Hosting at the Everglades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
A couple of days ago we drove to Everglades National Park to see if it would be a place that we might host next year.  The park has tow campgrounds.  Flaming campground is far enough away from town that shopping would be an all day trip, so we quickly discounted it.  Long Pine Key is a beautiful campground and is a place we would enjoy hosting. 

Long Pine Key has two host couples that rotate days off so that one week you are off three days and the next week four.  Responsibilities are light and entail checking to see that people have paid to camp, PR, and assisting campers. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately ? depending upon your prospective) hosts are given first opportunity to return before new applicants are considered.  The current hosts have been returning for many years and expect to continue. 

We had a nice outing anyway.  The best part was the trip back across Alligator Alley.  We saw quite a bit of wildlife and managed to shoot a few photos.

Attachments

• DSC_1506_a.jpg
    DSC_1506_a.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_1500_b.jpg
    DSC_1500_b.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_1486_a.jpg
    DSC_1486_a.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 55
Mike worked in Everglades NP at Shark Valley one winter. I worked at Biscayne NP. We enjoyed it. Best birding we've ever found. You might check on other volunteer positions at Everglades, many provide RV sites.

Wendy
Casa Grande, Arizona

Thanks for the suggestion Wendy.  I have sent an e-mail indicating that we have other interests too.

Awesome pictured. I hope you didn't try to get too close to those alligators

If I was interested in hosting I would take Flamingo in a heartbeat. Fantastic place. As Wendy said, fantastic birding.

Back
Top Bottom