cargo trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stray_bullet

Hi Everyone. Well i picked up my 06 Fleetwood Excursion last week and used it over the weekend. My first motorhome trip was a success!. However, being stranded without a vehicle isn't fun. So, I came home and ordered a enclosed cargo trailer. It is a 8 1/2 x 20' car hauler. My hitch and gvw support the load supposedly. My question is............... Why, does everyone haul there vehicles directly hooked up to the motorhome versus a enclosed trailer. Perhaps I didn't think it out well enough before my order. As you can tell, I have only pop-up camped about ten years ago, so I'm totally new to this whole motorhome experience.

Thanks,

Brad

Guess I will give some reasons and I'm sure others will add more.
1. Economy - the enclosed trailer will add an additional 1500-2000 lbs you will be towing equaling more fuel required to move down the road.
2. Convenience - Some places just don't have room for trailers or even tow dollies.  Have been in some parks that charge extra up to the cost of another site for somebody to park their trailers.
3.  It is a lot easier to just unhook the towbar than to unload the trailer which you may also have to unhook to get in a site.

When we first started we purchased a used tow dolly and learned a lot.  Lot easier to tow 4 down than to bother loading and unloading a tow dolly.

Be sure to get you rig weighed when loaded and inflate your tires accordingly per your tire manufacturers charts and make sure you do not exceed any of the weight limitations.

stray_bullet said:
Hi Everyone. Well i picked up my 06 Fleetwood Excursion last week and used it over the weekend. My first motorhome trip was a success!. However, being stranded without a vehicle isn't fun. So, I came home and ordered a enclosed cargo trailer. It is a 8 1/2 x 20' car hauler. My hitch and gvw support the load supposedly. My question is............... Why, does everyone haul there vehicles directly hooked up to the motorhome versus a enclosed trailer. Perhaps I didn't think it out well enough before my order. As you can tell, I have only pop-up camped about ten years ago, so I'm totally new to this whole motorhome experience.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad,

Two reasons I can think of right off the top of my head.

1. Added weight that you have to tow. Added weight = more fuel used to get from point A to point B.

2. Problem of what to do with the trailer when you get to your destination. Most campgrounds will not have room to store the trailer. In our trip this last summer I would say that at 95% of the campgrounds we stayed at I barely had room to park the toad let alone a trailer too.

Be sure to check the capacity of your tow bar. Many MHs only come with a 5000 lb tow bar.

I'm sure you'll get more reasons from others on the Forum.

Brad

We used to tow a car on an open trailer. As others have mentioned, you have a problem of what to do with the trailer when you get to a campground. There were even a number of campgrounds that refused us because of the trailer. Biggest headache was the tying and untying of the car on the trailer, which you must do to keep it from rolling around. We got pretty good at it and it was still a 10-15 minute job compare to 2-3 minutes on our 4 down car now.

Thanks everyone for the answers. I should have mentioned that I also will be hauling a couple of harley's from time to time. I can see the minus's you all mention. I suppose I can try it for awhile and see. I needed the trailer anyway.

Back
Top Bottom