Why buy a truck camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jammer

Well we have a thread every month on why to buy a MH instead of a 5er or a 5er instead of a TT or a Ford instead of a Chevy.  So why not have a thread espousing the manifold benefits of the truck camper.  I'll start.

1.  All-road and off-road capability.  A truck camper on a 4x4 is impossible to beat if you are camping where ground clearance and traction are a big deal.

2.  Practicality in the city.  Like the increasingly rare class B, smaller truck campers that don't extend beyond the width and length of the truck carrying them can be maneuvered and parked almost anywhere.

3.  Stealth.  If you are visiting your inlaws and parked in the driveway you're much less likely to attract attention of the RV haters in the city gov't than you would with, say, a Prevost.

4.  Ability to launch a boat.  If you like to fish this is really the only way to pull a comfortably sized boat with you and launch it.  Class Bs don't have the traction and the As and Cs are, generally, too clumsy

5.  No registration or insurance.  In most cases though some people might choose to insure the camper itself.

6.  Many of the benefits of a TT.  You can upgrade the TV, have the TV repaired while living in the camper, change tires yourself, use the TV to haul drywall for the basement project, etc.

Good topic.

For me, the ability to visit remote mountain lakes and streams, with or without a boat, would be a real reason to buy a truck camper. If I could have got my other half to agree, I'd have bought one years ago.

[quote author=Jammer]Ability to launch a boat.  If you like to fish this is really the only way to pull a comfortably sized boat with you and launch it.  Class Bs don't have the traction and the As and Cs are, generally, too clumsy[/quote]

Not quite. We towed a 20 foot boat behind a 29 foot class A for many years. Went all over California and launched/retrieved at countless boat ramps.

Tom, Do you feel that it was any harder launching with the motor home then with a truck?We have a Jeep that I want to sell because I feel nervous about launching with our motor home, My husband wants to keep his jeep. Thanks

Tom said:
Good topic.

For me, the ability to visit remote mountain lakes and streams, with or without a boat, would be a real reason to buy a truck camper. If I could have got my other half to agree, I'd have bought one years ago.

Not quite. We towed a 20 foot boat behind a 29 foot class A for many years. Went all over California and launched/retrieved at countless boat ramps.

They pave the boat ramps there, don't they?

[quote author=brens]Do you feel that it was any harder launching with the motor home then with a truck?[/quote]

I found it much easier to launch with the motorhome than with our short wheelbase Bronco. The long overhang behind the rear wheels of the motorhome made it really easy to control the trailer. I'd launch the boat on ramps that some folks thought were impossible; I've even had an audience from a nearby campground watching and clapping.

When we got home, I'd unhook the boat trailer from the motorhome and hook it up to the Bronco to pop it in the side yard. To see me trying to get in the side yard with the Bronco, you'd think I'd never reversed a trailer before.

[quote author=Jammer]They pave the boat ramps there, don't they?[/quote]

Some, but not all. If someone was really concerned about burying the rear wheels in mud, I'd suggest mounting a front hitch on the motorhome, although I never felt the need to do that.

Jammer said:
They pave the boat ramps there, don't they?

Not only can they get muddy, but ramps on tidal waters and at reserviors recently drawn down can get slimy.  I have seen tow vehicles spinning sideways on wet slime.

I would think the truck camper's endurance is pretty limited by small tank sizes, if nothing else. Also, some of the designs look top-heavy or have too much weight behind the truck's rear axle, or both. I haven't owned one, though.

Speaking from experience...  I have had 4 disserent truck campers, 2 different trucks.  Launced boats, pulled enclosed trailers, boondocked, hooked up at full hookups.  From a pretty basic one to a dry bath with gen, sat and HDTV, plus mega solar power.

Really a neat way of RV-ing, but mainly for short term.  Longest time we spent in ours was 2 weeks.  Could have easily gone longer, but I wouldn't want to spnd a summer in Yellowstone in one.  Too confining. 

As to tanks, yeah, for boondocking, you need to do things a little different.  strict budget on water etc.  However, we were usually within an area we could dump and replenish. 

If I had unlimited time, money and space and only 2 choices in RV's One would be a TC.  Also a great choice for an AK trip.

Pierat said:
I would think the truck camper's endurance is pretty limited by small tank sizes, if nothing else. Also, some of the designs look top-heavy or have too much weight behind the truck's rear axle, or both. I haven't owned one, though.

When I had a pickup with a camper on it I put 2 aux fuel tanks on it. With the stock tank plus the aux tanks I had a total of 90 gallons.

Google "auxiliary pickup fuel tank" and you'll get lots of options. I think I got mine from Transfer Flow.

AK, I am pretty sure the post was regarding to the 3 water tanks.  I had a 30 gal fresh,I think a 15 B and 20 G on mine.  My truck had 38 gal fuel.  Besides adding all the aux fuel tanks just subtracts from weight capacity.

We had a TC for over 10 years and I loved the thing.  We went everywhere with it and pulled horse trailers into some beautiful spots to camp.  I loved the freedom of it; but didn't like having to break camp if we were in a "full hookup" situation and needed to go into town.  Yes the tanks were small; but workable.  I think ours had a 30 gallon fresh water, 20 gallon grey and 15 black.  Of course when you camp out in the boonies, you use the campground facilities; or the trees and/or big bushes.  ::)

I also spent a great deal of time researching things regarding TCs such as: center of balance, weight, tank capacity sizes, dual or single axle truck and overhang lengths.  The only thing I really didn't like was putting it on and off the truck with the hydraulic jacks, that was a bit nerve wracking.

We gave the TC to our kids and each time I climb into it; I get a bit nostalgic.  It's a 93 and everything still works.  The only thing we had to do was replace a water pump.  It was a Caribou made by Fleetwood.

Marsha~

We bought our first camper, a 12.5ft cab over fully equipped TC that had already been to Alaska from Texas three times before we got it, in 1983.  With three daughters under 6 years old, it was great!  I mounted it to a 1978 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 3/4+ ton w/camper mounting package and proceeded to take it camping spots in Colorado that trailers have trouble going!  The kids could ride in the back seat or climb directly into the camper through the rear window when nature called while not having to pull over. I would love to have a similar rig again but my wife is not into TC's anymore.  She thinks she needs the room of a hybrid trailer with a slide out and digital entertainment system :)  Got to admit that it is a very comfortable compromise and the gas mileage is about the same! 

Why a Truck Camper?  It's just the 2 of us (hubby and I) and we love boating and camping, but the TENT thing was getting way OLD!  So, I can still camp (with a/c and most of the comforts of home) . . . I can go most anywhere I want to . . . I can take the boat . . . and I can either leave the camper on the truck or take it off and use the p/u for exploring (without tearing down camp).

Happy and safe camping!

I was going to buy a truck camper until I realized I am not a sardine.

Tom
For you it would actually be a pretty good rig, just you and Tarzan.  Plus with it off truck you have a get around vehicle.  Last two we had both had slideouts, pretty roomy, about the same as a 22' class C.

PancakeBill said:
Tom
For you it would actually be a pretty good rig, just you and Tarzan.  Plus with it off truck you have a get around vehicle.  Last two we had both had slideouts, pretty roomy, about the same as a 22' class C.
No way could I live in a truck camper. This 27 footer is even a bit too small for me. I would like about two or three more feet in the bedroom so I could put in a queen sized bed. I spent too much time living in a van to ever be comfortable in a truck. I get around just fine in my motorhome. I got around just fine when I was getting around in a 39 footer. And I positively hate slide outs. When I finally do trade up it will be to something like a 90s class A about 30 feet long. It sure would be nice if one of the pieces of optional equipment were blonde.

seilerbird said:
And I positively hate slide outs. When I finally do trade up it will be to something like a 90s class A about 30 feet long. It sure would be nice if one of the pieces of optional equipment were blonde.
What are your biggest issues with slides?

Back
Top Bottom