Did I just get talked out of fulltiming? [Feedback wanted]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
8)  I don't think you can see all there is to see in this country if you travel 12 months of the year, there is always something to see that is different. For me I don't think you can live long enough to see "ALL" of the country!  I don't live in a BOX without windows!

Bob

I think your "friend" has got to get out more...  good luck with whatever choice you decide they are both fun and its great to explore the world but i think you will be suprised as to what you can find right here in your backyard. 

Lowell said:
Well, do the Pueblos of southwest look like the sky scrapers of New York to you? Do the Glaciers of the northwest look like the Everglades to you.  If they do, then I guess every 10 square miles are the same.  But if you are like me, the variation in scenery, cultures, and food across the country make each trip unique.

Best of luck in what you decide to do.
Lowell, thank you for that.  I saw the title thread and Thought, No way, Thats not true at all.
There are a million nooks  and crannies to this great country.
I am a newbie and I am planning to full time it.
Starting off on my own at age 52. 
I think it can take as long or as short as one likes.  IT is different for everyone.
Really look forward to reading all these topics! And appreciate the experience of all who are doing it!
Kim ;)
Edited to add... I read almost all of your replys, and I am happy to say I have found a terrific Community. 
I feel sorry for the original posters friend. 
I know this is something I will do, Sometimes change is scary, But whats scarier, waking up one day and realize your life is over and you never got out and did what you really wanted. 
Fantastic replys.  Hope its ok I jumped in on the conversation, It  is just what I need.  Kim

After 8 years of living on the road full time spending most of my time in National Parks, I don't feel like I have seen 1% of the county. I have been to 49 of the 50 states and everyone is a wonderful and completely different experience. I really feel sorry for the original poster's friend. What a horrible outlook on life.

RoadMack said:
Just got back from lunch with a friend. During the conversation I told her about my plan to start full timing. She told me something I didn't think about, and it made a lot of sense. She said it would only take a month or two to explore this entire country, then what?

She said if you look at America today, it's 10 square miles. We live our lives within those 10 square miles becuase it has everything we need. In that 10 square miles you'll find:

25 Fast food resturaunts
10 Banks
3 shopping malls
10 grocery stores
3 home repair stores
10 churches
20 bars
20 gas stations

You get the idea. Now you take that same 10 square miles with a cookie cutter, multiply it 1,000 times, welcome to the USA.

You can change some of the scenery. Spend two weeks in the mountains, two weeks on the beach, two weeks on a river, two weeks in the desert, then what. You've basically seen it all. Then she said that you'll find some cultural differences, few different kinds of food, few different types of weather, but you really can sum up the US in this short analogy. I told her it was the cultural differences and the people of those cultures I was heading out to explore.

Then she hit me with this. http://www.eurail.com/  I haven't look at the details, but she said if I was going to be exploring cultures I should consider this. Basically for a few grand you can buy an unlimited ticket to 21 countries and really explore diverse cultures and see some history while you're at it. They even have sleeper cars. Spend the night sleeping while traveling,  wake up in a whole new culture and country the next day.

Why I posted this here? For those of you who full time, is she right or am I missing something here? I have to admit I fundamentally agree with what she wrote about the USA. That's the part where I was hoping maybe some of you could help me fill in the blanks. Do you get bored running around the US?

I understand the choice for fulltiming is as personal as trying to figure out what RV to buy. Just starting to have second thoughts about exploring America, because her description does fit, and make some sense. I'm just wondering if there's more to it than that.
If your even thinking this way.  Stay home and leave the wonderful sites for folks that don't analyze what there doing.  ;)

RoadMack said:
There's no way I'd take that lunch date with me. (I lost a bet with her, cost me lunch) Nice gal and all, but I thinks she's got tunnel vision and can't see the real picture. Glad I don't have that problem.

Your comments about business travel absolutely makes sense.  You go to those places that are familiar which are all over the country because you don?t have the time to sample the local flavor.  If you did (as you would traveling the country via RV), you?d find her comments way off the mark and out of touch. 

It?s interesting too, that when you buy a EuroPass and travel Europe, you are taking a vacation - taking time to see the sites and visit the people.  On a business trip, you are not.  There?s a basic difference there in what you set out to do which certainly influences your impressions - business vs.pleasure.

Could be too, that your friend is jealous of your plans and your sense of adventure.  Bet she?s pretty concrete and thinks ?stepping outside the box? means coming up with a different business plan...  ::)

Some people can look at a can of paint and see all sorts of possibilities.  Others just see a...  can of paint. 

My wife and I have been traveling to Florida for 35 years and we still see something we have never experienced before. When my wife and I were 20 years old we went from Pa. to California. I can tell you there is too much to see in one life time. I told a friend we use to go camping with about later we are going to sell everything and full time it. He told me no way can anyone do that and be happy. Two years ago he went to work and put in his retirement when and purchased a 5 th wheel and a truck. He has never been happier! It is what you make of it. Do not let one person with that outlook on life tell you anything. Please listen to what the full timers tell you and notice the joy in everything they write in the forums.

Interesting discussion.  We are just beginning our MH life and have NO plans to full time.  It just is not for us.  But it is perfect for many others.  Like everything else, to each there own.  I live in the "sticks" others question why I would not want to live in the city.  When we purchased the MH most friends were very positive while a few were "why would you want one of those".  We camped some in younger years with a popup and had a great time, we look forward to the weeks at a time adventures waiting for us.  But I still want to eventually return "Home".  Maybe after 5 or 6 weeks I will not want to but we will see in March.

Decide for yourself, don't let her rain on your parade.

Don't go asking your barber about brain surgery...... ::)

I know it's an old thread, but it is hitting home for us....we are young (well, she is..... ;)) and have heard some interesting commentary from the uninformed around us.

We must have some of the same friends, because I got the same comments from someone who doesn't travel or enjoy it at all.

I've learned to just smile and remind myself how good we have it!  8)

crackodawn said:
Every place in the USA has a unique culture, one must only be willing to open their eyes and ears to see and hear it.

21 days in the train can be fun and you'll "SEE" a lot of culture and "SEE" a lot of history.

In an RV you actually experience it. Quite a difference.

I think this is one of the most insiteful comments about what livin' the retired full timing life is all about that I have read. There's so many ways too full time that some fellers way don't necessarily fit anothers. Sound's to me like maybe someone wants to be a full timer which is different from being a full timer.

Interesting thread ...reminds me of a quote I saw years ago, "When looking out through the same bars, some see the mud, and some see the stars."  And I recall counseling with spouses who said they hated the foreign country their military member had been stationed in for the past three years, and then I found that they had not been off the military installation in the entire time they were there because they were "afraid" of what they would find outside the gates ...so they had never actually experienced the foreign country they "hated" ...they had experienced only another military base.

I have lived all over the US and in a few US territories and foreign countries in my life, and have traveled to around 40 states in our motorhome since retirement ...I have yet to "see it all" either in the US or abroad.  If your travel experience is only from airport to airport and motel to motel, I am not interested.  But in an RV, there is always something new around the next corner IF you are willing to see and to experience it.

Hi,
I'm not sure it applies in this case; you'll have to decide that, but over the years I've observed that many (most?) people have an unfortunate characteristic: to Put Others Down if they can't raise themselves up. This is the source of most prejudice, negative gossip, etc. etc.
We all have an ego and its so easy to become jealous of other's achievement's. From there its a small step to criticizing their accomplishments, aspirations, dreams, and even virtues.
Incidentally, not subscribing to the "Put Downs" of your social peers will quickly make you very unpopular!
JM2C
Ernie

Your friend hasn't sat outside watching the sun come up and smelled coffee and bacon cooking, with the birds chirping and various sounds that you cannot hear while sitting in the city.  There is so much that one does not see or hear for the smog and noise of cities.  The Smokie Mountains, the Washatch Mountains and the plains.  She can see them on TV but seeing them in person will stay with you for a lifetime.  Don't give up your dream from comments made by someone that has not tried it.  Granted it is not for everyone but you will never know until you try.

I have only been camping a few times and I know this is not a new post but I just had to add something.
  I have lived in Southeastern Virginia my entire life. I will be 54 this month. I still have not seen everything there is to see just in a 200-300 mile radius around me and I have spent days visiting places and didn't get to see all I wanted to see: For example Washington DC or the outer Banks of NC.
  Also, I never tire of my own backyard for long and it's great to me but it might not impress others much. I guess what I am saying is I agree with many who posted here. You have to look at your own view on life and what you want to do in it not only the  point of view of others. I also think some very good advice was given concerning doing long term test runs. I will keep that in mind if I ever consider doing fulltime.  ;)
  Hey and you can never run out of books to read:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom