RV Newbie - What's the best way to get Internet for RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are three major choices:

1. Cellular data service, which you can get via a suitable phone acting as a modem (called tethering) or via a dedicated cellular modem, sometimes erroneously called an "air card".

2. Satellite based data service

3. Wifi at campgrounds, motels, restaurants, etc.

Cellular costs $50-$60 month depending on the method chosen and the carrier.  If you choose the tethering method, it can be done on a day-by-day basis, while the dedicated modem method is on a monthly fee basis. Satellite is a bit more (I don't know the current figures) and wifi can be free or fee, depending on the location. Wifi is the least reliable method as afr as availability is concerned, but the price is right.

You will find numerous discussions about this if you search the forum messages for 'internet'. There are also articles in the Forum Library

Ned said:
Read this article in our library for a summary of the options available.

I would be interested to hear what recent Satellite experience people have.  I am hitting the road again in May and last year I found myself half the time in locations without wifi or cell phone coverage.  I have been googling around for recent sat hardware and more importantly plans.  Any input from anyone that implemented in the last 6-12 months?

Haven't heard about any satellite enhancements, but cellular coverage and speed gets better all the time. Add an external antenna or even an amp to a cellular modem and there should not be many places you have no service. Might have mediocre performance at times, but you should have service.

But basically, what is best for you depends on where you spend your time. If the cellular signal is nada but you have a good view of the southern sky, then satellite is the answer. But if you are under trees or in steep-walled valley, cellular may be a better solution.  Or use both - get satellite but also use a cell phone that has modem capability. That way you can activate the cellular when the satellite won't do the job.

In the 7+ years that we've had satellite internet, there have been very few times that we couldn't use it, including a trip to Alaska.  If you absolutely need internet everywhere, there is no other choice.  And, as Gary points out, a cell phone that supports tethering will cover those rare occasions where you can't see the satellite but have cell phone service.  Also, many RV parks have WiFi available, so it's very unlikely that you will be without some internet access anywhere if you have those options available.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom