110v Wall Sockets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mick & Pat

Our Fleetwood Discovery is fitted with numerous double 110v electric sockets, however a couple may appear and have a 'double' front plate when in fact a single socket has been installed.

Can some member please tell me the correct 'American' terminology for the part of the socket behind the white plastic front plate that you see?

I am in the process of having a dealer send me a couple of other items and would love him to obtain me a couple of double sockets or outlets and send them with the other items and would love to know the correct name and possibly a web site who sells such items with pictures so that I can show the dealer exactly what I require.

Thanks Mick

They're called 'duplex receptacles' Mick. See here. Less commonly known as 'double outlets', or even 'duplex outlets'. See here. They come in different colours, most commonly white, ivory or brown.

Be careful if replacing a single receptical with a duplex as often a single will be installed for a specific appliance that has a large amperage draw.

I have found that in most motorhomes the microwave, refrigerator and washer/dryer will have singles. This is so that you cannot overload the recepticle by plugging in something that would draw more amps than the circuit would normally allow.

Good catch Jerry, thanks. I was scratching my head, trying to figure out why Mick had those single receptacles in his coach.

Question:
Are you saying the outlet actually has two places to plug something in, but one is dead?  Or are you saying there is only one place to plug something in?

Tom,

Thanks for your reply. On visiting the two links you suggested  I immediately un-screwed the easiest double socket which is as you may see is upside down under a wall locker in one of our slide-outs.

Is it me or does that look slightly different to those in your links, there is a white cover that also clips over the front of this socket.

One location that has a single socket but double frontage is a small square open cabinet over the dining table where there is normally a Black & Decker coffee  maker.

Mick

Hi Mick. Yes, that is a little different, due apparently to the lack of a box that a 'normal' duplex would screw into. Yours has those two wings that hold the receptacle in the hole without needing a box. I vaguely recall buying and installing something similar in our coach when I needed an additional one in a spot that had limited depth. Can't recall where I bought it, but maybe I can find an equivalent.

Mick,

Here's the web site for a large manufacturer of electrical items:

http://www.leviton.com

You can browse their Products|Electrical|Residential|Home area.

Tom said:
Yours has those two wings that hold the receptacle in the hole without needing a box.
  A J-Box with that mounting would be called a "finished wall box" or "tiger grip box".
  I've found your style at a good RV supply outlet. 

In my experience, Typically RV manufacturers do not use boxes.  They also generally use the low type receptacles.  Replacing with a standard household one may or may not work doe to the thinner walls of an RV.  Generally when working on one I will also get a low height receptacle box to ensure that I actually have a secure place to screw into.

Also DO NOT use the push-in terminals on the replacement outlets if the ones you get have them. Use the screw terminals, wrap the wire clear around the screw, and get it good and snug.

I'm still in the process of replacing every outlet in my house that had those dumb push-in terminal type outlets that are an abomination and never should have been legal. Three outlets had their contacts corroded enough that they look copper instead of brass now. Very dangerous.

Guy's,

Here is a picture of the 'double' socket with the left side blanked out, the cable is currently powering my lap top and if possible the left side socket would allow the cupboard to be an illuminated display cupboard.

This was the cupboard with it's coffee maker.

This is the current display cupboard

Hope that clarifies a few things?

Mick

I have never seen an outlet like that and wonder if there are plastic blanks inside the holes (for safety reasons) that would move if a plug were installed.

[quote author=bigskymt]... and wonder if there are plastic blanks inside the holes (for safety reasons) that would move if a plug were installed.[/quote]

I recently stumbled across a multi-outlet extension with all the receptacles just as you describe. It was in the $5 bin at Ace Hardware. It wasn't entirely obvious and, when I got home, I initially thought I'd bought a box of blanks.

OTOH when we lived in the UK, all the receptacles (outlets) had moveable covers over the hot and neutral holes. The ground pin on their plug was longer and, when inserted, would open the covers on the other two. I suspect that, even if they've changed the design in the last 30 years, Mick would remember them.

I just bought a 2003 Wildwood 25' TT that has several of the outlets Mick is describing.  They look like a duplex outlet but one side looks like the slots were never cut out.  They are on the dedicated outlets for appliances. I wonder if they use something like that for ease of manufacturing.

I came across this source for those rather unique "self-contained" receptacles frequently used in RV construction. They are also handy for adding outlets to existing walls in house or RV. This type of receptacle integrates the box, outlet and faceplate in one unit and can be installed from the front rather than having to tear into the wall to mount it (still have to get the wire to it somehow, though). The usual home centers and hardware stores do not carry these because they are seldom used in residential construction.

Available in white, brown and ivory for $5.11 each

http://www.dyersonline.com/Products/Self-Contained-Receptacle__54720.aspx

Good find Gary. Since it Mick who was looking for them, I went ahead and merged your message into the prior topic.

Gary & All RVF members,

thanks for giving a 'name' to the item I wish to modify in my RV the BIG problem now is where to obtain a couple.

Gary, that last company you mention appear to only ship to US addresses.

I tried a 'search' on the UK eBay only to find American companies offering them with LARGE postal charges to the UK.

I have yet to contact a British dealer to ask if they have any Duplex Receptacles in stock, keep your fingers cross guys.  :)

Mick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom