for a few more years until I can leave my day job behind.  Far behind!!

Gordon

Glad to hear that things worked out for you.  Your experience is not only a learning experience for you, but also a learning experience for a lot of forum members.  We will be counting on you to assist in the future! :)

. . . there are some fantastic electronic pianos out there --partially due to all the new church plants. Liz full-times with her keyboard. ::)

For under $500 you can buy a killer electronic keyboard that will duplicate the sound of a grand piano perfectly. All you need is headphones. And it will do a many things a grand piano won't do.

We've played a bunch and have heard a bunch.  We currently have 2 keyboards here.  One a full blown Kurz synth and one dedicated "piano" keyboard.  Both weighted keys with good action.  Trust me, there is NO comparison to the sound you get from a grand in your living room and any electronic keyboard, including those with fake wood bodies that make them look like a baby grand.

Hey, I guess I AM a snob!  LOL

We like our home and don't owe anything on it.  Not fancy, but have been here for over 30 years.  Full timing it is not an option for us.  That really affects the economies of this venture!  It's ALL good, though!!

Gordon

Gordon

Gordon Groff said:
Trust me, there is NO comparison to the sound you get from a grand in your living room and any electronic keyboard...

Modern keyboards are sampled from real grand pianos and with a great set of headphones on I can't tell the difference. And I have been playing for 50 years. I guess I am just deaf.

seilerbird said:
Modern keyboards are sampled from real grand pianos and with a great set of headphones on I can't tell the difference. And I have been playing for 50 years. I guess I am just deaf.

No, you're not deaf at all!  You're right-on about the sampling and with the earphone qualifier, they can get pretty darn good and be virtually indistinguishable.  The resonanances of a live sound through the soundboard and the room are just really hard for speakers to reproduce.  I can't play, but really enjoy the sound filling the house when my wife does.  Maybe we can have a jam when we meet on the road?  I know we'll be takiing our lighter board with us!

Gordon

A jam sounds good to me. I have an electric guitar and a battery operated amplifier to keep me sane.

A story. . .

In September, as I was driving my bishop to our house where Bev lay dying, framily members Liz Pearce had set up her keyboard near her playing favorite hymns softly with husband Jack and Jayne Murray along with three of her five sons and spouses gathered with her and her hospice nurse and our ever faithful Valerie.

Liz often plays elsewhere with her keyboard at RV campground gatherings for sing alongs, pot lucks and pickup choirs for holidays.

If sweet Nancy has a keyboard she likes available to her she'll leave moments of music never to be forgotten. . . . .until the last musician comes Home.

Bob Maxwell said:
A story. . .

In September, as I was driving my bishop to our house where Bev lay dying, framily members Liz Pearce had set up her keyboard near her playing favorite hymns softly with husband Jack and Jayne Murray along with three of her five sons and spouses gathered with her and her hospice nurse and our ever faithful Valerie.

Liz often plays elsewhere with her keyboard at RV campground gatherings for sing alongs, pot lucks and pickup choirs for holidays.

If sweet Nancy has a keyboard she likes available to her she'll leave moments of music never to be forgotten. . . . .until the last musician comes Home.

Thanks for the story!  I built a recording studio around our piano in our house and we've produced 8 CD's of Sweet Nancy's (www.sweetnancy.com) piano playing.  One of them, "Floating" was playing softly non-stop for my Mom as she was ending her years here too...  You're right, music can be such a comfort at times like those.  On a positive note - Sold a bunch of them to the Hospice and Funeral director folks!  :D

Gordon

Back
Top Bottom