Where do you buy butyl tape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RvFairyLady

Frustrated:  I've been to Wal-Mart, Harbor Freight, Autozone, and OSH. None of them had it. I can find it online but everywhere I find it they want to charge me more to ship it than it costs..., anyone know where I can buy this stuff? Our local RV shop closed.

Mobile home supply stores? Or a hardware store in an area where there are mobile homes?

Besides, "butyl tape" covers a lot of products - can you be a bit more specific about what you are seeking? Is it a window sealant tape? Gutter seal?  Could you use butyl caulk instead (Home Depot and Lowes has that)?

Or look here:
http://www.butyltape.org/

Yes, I'm looking for window sealant tape. Rain is coming and we were planning on fixing this today but I guess I'll have to wait and just cover it up.

I want to go play in my RV!  8)  Patience...,

After doing my "newbie" research it seemed that a lot of "pros" were recommending dicor butyl tape..., or any butyl tape.., swearing that it was better than "putty" tape or caulk. It looked easier to use to me.

If I can't figure it out tomorrow I'll just order it from Amazon and pay the shipping.., it's supposed to be a few days before the sun is out again anyway.

RvFairyLady said:
Frustrated:  I've been to Wal-Mart, Harbor Freight, Autozone, and OSH. None of them had it. I can find it online but everywhere I find it they want to charge me more to ship it than it costs..., anyone know where I can buy this stuff? Our local RV shop closed.

I hear ya.... I went through the same thing.  I bought butyl tape from Camping World last year called Kool Patch but CW doesn't sell it any more.  I looked all over locally but couldn't find it so I bought it online.  It's expensive but works great for patching a roof.  For your online shopping comparison, I paid $3.99 each for 42" rolls, I bought 3 rolls and paid $9.99 for shipping.  Maybe you can do better; I just got tired of looking. 

Here's where I got it:

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/kool-patch-patching-tape-13-0626.html

I gotta say, I love the stuff; put it on, I firm it down with a wallpaper seam roller, peel off the backing tape....done.  It's very similar or the same as Dicor tape.  I think if you cut it in half lengthwise it would work well for window sealing.  I'll be trying it that way on one of my windows soon.

Bob

When we recovered the RV roof we got our suppiles from TWEETYS.  They have several kinds of tape, tapes.  Order online or by phone.  People are helpful answering questions.

If it is roof patch you want for a rubber or metal roof, the Kool Seal patching product is carried by many hardware stores.

Or use Eternabond tape - one of the best there is.

We have no local RV center.., sad but true. We had a great one.., but after 25 or more years they were forced to close when the economy went sour.

We do have RV repair shops, and I was going to start calling them.

However, a coworker this morning told me that a used RV dealer, (who only carried RV's in the past), he is staring to carry a lot of supplies since our RV center went out of business a couple of years ago. I called him and he says he has it. 7.99 a 30ft roll. A little expensive.., but less than it would cost if I had to pay shipping so I think I finally found it..., and here comes the rain..., so it will have to wait a until the weekend.

RV Roamer: I have eternabond for my roof.., I used it to seal around vents and it worked great! I've ordered more to do the front and side seams before they become a problem. The butyl tape I wanted so we could re-seat and seal a side, rear window that is leaking.

Thank you all very much, I LOVE THIS SITE! I know this may sound a little childish.., but it's comforting that there are smart and experienced people here who don't seem to mind my newbie ignorance.  I really appreciate everyone's input! It has been extremely helpful and I feel our ship will be ready to sail soon.

I was able to find butyl tape at my local Menards in the building materials section. It was thin, so I had to double up on it but it was $4 for 50 feet and worked well.

Back
Top Bottom