Where do you wash your RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennaman

OK may sound like a silly question, but we just took possesion of a new to us RV, and I would like to give it a good wash and wax.  Living in a cul-de-sac, it barely fits in the driveway.  Also we are not allowed to leave the RV in the driveway overnight.  ( my neighbors said they don't mind, so prior to a trip we will probably have it there overnight before a trip).  Is it OK to wash your RV at a campsite, or do they frown on that?  Or do campsites have places you can park your RV to wash it?  We store it in a cave, and I could wax it there, but not wash it.  Thanks  Phil

Phil:

I used to wash mine at work (airport) until we hit the road. More and more campgrounds are restricting washing RVs so when I find one that does allow it I jump at the opportunity. During the winter months we are at our lot in Happy Trails in AZ so that is where waxing gets done.

Check with campgrounds when registering, some allow washing, most don't. Some campgrounds have mobile services available that will come to your campsite and wash and wax, get prices beforehand.

Another option is that in route, most Blue Beacon truck washes will wash morothomes and do a pretty good job.

Most campgrounds prohibit washing, though a few allow it. Some charge a fee to cover the aggravation of water runoff, complaints from neighbors, soggy grass for the next camper, etc.

You might be interested in one of the "waterless" car wash products, such as ProtectAll Quick Wash
http://www.protectall.com/cat-Quick___Easy_Wash-3.aspx

You can "wash" most anywhere using that.

I just use a spray bottle with a mixture of 25% white vinegar & water and a microfiber cloth. It works fine as long as there isn't thick mud to get off.

A lot of do-it-yourself carwashes have an open bay where you can wash an RV if you have enough quarters. And I see "truck wash" places along the interstates a lot. Get a duster for getting off unstuck dust and dirt and microfiber cloths work well with plain water or Gary's water/vinegar mixture.

Wendy

Most campgrounds and/or RV resorts do not allow washing on site.  Some specify in their rules that it wastes too much water (drought areas where vehicle washing is prohibited everywhere) but also the practical reasons are messy water runoff and splashing your neighbors.  Usually no one will complain if you just want to do a quick front-end washing with a bucket to get off bugs before they harden.  Just don't get out your hose because then they'll think you're going to break their rule.  Some have a specified site out at the edge where you can wash it.

Mobile car washers generally do a pretty good job.  In fact, we have one who comes to our home.  He'll even do a special wheel rim polishing for a price.  We make an appointment and he comes on days he's going to be at a nearby RV park.  While traveling we occasionally use large bays at do-it-yourself car washes.  Some truck stops have truck washes but you do have to be careful of their high-power sprayers around windows where the caulking can be broken.  Up in Alaska you'll find some campgrounds have car washes because the mud can get pretty bad when they wet down road construction sites.  Up there you don't want it to harden because then it's really hard to get off - kind of like cement!  Sometimes, when the RV isn't too dirty, we do a quick washing ourselves.  Jerry washes, I use a long-handle squeegie to get most of the water off, and then we finish drying off water spots with towels.

We also use Protect All as well as a California Duster when it's just dust accumulation.  In other words, we do "all of the above" depending on the circumstances.

ArdraF

geodrake said:
Blue Beacon is our choice.

I always wondered about those places.  What does a drive-thru wash cost for an RV?

I've washed mine in my own driveway before, with extensions wands on the hose.  It takes a long time to do it right.  I've started with waterless hand washing products before (still have a mostly full bottle of Dri Wash n Guard) but never had the time or patience to finish that route.  ;)  Same with waxing regrettably. 

drive-thru wash cost for an RV

Places like truck washes usually go by the foot, as do the mobile wash people who come around.  With the do-it-yourself places, be sure you have LOTS of quarters!  ;)

ArdraF

I have a 38" motorhome. Had it washed at Blue Beacon last month. $35.00 for wash---$12.00 for Rain-X sealant.

Frank Hurst said:
I have a 38" motorhome. Had it washed at Blue Beacon last month. $35.00 for wash---$12.00 for Rain-X sealant.

I checked out their website, such a deal and they are in every direction that we go. Do you know how many times I wanted to go elsewhere for a wash to give me a break and couldn't find one? Always googled "RV wash" or something to that extent and never came up with anything for our area.

Seen the Blue Beacon on several occasions but it always stated "truck wash" so now that I have viewed their website and thanks to you all for pointing it out, I know where we will be going on a frequent basis. So thanks for asking Phil!  ;D

I was the outside,and my wife cleans the inside.....................

Sorry I don't know why I say these things. My doctors say I am making good progress though..

Agree with all of the above..

tallyo said:
I was the outside,and my wife cleans the inside.....................
Sorry I don't know why I say these things. My doctors say I am making good progress though..
Agree with all of the above..

LOL, to get my DH in trouble since I do the inside and outside? So does this mean you go to Blue Beacon and your wife does the inside? LOL again!

Dar said:
LOL, to get my DH in trouble since I do the inside and outside? So does this mean you go to Blue Beacon and your wife does the inside? LOL again!

Sometimes I go to Blue Beacon ......I learned along time ago that if I do a job I don't like to do sloppy, then she never asks me to do that job again........ 8)

Blue Beacon work rules prohibit workers from washing the roof  - they use a flood system to at least move off the loose stuff. A real roof wash will require a mobile or a DIY. I don't recommend the latter as I was told a few years ago by an insurance company most RV claims are for owners falling off roof or a ladder. (Reason for Blue Beacon rule) The latter happened to a close friend of mine in AZ several years ago while cleaning his front window in preparation for leaving to come to our rally. He was standing on a short ladder and lost balance falling backwards and striking head on pad concrete. He lived only a few hours.

blueblood said:
The latter happened to a close friend of mine in AZ several years ago while cleaning his front window in preparation for leaving to come to our rally. He was standing on a short ladder and lost balance falling backwards and striking head on pad concrete. He lived only a few hours.

Wow Leo, that's horrable, I am so sorry to hear that! Goes to show just how dangerous those things are. Shoot, I broke my back years ago falling down a regular flight of stairs so I guess I have really lucked out on bouncing around the ladders around the RV. Everyone be careful cleaning your RV's, no more stories like Leo's please.
Dar

most RV claims are for owners falling off roof or a ladder.

Yep!  Fell off 6-foot ladder cleaning outside of motorhome.  Broke elbow - three surgeries.  But, my outcome was a whole lot better than Leo's friend.  We now avoid ladders - don't even put up Christmas lights anymore.

By the way, make sure you have the maximum medical coverage on your automobile and RV policies.  As soon as the hospital admitting heard the word "motorhome" they told us that the motorhome insurance would pay first and then our regular health insurance would be second payer.  At the time we did not have the maximum amount and that was corrected as soon as all my medical bills were paid.  We now have maximum medical on all our vehicles.  If you broke a finger working on your automobile, they'll cover the medical costs.

ArdraF

Try this: Get one of those compressor connected pressure washers. It is nothing more than a pressure washer end with a siphon hose that goes into a bucket. With a full tank of fresh water you have more than enough to wash any sized MH or RV.

I use ICE washing liquid and mix it into a large bucket. I can blast off the heavy dirt of there is any real fast. Under wheel washing is a cinch. The whole affair costs about 12 bucks I think, from Home Depot.

For drying I use microfiber towels on a stick extension. I have it down to about 45 minutes to do the Journey, roof included.

As to where. Anywhere. Not places you shouldn't do it of course but just drive somewhere and pull off the road. A country road is perfect. That little bit of soapy water and a rinse isn't going to hurt anything and if you pick a nice quiet place, a lunch after the cleaning works well too.

I wash the MH about 12 times a year. All of the gear to do this is in one bucket. I use warm water to wash and cold water to rinse.

A wet/dry vac set to blow air drys everything really fast and the microfiber towels touch up. 45 min from start to clean and shiny as new.

Back
Top Bottom