taking a MH to get rear shocks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N2BOWLING

Hello Folks
Where would one take a Super "C" to get new rear end shocks or some type of suspension?? the reason I ask is I might be gettiing a '07 Jayco Seneca 35' GS and after reading some people reviews, some said that theirs rode great and some said they needed to ugrade the rear end....I'm just getting ready just incase it needs it,

Thanks, Jake

Hi Jake.

Just to get things rolling here, the first thing you need to do is find someone who can physically handle a large motorhome in their bays.  Many places can't or won't handle motorhomes so it sometimes takes some looking.  Remember that its weight and height are two factors in their ability to fit it into their service bays.

ArdraF

Ardra is right on.  I would probably look up and visit a Freightliner truck repair center and talk to the service manager.  He probably would be able to tell you if what you are considering is feasible.  If would give you a reference point to start from.

Sarge

You need a shop that can handle medium duty trucks, i.e. a truck suspension place. Most cities of 40,000+ will have at least one. A truck tire outlet might be able to handle it as well. Check the Yellow pages.

The Seneca is usually built on a Chevrolet Kodiak medium truck chassis, so a Chevy or GMC dealer who sells the larger trucks might also be able to handle it. Not just any Chevy dealer, though. Got to be one that advertises sales and service for the 4500 & 5500 class trucks.

Check and see if the unit has rear springs that are the 14,000 or 19000 springs....if it still has the 14,000 you will get a mushy ride. I haven't done it, but the guys who own the Senecas say it isn't difficult to replace the rear shocks...something they do themselves in about an hour.

Also, they recommend the KONI shocks.

Not sure where you are located. If you are in the northwest, most Les Schwab tire dealers can handle large vehicles. I would think most large tire dealers could do the shcoks on just about any motorhome. I've never been to a dealer or mechanic that put the rig on a lift (except Camping World). They always have done the work in an outside bay with heavy duty jacks and stands.

Jerry

You could also look for a large RV dealer that has it's own maintenance department. The dealer where I bought mine does all of their own work in a large 7 bay facility.

I know this is an old thread, but we just acquired a Four Winds Chateau 34H built on the Kodiak Chassis. I've seen references as I've read up online about the rear suspension often having the lighter load rating spring pack.

My question is, how do you tell which spring pack is currently installed on the vehicle? Is it as simple as counting the number of leaves? If so, how many are in each pack? Are they stamped or marked in some way?

Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom