Tie downs for a TC - What weight rating is needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokyp

I bought my TC rig (truck and camper) privately.  The 4 tie-downs on the truck are heavy eyebolts anchored to drop-in brackets in the 4 corner stake-holes of the truck bed.  The drop-in brackets are pretty bulky and interfere with the camper when unloading it.  If I want to change out these eye-brackets to something else, is there a weight-rating I should use?  My camper's dry weight is 1,700 lbs.  (I'd like to go with the tie-downs that are spring-loaded and lay flush with the bed when not needed).  Any suggestions or things to avoid?  Thanks!
Smoky P, Perkiomenville, PA  :-\

I use Happy Jacks on my rig which consist of a bracket installed on the forward bulkhead of the pick-up bed and leads to a small padeye on the outside of the bed, and a small bracket on the side of the rear bumper. The camper is secured with four turn buckles attached to the brackets and padeyes. You can figure about $250 for the complete set up.

Depending on how much you are willing to invest, a TorkLift system is the best.  I have oowned both.  I know best is subjective.  TL des cost more, but if you plan on having the truck awhile, it is worth it.  The truck mounts are all no drill.  They disappear when not using.  The HJ system has the ears that extend that will eventually bruise you. 

Go the next step and get the quick draw system, once you set the size, you mark the position, and setting turnbuckles is about a 60 second job.  I used to load and unload a lot, so really nice for me. 

Google TorkLift and check them out. 

BTW, loved the Happi Jacs while I had them.  Springloaded turnbuckles, fairly easy to do, but need to use a wrench.  QD, easier. 

I made my own front and rear "frame mount" setup before I knew about Torklift. Now I wish I had the TL tie downs. They're much cleaner and can easily be removed. Later on I bought the Torklift receiver hitch with an extension so I can tow my trailers, and also the quick release turnbuckles. They make nice stuff.

Yes, Torklift is the way to go.  I've used they other types and they eventually damage the truck body in some way.  This repair makes the Torklift solution cheaper than others that will eventually require this repair.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom